K20D and P(MTF)
Posted 03/06/2010 - 09:01
Link
But how did the pictures look?
.........all the gear, no idea!
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)
Posted 03/06/2010 - 11:13
Link
I must admit to being quite sceptical regarding the usefulness of MTF, consequently I've never used it. It's interesting to hear how your shots have turned out using the setting though
Simon
Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
Posted 03/06/2010 - 12:54
Link
The pictures are fine of course, I'm just surprised at the results since received wisdom and anecdotal evidence suggest these lenses perfom best stopped down a bit more. Pentax clearly think differently.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 03/06/2010 - 13:03
Link
It is true that theory says that best resulots will be had at wider apertures, but that depends on a more or less perfect lens design.
Most zooms performa better stopped down more. I wonder if they have assumed no decentering for the MTF values - in other words, the theoretical best performance assuming a perfectly assembled lens.
Most zooms performa better stopped down more. I wonder if they have assumed no decentering for the MTF values - in other words, the theoretical best performance assuming a perfectly assembled lens.
Best regards, John
Posted 03/06/2010 - 13:19
Link
I think you might be right John, primes are so good that perhaps it doesn't matter much which f-stop you use but with zooms it must be based on theoretical lenses.
Interestingly, though, my 18-55 at f6.7 is stunningly sharp but I still would have thought that the zoom figures might have been the other way round.
Interestingly, though, my 18-55 at f6.7 is stunningly sharp but I still would have thought that the zoom figures might have been the other way round.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 03/06/2010 - 15:08
Link
It may be that the selection is a compromise between sharpness and bokeh(...or depth of field).
Although I have to say I have been quite suprised how sharp many of my lenses (older primes and DA kit zoom) can be at maximum aperature under the right lighting conditions.
Although I have to say I have been quite suprised how sharp many of my lenses (older primes and DA kit zoom) can be at maximum aperature under the right lighting conditions.
.........all the gear, no idea!
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)
Posted 05/06/2010 - 23:47
Link
I'm still using F8 and be there.
"Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake
My current Harem comprising: "Mistress" Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, "Good Lady" Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, "Friendly Lady" Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, "Street Lady" Pentax-A 28mm F2.8, "Bohemian Lady" Pentax-A 35mm F2.0, "Retro Lady" SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, "Special Lady" Pentax-A 50mm F1.2, "Femme Fatale" Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro, "Sweetheart" Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4, "Lady Luck" Pentax* 135mm F1.8, "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED, "Duchess" Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0, "Lady Gaga & Entourage" Pentax-A* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF], "The Queen" Pentax 500mm F4.5
My current Harem comprising: "Mistress" Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, "Good Lady" Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, "Friendly Lady" Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, "Street Lady" Pentax-A 28mm F2.8, "Bohemian Lady" Pentax-A 35mm F2.0, "Retro Lady" SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, "Special Lady" Pentax-A 50mm F1.2, "Femme Fatale" Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro, "Sweetheart" Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4, "Lady Luck" Pentax* 135mm F1.8, "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED, "Duchess" Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0, "Lady Gaga & Entourage" Pentax-A* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF], "The Queen" Pentax 500mm F4.5
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6724 posts
20 years
Glasgow,
Scotland
DA 18-55 @ 18mm = f4.5
DA 18-55 @ 55mm = f6.7
DA 16-45 @ 16mm = f4
DA 16-45 @ 45mm = f5.6
DA 50-200 @ 50mm = f4.5
DA 50-200 @ 200mm = f6.7
DA 40 LTD = f4
I must say I'm very surprised at the 'wide open' results
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -