K20D rear LCD cover or replacement screen?

bretbysteve
Posted 14/05/2009 - 18:30 Link
Hi,

1. Are there any worthwhile covers for the rear LCD screen?

2. Has anyone tried these?: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=29...

3. Anyone replaced the LCD screen with a new Pentax one, or knows how easy/hard this is to do?

cheers Steve.M.
woodworm
Posted 14/05/2009 - 18:51 Link
I bought one for my GX-20. I didn't like it much so took it off and chucked it after 10 minutes.

It didn't fit brilliantly on the GX-20, not sure if the back of the K20D is slightly different shape?

I have one of those cheapo ones on my K10D, the type where you cut out the shape required and just stick on and think that's better as it doesn't show up finger prints like the actual screen does but it probably wouldn't protect the screen from a direct hit from anything ...

I personally won't bother with any type of screen protector in the future as they seem to be quite tough.
Bob and his Pentax
Posted 14/05/2009 - 19:05 Link
Have a look at link which is a previous thread on this from 14 months back.

In that I said that I had just bought Giottos screen protectors for my K10D and K20D, and which ones I bought (from Warehouse Express). Measure the edge to edge size of the LCD not the display size to ensure you get the screen protector to match that size - the K20D LCD is specified as 2.75" but requires the Giottos 3" screen protector due to one meauring to inside of border and one to the outside of border.

Having used them for over a year I can say that they are fit and forget. The glass is tough and there are no scratches on the screens although one does have a small chip in the edge.

I haven't tried to remove one so I dont know how easy that is.

The protectors in your link to ebay seem to be the same general specification as the Giottos ones.

Having scratched my K10D screen by having it rub against a zip pull of a coat for only a short time (not enough to require repair but enough to produce a slightly 'frosted' area) I think fitting one of these is a no brainer and I will be fitting one ASAP to any new digital cameras I buy in the future.

I think that will definitely be cheeper than getting a new screen fitted by Pentax as I dought if scratch damage would be considered a warranty repair.
Good luck

Bob

Pentax user since 1978, Digital since 1997.
Kit includes: K-7, K20D, K10D, *istDS, full set DA* lens, etc
Edited by Bob and his Pentax: 14/05/2009 - 19:07
jackitec
Posted 14/05/2009 - 19:40 Link
Hi, I fitted one of these to my K20's best thing ever, I ordered one for my X70 same size screen, better safe than sorry, I highly recommend these screens.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo