K135mm f/2.5

womble

Link Posted 02/06/2022 - 13:33
As some of you will know, in an attempt to get away from the 2021 blues I have been doing the "Single in ...." challenge on the US fora. Basically, one tries to take and post one image a day for a month using the same lens. This month I have been using one of the first K-series primes I purchased, the K135mm f/2.5. This one was purchased around about 2009 or so. When I was moving house last December I found a receipt for the 135mm lens I purchased in 1986 which was stolen (along with my M28/2.8, M50/1.7 and MX) on the Paris Metro in about 1999. In those days I didn't have the internet to scour and feed my LBA and I didn't remember that my original lens was also a K135/2.5. The post below is my monthly round-up which I have copied here for anyone who is interested. This month (June) I am going to use one of my latest acquisitions, the K20/4.

=============

May is often a busy month for me as I have to do a lot of grading. I used to have a trip to the US in the middle but the event was cancelled because of covid in 2020 and hasn't been reinstated. As a result I had a lot of "safeties" including one or two terrible ones which I'll gloss quickly over. The main issue I have with the K135/2.5 is that it is not very close focusing. As a result, my extension tubes got a lot of use this month, often just the thin 13mm one which is enough to bring focusing down to about 1m or so. I have no idea why, but I seemed to have more problems focussing the 135mm using the viewfinder than I did with the K120 earlier in the year. Whenever I could (basically when I could use a tripod), I used live view to refine the focus. Only once did I knock the dial when turning the camera on and accidentally set the focal length to 1135mm. I'm getting better at checking. I also think that the contrast etc. would be improved with a lens hood. I have an original appropriate plastic clip-on hood but one of the clips is not quite right and it tends to fall off, so it didn't get used much. Before I moved house I used to use a metal screw-in Takumar hood which was much better but I couldn't find which box those ended-up in!

All in all, it is a nice lens and I'm happy to have it and use it. It is nice and sharp when you nail the focus and quite bright. I suspect, however, that the K120mm might see a little more use on the basis of the two SIC months with these two lenses, Here are a few unmarkable images.

May 28: rose par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

May 02: Cougar par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

May 12: Knebworth churchyard par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

May 24: walking by par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

May 07: Hampton Gay par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

May 06: SV par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

May 09: odd one out par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

LennyBloke

Link Posted 02/06/2022 - 15:45
A varied and interesting selection Kris - "walking by" is a rather touching reminder of bad times and "rose" has such quality and beauty. Using a short extension tube on telephoto lenses is a great way to enhance the scope of the lens, I often use one on my A*85 - and am always pleased with the results
LennyBloke

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 06/06/2022 - 12:47
The rose is wonderful, it's an all rounder lens!
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - K3ii - two Z-1P - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Sigma EX 20mm - FA 28-70mm f4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

My Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.