K200D and Metz AF36
Posted 13/05/2009 - 00:42
Link
P-TTL work in every mode but Bulb I believe but it might even work in that.
The newer pentax model cameras don't have TTL anymore so P-TTL is the only option. You can't set the camera to any flash mode, they are all P-TTL with the build in flash for example, you can change the metering mode on your flashgun, the camera simply follows.
BTW you can see the pre-flash if you put the flash on trailing curtain and set the camera to a long exposure. You see a flash at the begining, that's the pre-flash and one at the end of the exposure.
I'm not sure 100% sure if flash exposure compensation work when the camera is in manual but I believe so though, need to try that out.
The newer pentax model cameras don't have TTL anymore so P-TTL is the only option. You can't set the camera to any flash mode, they are all P-TTL with the build in flash for example, you can change the metering mode on your flashgun, the camera simply follows.
BTW you can see the pre-flash if you put the flash on trailing curtain and set the camera to a long exposure. You see a flash at the begining, that's the pre-flash and one at the end of the exposure.
chrissinkpen wrote:
why doesn't exposure compensation work in manual mode?
Because it's manual so you need to set the exposure yourself or wasn't that the problem?why doesn't exposure compensation work in manual mode?
I'm not sure 100% sure if flash exposure compensation work when the camera is in manual but I believe so though, need to try that out.
Posted 13/05/2009 - 00:43
Link
You can not turn P-TTL off and on at the camera! the camera is designed for P-TTL flash only. It does not support TTL. If the flash you have is P-TTL compatible then it will work on all camera modes.
You can change the flash settings to manual though.
You can change the flash settings to manual though.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 13/05/2009 - 00:47
Link
Beat me too it Stefan
Ev works in manual on my K20 but not on my DS. So I suspect it doesn't with the K200.
Ev works in manual on my K20 but not on my DS. So I suspect it doesn't with the K200.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 13/05/2009 - 00:57
Link
Clarky, at least we both are saying the same so that's good
What kind of EV do you mean Clarky the flash or the camera.
If it's about the EV on the camera in manual mode I'm quite curious how that should work.
I've the K10D and the K200D is in between that and the K20D with features so if the K10D can do it then also probable the K200D.
What kind of EV do you mean Clarky the flash or the camera.
If it's about the EV on the camera in manual mode I'm quite curious how that should work.
I've the K10D and the K200D is in between that and the K20D with features so if the K10D can do it then also probable the K200D.
Posted 13/05/2009 - 01:11
Link
I was refering to the camera, With the K20 in Manual mode I can dial in + or - EV compensation, but on my DS I cannot.
Maybe it can be done on the K200, I was only assuming it was a feature on the K20.
You would be able to dial in exposure compensation through the flash though, I thought Chris was refering to the camera :
Maybe it can be done on the K200, I was only assuming it was a feature on the K20.
You would be able to dial in exposure compensation through the flash though, I thought Chris was refering to the camera :
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 13/05/2009 - 11:37
Link
Thanks for help so far,probably didn't make my question clear.
There are no controls on the Metz AF36, spoke to pentax felt more confused. The instructions with the camera in my view are poor considering this is a beginner camera. My limited knowledge so far is telling me that you cant just plug a flash on and point and shoot am I right, they have to be worked! seems like the metering is a bit hit and miss, i think that is where i'm confused, in a way the newbie is led to believe that you can use an SLR as a point and shoot hmmmmmmm
I dont, just me needing to understand how things work.
great cam and great images
thanks all Chris
There are no controls on the Metz AF36, spoke to pentax felt more confused. The instructions with the camera in my view are poor considering this is a beginner camera. My limited knowledge so far is telling me that you cant just plug a flash on and point and shoot am I right, they have to be worked! seems like the metering is a bit hit and miss, i think that is where i'm confused, in a way the newbie is led to believe that you can use an SLR as a point and shoot hmmmmmmm
I dont, just me needing to understand how things work.
great cam and great images
thanks all Chris
Posted 13/05/2009 - 13:26
Link
Chris, Not sure this will work with your K200 but with the flash turned on select the FN button on the back of the camera, using the 4 way button press down to open the flash menu, there should be an icon at the bottom left of the screen, using the thumb wheel you should be able to dial in + or - compensation.
I'm not familiar with this flash but if it is P-TTL compatible then just put the camera in AV mode and you should be able to fire away with just a few adjustments as I have explained above.
I'm not familiar with this flash but if it is P-TTL compatible then just put the camera in AV mode and you should be able to fire away with just a few adjustments as I have explained above.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 13/05/2009 - 15:17
Link
Clarky wrote:
I was refering to the camera, With the K20 in Manual mode I can dial in + or - EV compensation, but on my DS I cannot.
Okay I never knew that, I've tried with the K10D but it does nothing and to behonest I don't know what it should do?I was refering to the camera, With the K20 in Manual mode I can dial in + or - EV compensation, but on my DS I cannot.
With the K10D I simple get to seee the EV bar and were your exposure is at I don't see how EV compensation comes into play, can you set the zero point to -1 EV or something like that?
chrissinkpen wrote:
The instructions with the camera in my view are poor considering this is a beginner camera.
Wait till you get one from another brand in your hands The instructions with the camera in my view are poor considering this is a beginner camera.
This might be a good book for you, see it as a very extended manual link.
In a way you can use SLR as point and shoot but not the one you've though it's a bit more for advance users the K-M might have suited your better in that need.
The thing with point and shoot is that everything is automated so you've no idea what's going on with SLR features have been kept a bit simpler and so more predictable to understand on how they would behave but you need to know what they do though.
I also don't have the Metz36 but thought it was like his bigger brothers but that isn't the case.
You can't adjust a lot with your camera so everything needs to be done on your flash, there is no way around this.
The Metz support P-TTL and what I see from other sites that's the only mode so simply click it on your camera and that's it.
You can change the kind of flash modes, like trailing curtain and such.
P-TTL thends to underexpose so go into the FN menu on your camera and set the flash EV compensation on +0.7 or +1, you photos will be better exposed.
I hope this answer your question.
Simply set it on your camera and start shooting.
ps. we're talking about the mecablitz 36 AF-4 here and not the mecablitz 36 C-2 :::
Posted 13/05/2009 - 18:10
Link
Thanks once again for advice, I will go away and play with settings. been useful advise, thanks for link.
BTW-it is an AF36-4.
back soon
Chris
BTW-it is an AF36-4.
back soon
Chris
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



631 posts
17 years
West Wiltshire
Iam a newbie so sorry if I dont make sense,the Metz is dedicated, but how do i switch the camera to P-TTL mode? I find the manual a bit useless really,so am I right in thinking that the pre-flash is so quick that you cant see it? And which modes does P-TTL work.
I think these are fantastic cameras, built to last- brilliant!!
Oh another puzzle, why doesn't exposure compensation work in manual mode? I intend to work in manual most of the time, I love to learn how these cameras work.
Great forum BTW.
Would really appreciate some good advice- I'm thinking I should have bought a pentax flash-any thoughts.
Regards
Chris
K200d,18-55,50-200,cosina 80-200,AF36-4