Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K200d lens?

Cressy
Posted 29/01/2009 - 15:24 Link
Hi, im pretty new to photography, and ive been choosing a camera to buy for a while.
Ive decided to buy the pentax k200d which im sure you all will no is a beginners camera!
Im just stuck on the lens option!!
I have three options
the 18-55mm lens
the 18-55mm, the 55-200mm
or the 18-250mm lens

I would use the smaller lens more but I would like a bigger lens just for flexability!
Is the 18-55mm stock lens good enough for simple photogrpahy? or is the 18-250mm miles better?
I would just like a bit of input or your sucsesses with your lens.
As i say, im a noob to photography.
Thanks again,
Matty
jon.dc
Posted 29/01/2009 - 15:40 Link
IMO it depend on your planned usage of the camera.

I personally found the 18-55 OK for indoors but limited once I got outdoors, so I soon plumped for the 18-250 to save swapping lenses over.

However a year on I am know upgrading to faster lenses, of which this range will not be covered by one lens. So its a choice between which lenses I buy to make up the desired range.

A bit of a horses for courses thing depending on your needs and budget.

If you decide to go for the 18-250, I have a mint Pentax DA one for sale thats about a year old.
Anvh
Posted 29/01/2009 - 15:49 Link
Hi Matty welcome to the Forum.

It's really what you want to do with the camera with decides what for lens you will use. The best way is to get the good lenses from the started and not trying to save your budget on buying cheap, you will always end up buying it anyway.

The 18-55 mark II is a fine lens for a kit lens and will do you certainly good for the first few years. You might want to get the DA 16-45 f/4 instead if you are into landscape since it's wider and much sharper then the kitlens but if you would hardly use it there isn't much sense into buy it. If you want to do portrait the DA 17-70 would be the preferd option since the range 50-70 is very usefull then. so that's something to decide.

the DA 18-250 preforms almost the same as the kitlens in that range and onto high in the 100mm it's quite good. It's the trade off that you make to have an all in one lens, it does everything good but not as good as a dictated lens will.

The DA 55-200 preforms the same as the 18-250 I think but does it for far less money. the DA 50-300 would be you better option and with the length going to 300mm it will do well for bird and wildlife photography.

It's really where your interest are that decides what do get, most will go for the combination DA 16-45 and DA 50-300 you have 2 good lenses that will do almost everything and the little gap is solved by one step forward or backward
Most will also get the FA 50mm f/1.4 for the aperture and the image quality since almost nothing can beat a prime lens.

Like I said a good lens will last you a life time so don't be afraid to spend some money on that and don't make fast desicions like buying the 18-250 and find out it isn't for you and want more reach and you get the 50-300. if that would happen you would be better of with the 18-55 and the 50-300 to start with and buy a lens that suit your purpose if you want the best result.

edit: typos
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 29/01/2009 - 15:53
johnriley
Posted 29/01/2009 - 16:32 Link
In terms of cost the 18-55mm is hard to beat and it is a decent lens. Add the 50-200mm to it and you have a very compact outfit that focuses close and shares a 52mm filter thread.

I would go for that and if after a while you find a particular need for a different sort of lens, then that is the time to broaden your outfit.

In other words, leave your options as open as possible for now and your costs as reasonable as possible.
Best regards, John
scottthehat
Posted 29/01/2009 - 20:14 Link
hi matty and welcome i would go for the 18-250mm, not saying the others arnt no good. but as your new to it i would start with one lens that covers a good range and the 18-250mm does that, it is an awsome lens.
i have had multi lenses and now i only use one on each camera to save on changing lenses and getting dust and durt in the camera, my fav lens is my tamron 18-200mm, have a look at my portfoli pics ,all pics taken with this lens. and the pentax 18-250mm is suppose to be better,
just keep snapping,

https://pentaxphotogallery.com/scottbenson

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/scottthehat/

CAMERAS = k200d + battery grip.
nikon d300 + battery grip.
LENSES = tamron aspherical DII 18-200mm f3.5/6.3,
nikon 18-200mm afs vr f3.5/5.6 g dx
sigma 150-500mm apo dg hsm os
sigma 170-500mm apo dg
FLASH = samsung sef36pzf flash + more.
Katier
Posted 29/01/2009 - 20:48 Link
"which im sure you all will no is a beginners camera!"

WRONG!!!

It's a very good choice for a beginner but it's not a 'entry level' camera at all. It's plenty good enough to take you all the way from complete novice to semi-pro standard.

Anyway back to the question, I'll let the others guide you on that, just wanted to highlight a slight error in your post
Cressy
Posted 29/01/2009 - 22:31 Link
Yeh your right katier. Ive been looking at endless reviews and they all say its top of its class with alot of fetures you find on semi-pro cameras.
And thanks everyone for your input.
It seems to be mixed opinions though
I think I may go for the 18-55mm lens.
I dont think I will need anymore than that even though I would like a bit of extra zoom.
And I have a mate who works in currys and they only sell it with that lens so I can get a discount
Thanks Anvh, I will keep all those options in mind when I come to upgrade my lens.
Thanks all!!!
Matty

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.