K10D and Tamron Adaptall 2 mount don't play nice

AdrianP

Link Posted 07/03/2007 - 18:48
Hi all

I recently purchased, via the auction site, a Tamron Adaptall 2 mount in PKA bayonet. The mount is pristine and, coupled with a 28mm f2.5 lens, works perfectly in aperture priority, shutter priority, manual and programme on my MZ-5N. The trouble is, it won't display any aperture information on my K10D which is a bit troublesome because I've absolutely no idea what aperture I'm choosing when I spin the control dial around. (BTW, I am setting and locking the lens to the AE position).

I've had a quick test in various modes and it seems to be providing generally correct exposures it's just that it won't tell me what those exposures are!

Anyone got a K10D to work properly with an Adaptall 2 lens?

Adrian

jps

Link Posted 08/03/2007 - 17:28
Hi Adrian,

I regularly use an Adaptall 2 mount lens on a K100D, with great results. I get aperture information in the viewfinder most of the time, but occasionally it goes missing. I find that a little nudge of the mount (near the button for auto aperture) restores aperture info. If you don't get this information at all I'd try re-mounting the Adaptall 2 mount on the lens.

Hope this helps a bit,

Jonathan

AdrianP

Link Posted 11/03/2007 - 22:13
Jonathan

Thanks very much for the response. I spent most of Sunday afternoon mounting and remounting the lens and then trying to nudge the mount some. Basically, nothing but I will keep trying.

Thanks for your help though.

Adrian.

jps

Link Posted 12/03/2007 - 17:38
Adrian,

Sorry if I'm just stating the obvious here (which I'm sure I am as you say you're getting correct exposures when adjusting the aperture with the thumbwheel), but the aperture ring needs to be closed down to the smallest aperture, then the button on the left of the lens (as you hold the camera) needs to be depressed so you can turn the aperture ring a bit further into the "automatic" position. Maybe try pushing this button in and ensuring the aperture ring is turned as far as it will go? On mine it sometimes seems to be turned as far as it can go, yet if I'm lacking aperture info I push the button & turn it a bit further (even though it's already in "auto", & that often brings the information back in the viewfinder.

I'm sure that's what you're already doing, but just in case...

Jonathan

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 12/03/2007 - 17:43
Hi Adrian,

I work at Bedfords Park Visitor Centre, Havering-atte-bower, so not far from you. I've got a PKA mount (on my Tamron 300 2.8 ), it works fine on my istD. If you wanted to try that on your K10D, you're more than welcome to, at least that would show whether it was a camera problem or a lens/mount problem.

Let me know if you're coming up, I only work part-time there and I haven't always got the big lens with me. I'm in weds and thurs this week.

Dan

AdrianP

Link Posted 13/03/2007 - 08:28
Jonathan

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I am putting the aperture ring on the lens into the AE position after first depressing the locking button. I had another try last night but without luck. The AE position really is a very good fit and, once locked, the aperture ring has just about zero play to it. Also, no matter how I've wiggled the lens in the mount or the mounted lens in the camera, I'm not getting even a sniff of aperture information coming up.

Dan

That's a very kind offer. I'll send you a PM.

Many thanks.

Adrian

smc

Link Posted 14/03/2007 - 10:39
Adrian

It may just be a faulty mount. I believe there is some wiring in the mount which may have come loose.

AdrianP

Link Posted 14/03/2007 - 18:36
Dear all

Many thanks for all your replies but I think I've just about sorted it. Let me rephrase that; Dan has just about sorted it! Dan kindly met me at the Essex Wildlife Trust visitor centre at Bedfords Park this afternoon and we tried just about every permutation possible of the two lenses, two mounts and three Pentax bodies we had between us. Basically, my mount appears to be the culprit but it is now functioning properly on my K10D.

Actually, it seemed to get it's act together just before setting off to meet Dan and is now functioning properly about 95% of the time. I've given it a bit of a clean around the inside and now when it misbehaves, and this is exactly as Jonathan said in one of his posts, all it really seems to need is a very slight extra twist on the aperture ring to bring the F stop information back up. I am now a happy camper!

As I said, thanks for all your replies but particularly to Dan for giving up his time to meet up with me and get it working.

Adrian
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.