K3 and Raw Files

fatboy123cycling

Link Posted 23/10/2014 - 16:21
Can you help?
What do people use for the download of Raw files?
Use the camera to convert files to JPEG or
Do they use the Pentax / Ricoh software with PEF files or
Do they use DNG and Adobe - which is comparable?

vic cross

Link Posted 23/10/2014 - 17:04
DNG in the camera then download to Adobe. I'm also trying to learn LightRoom. CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

Helpful

fatboy123cycling

Link Posted 23/10/2014 - 17:21
Thanks Vic, which Lightroom are you using and does it open the files automatically

harwood6120

Link Posted 23/10/2014 - 18:15
I use DNG from the camera copied/saved to my HD and then imported from there into Lightroom 5. Works every time.
I am having trouble importing and therefore viewing the DNG files on my iPad Air as it doesn't seem to recognise the K3 file format.

Dave H

Helpful

Blythman

Link Posted 23/10/2014 - 18:31
DNG to lightroom, everytime
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Helpful

bforbes

Link Posted 23/10/2014 - 19:07
Blythman wrote:
DNG to lightroom, everytime

+1
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

davidstorm

Link Posted 23/10/2014 - 23:52
DNG to Adobe Camera RAW, then into Photoshop. I always also use the second card for recording JPEG images, these are easier to sift through on my PC, as my copy of Adobe Bridge will not render the K-3 DNG's. Windows will display them, but colours are off. Once imported into ACR, everything is perfect.

Regards
David
Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Helpful

vic cross

Link Posted 24/10/2014 - 09:18
Fatboy. Ask the question of Alan (Blythman) He seems to know it well. I'll learn from him too. As I said I'm just trying to learn Lightroom.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

Blythman

Link Posted 24/10/2014 - 09:41
When I put an sd card into the computer, lightroom automatically opens. And opens the import photos and videos module.

When someone inserts an sd card, a dialogue box comes up asking what you want the computer to do. Can't recall, but I reckon I must have set it to open lightroom everytime.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Helpful

harwood6120

Link Posted 24/10/2014 - 09:51
Alan
Lightroom defaults to open and ask to import from a SD card when inserted and can be turned off in preferences.
Windows will also ask what you wan to do unless you have already set an action for inserting a card.
It's better to copy the files from the card to hard drive and import from there, otherwise you only have the virtual versions Lightroom works on during processing.
Dave H

Helpful

fatboy123cycling

Link Posted 24/10/2014 - 09:58
Thank you for taking the time to reply - all really good information. Which version of Lightroom do you use - does it matter for the K3 - is it best to buy the latest version?

McGregNi

Link Posted 24/10/2014 - 10:05
I use iMatch (www.photools.com), an image management programme, and I have stopped copying every photo from the cards to the computer now, it just wastes space and time ... iMatch will scan the folders on the SD card and display thumbnails of every shot - it displays the embedded jpeg, so there's no processing time involved, and also as I do try and set the camera up approximately for the shoot, then I'm seeing the shots near enough to what they should be looking like.

Then I just go through and choose the best ones, (thumbnails can be made bigger) then select in iMatch and drag across to the folder navigation tree display on the left, and drop the selection onto my main laptop folder for editing ('Pentax for Editing'). iMatch makes the copy action, then I can remove the card and use it more or format if I am finished with it.

Its worth mentioning that I never re-format an SD card until I have an additional backup of all the files just copied onto the computer - I do this with DVD discs and store them away securely.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 24/10/2014 - 10:06

Helpful

vic cross

Link Posted 24/10/2014 - 10:13
http://tv.adobe.com/show/getting-started-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-5/
Try this site. I'm learning from it a bit at a time.
Ask the right question of the right people and you get the right answer.
CHEERS Vic.

Helpful

Blythman

Link Posted 24/10/2014 - 10:15
Here's is a walkthrough from Adobe http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/importing-photos-lightroom-basic-workflow....

Dave H, when I import into lightroom from my sd card, Lightroom also saves the file to my hard drive as outlined in the above.

Paul, there are more features in the latest version of lightroom. Lightroom 4 is a big step up from version 3.Version 5 isn't such a big jump, although I think it supports later versions of Adobe Camera Raw
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Helpful

harwood6120

Link Posted 24/10/2014 - 10:25
Thanks Alan
As I have always imported into Lightroom as previously described I obviously missed the file copying bit. It's how I used to do it before Lightroom and just kept with the same process.
Curry's are selling Lightroom 5 for about 59.99 by the way.
Dave H

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.