K10D wireless flash mode
Posted 31/10/2007 - 13:56
Link
You cannot turn off the camera built-in flash's pre-flash. This is why dumb remote flashes don't work well.. they often flash on the pre-flash and the light is gone before the photo is taken.
Hopefully the Sigma flash will handle PTTL. I don't know enough about those, but I suspect a wireless compatible flash without PTTL would be rather useless.
You can control, from the camera's menus, whether the built-in flash contributes to the exposure or not.
Note, the built-in flash will always contribute some small amount even when "turned off"... that is how it tells the remotes to fire. So reflective surfaces may pick up the built-in flash regardless of that setting.
Hopefully the Sigma flash will handle PTTL. I don't know enough about those, but I suspect a wireless compatible flash without PTTL would be rather useless.
You can control, from the camera's menus, whether the built-in flash contributes to the exposure or not.
Note, the built-in flash will always contribute some small amount even when "turned off"... that is how it tells the remotes to fire. So reflective surfaces may pick up the built-in flash regardless of that setting.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


829 posts
18 years
South East London
I have read the the Sigma DG-530 Super is compatable with the wireless flash mode, however, what does this mean in practice?
From one point I though that setting the flash mode to wireless would turn off the pre flash, however, this is not the case (based on my tests).
Does this mean that if I was to use the 530 Super, I can use it as a full pTTL slave in conjunction with the pop-up flash? I.e. both light the picture?
I am thinking of getting the 530 Super but would like to better understand what it will give me. I already own the Pentax eXtra flash and have successfully got that to work.
: