K2 stuck shutter
Posted 08/05/2005 - 09:54
Link
With electronic shutters, the first thing I would check is the batteries and the battery contacts. If the power is interrupted either through dead or dying batteries, or perhaps through oxidation on the contacts, then electronic shutters may lock up the mirror.
The other reason for inordinately long exposures can be firing the shutter on auto with the lens cap on!
If your elctronic shutter had stayed open for six hours whilst there was power in the system, then that would pretty much exhaust the batteries anyway. The camera is using power to keep the shutter open.
If attending to the batteries doesn't work, also ensure the lens is locked in place properly, as a part-inserted lens can cause some problems as well.
The other reason for inordinately long exposures can be firing the shutter on auto with the lens cap on!
If your elctronic shutter had stayed open for six hours whilst there was power in the system, then that would pretty much exhaust the batteries anyway. The camera is using power to keep the shutter open.
If attending to the batteries doesn't work, also ensure the lens is locked in place properly, as a part-inserted lens can cause some problems as well.
Best regards, John
Posted 08/05/2005 - 14:53
Link
Let's hope it's the batteries. Otherwise I doubt that there is much anybody can do.
Still, it's done thirty years. Although my Leica shutter is still working after 63 years, it's had a pretty easy time in my ownership. I think thirty years is good going for any mechanical contrivance, especially when it's not made of cast iron.
I bought a K2 when they first came out. Lovely camera. However, I wouldn't advise replacing it because the next one could also go at any time. For the same money you could probably get a ZX5 or 5n.
Still, it's done thirty years. Although my Leica shutter is still working after 63 years, it's had a pretty easy time in my ownership. I think thirty years is good going for any mechanical contrivance, especially when it's not made of cast iron.
I bought a K2 when they first came out. Lovely camera. However, I wouldn't advise replacing it because the next one could also go at any time. For the same money you could probably get a ZX5 or 5n.
Posted 08/05/2005 - 15:04
Link
Thanks for the replies. It's not the batteries as they are testing fine and the second time it locked I had taken the batteries out anyway. The contacts look okay but I'll check it again.
It's funny, my backup is a ZX-5. I can't stand it. The pictures are fine but it is so unpleasant to use compared to the K2 which is a total joy for me.
Right now it's working again, I'm going to take it out for a shoot today and hope for the best, and perhaps take it in to a shop tomorrow.
Dave
It's funny, my backup is a ZX-5. I can't stand it. The pictures are fine but it is so unpleasant to use compared to the K2 which is a total joy for me.
Right now it's working again, I'm going to take it out for a shoot today and hope for the best, and perhaps take it in to a shop tomorrow.
Dave
Posted 08/05/2005 - 21:49
Link
Hi Dave,
If you want a good repairer in the USA, I haeard nothing but absolute praise about a repairer called Eric who is a Pentax specialist particularly of manual cameras. His contact details are:
Eric Hendrickson
[email protected]">[email protected]
272 Shoffner Rd
Sharps Chapel, TN 37866
Fax/phone 865 278-1051
www.pentaxs.com
Regards
Kim
If you want a good repairer in the USA, I haeard nothing but absolute praise about a repairer called Eric who is a Pentax specialist particularly of manual cameras. His contact details are:
Eric Hendrickson
[email protected]">[email protected]
272 Shoffner Rd
Sharps Chapel, TN 37866
Fax/phone 865 278-1051
www.pentaxs.com
Regards
Kim
Quote:
Right now it's working again, I'm going to take it out for a shoot today and hope for the best, and perhaps take it in to a shop tomorrow.
Dave
Right now it's working again, I'm going to take it out for a shoot today and hope for the best, and perhaps take it in to a shop tomorrow.
Dave
Posted 14/06/2005 - 02:00
Link
I had the same problem some time ago my local repairer [a pentax nut] fixed it and told me not to leave the camera wound on when I finnish shooting to avoid it happening again, Its been 10years or so at least so the repair and advice was good for me.
Posted 14/06/2005 - 08:05
Link
That's good advice with all older cameras - don't leave the shutter tensioned. Unfortunately modern cameras have built in motors, so we don't have a choice with those!
Best regards, John
Posted 15/06/2005 - 16:25
Link
I do usually leave the shutter un-cocked. After working and then not working and then working again I decided to take it in to the shop. Wanting to avoid shipping I took it to phototech repair here in NYC. I should pick it up today, hopefully I will be happy with the results. They do a 6-month warranty and I've heard good things about them before.
Dave
Dave
Posted 15/06/2005 - 20:59
Link
Just a follow-up, I do have the camera back now. Time will have to tell whether the stuck-shutter issue is gone but judging by everything else I'll guess it is. The camera feels great, they tightened up the mirror action a great deal, much less vibration, and everything seems perfect. Cost a bit but well worth it in my opinion.
Dave
Dave
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


16 posts
21 years
NY
Dave