Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K100D wrist strap solution

Transit
Posted 28/12/2007 - 02:23 Link
Hi Guys,
I had been finding the shoulder strap a bit in the way so started looking for a wrist strap.
Nothing much seemed available so I modified a tidy old Pentax strap. The loose rivet in slot system is flexible and strong. Its not adjustable but dosn't need to be.
cheers
Pete

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
ChrisA
Posted 28/12/2007 - 11:04 Link
Transit wrote:
Nothing much seemed available

Glad you've got a working solution.

I use one of these.

Absolutely brilliant, the best tenner I've spent on camera gear.
xbow
Posted 28/12/2007 - 11:47 Link
I think you've highlighted the only bad point of the K10D - it could really do with having another "strap loop" at the base of the right side of the camera. I've used a simple loop of "Para cord" with a bead to tighten it to my wrist on my Canon G3 which I've been thinking of using on the pentax. Will have to give the problem a bit more thought as I too find the neck strap gets in the way at times.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
Dwight-Morton
Posted 28/12/2007 - 20:39 Link
Great idea, I'll work on once I am home for the weekend.
Gwyn
Posted 28/12/2007 - 21:52 Link
ChrisA wrote:

I use one of these.

The problem with that is that it gets in the way of the QR plate for the tripod, at least it would for my Markins plate.
ChrisA
Posted 28/12/2007 - 23:05 Link
Gwyn wrote:
ChrisA wrote:

I use one of these.

The problem with that is that it gets in the way of the QR plate for the tripod, at least it would for my Markins plate.

It's not a problem for mine - I just screw it into the bottom of the grip, which has a tripod socket on the bottom. It's the same as screwing the QR into the bottom of the camera, albeit not quite as rigid as without it, since the grip attachments has a small amount of play.

But I've used it lots on the tripod, and in practice it's not a problem.
Transit
Posted 30/12/2007 - 01:52 Link
That leather grip looks pretty useful Gwyn !
its a bit Michael Jackson though, do you get strange looks ?
Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
ChrisA
Posted 30/12/2007 - 11:09 Link
Transit wrote:
That leather grip looks pretty useful Gwyn !
its a bit Michael Jackson though, do you get strange looks ?

It's not like that at all - it's just a really comfortable way of holding the camera, and I agree with Xbow - it is a shame there isn't a second attachment that would mean you could have one without having to add to the bulk underneath.

However, as these photos hopefully show, it's really not intrusive, and I only take it off the camera these days to change the battery. I keep meaning to cut the redundant four inches or so off the dangly end of the strap, but I haven't got round to it. And you can let go completely and let it just hang when your hand gets a bit tired - it's still completely secure and comfortable.

I should get a commission...

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
vic cross
Posted 30/12/2007 - 14:17 Link
Although it wasn't a battery grip the grip for the Z1 & Z1P which made it much better for people like me (with baby steam shovels for hands) to hold has a fantastic hand strap with a metal strip set into the bottom for the strap. I've missed it on my *istD and on my K10D. The one from Hong Kong looks good. Is there no agent/dealer in the UK for these :
CHEERS Vic
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
vic cross
Posted 30/12/2007 - 15:47 Link
I've just been looking around the net and found a site which I think is american? called gadgetinfinity.com Then go to wrist straps. they have three on there at what look like reasonable prices. (plus import and taxes of course). There is a one on Amazon but the UK price is the same in GBP as the american one in USD. There is the OP-TECH one from a few shops in the UK. CHEERS Vic
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Flasharry
Posted 30/12/2007 - 22:35 Link
This is what I use. I've had it donkey's years and would like to buy another one but I can't find anybody that produces them now. Just screws into the tripod hole. Anybody seen anything like it?

Comment Image
Steve.
Ammonyte
Posted 01/01/2008 - 15:00 Link
I've seen Liam using a grip similar to ChrisA's, which he used a Manfrotto QR plate to connect it [the strap] to the base of the camera. Does that make sense? It does when you see it.
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.