K10 PEF's or DNG's
This topic has a poll - login to enter
Posted 16/06/2009 - 05:17
Link
Hi Stefan,
Oh I may have misled you - I always shoot PEF in the camera (not DNG)... Then convert to DNG with Adobe DNG converter during the download process. Idimager does that automatically. Also, I have Adobe DNG converter replace the jpg preview image in the raw file with a full size preview as well. And surprisingly, the resulting DNG is smaller than the PEF in spite of the larger imbedded preview. I guess the Adobe RAW lossless compression is more compact????
Dick.
Oh I may have misled you - I always shoot PEF in the camera (not DNG)... Then convert to DNG with Adobe DNG converter during the download process. Idimager does that automatically. Also, I have Adobe DNG converter replace the jpg preview image in the raw file with a full size preview as well. And surprisingly, the resulting DNG is smaller than the PEF in spite of the larger imbedded preview. I guess the Adobe RAW lossless compression is more compact????
Dick.
Posted 16/06/2009 - 07:39
Link
Hi Dick,
Sorry that I thought that the topic was camera specific so thought it only went what the camera did. I only have DNG files on the pc now, i use lightroom it uploads and converts to DNG since I've also photoshop lightroom directly link the DNG to PS and PS have no limitation handelling those RAW files.
I think that for the speed the camera doesn't compress them as much, pc has also a lot more power to compress those files.
I do wonder why DNG is so much larger then PEF that the camera makes.
With the K10D i do notice that it process DNG faster, i can shoot 2 or 3 frames more before the buffer fills but I would rather have them smaller, I've never filled the buffer with actual shooting.
Sorry that I thought that the topic was camera specific so thought it only went what the camera did. I only have DNG files on the pc now, i use lightroom it uploads and converts to DNG since I've also photoshop lightroom directly link the DNG to PS and PS have no limitation handelling those RAW files.
I think that for the speed the camera doesn't compress them as much, pc has also a lot more power to compress those files.
I do wonder why DNG is so much larger then PEF that the camera makes.
With the K10D i do notice that it process DNG faster, i can shoot 2 or 3 frames more before the buffer fills but I would rather have them smaller, I've never filled the buffer with actual shooting.
Posted 16/06/2009 - 09:10
Link
woodworm wrote:
Is there any current RAW software that doesn't support .pef anyway? I know .dng is an adobe format, but Lightroom / Photoshop happily open .pef files, as does everything else I've used.
The only compatibility issue I've had is with the DNG files from the GX20 and Picasa ....
I would use .pef on the GX20 if it was an option.
I don't think Paint Shop Pro Photo supports PEF in the standard version.
Is there any current RAW software that doesn't support .pef anyway? I know .dng is an adobe format, but Lightroom / Photoshop happily open .pef files, as does everything else I've used.
The only compatibility issue I've had is with the DNG files from the GX20 and Picasa ....
I would use .pef on the GX20 if it was an option.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



10412 posts
18 years
Dordrecht,
the Netherlands
Exif support, Image title, Person who created the image & Copyright holder so you're only missing keywords from your list. Only useful I believe when editing, don't think I'll ever input keywords while shooting.
Here you go page 22 link
My biggest problem with DNG is the compressing by the camera, it isn't that good. You can hold 50% more photos if you use PEF instead of DNG. Both of files are the same and camera gives the same information to both so the extra data space isn't used at that stage (I believe).
I convert my photos straight to DNG when uploading them with the pc, only 2 reasons behind that, smaller file and better support by Adobe software.
K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ