K01 with K Mount Lens - Advice please

TheVicar
Posted 14/09/2012 - 21:11 Link
I'm tempted by current K01 prices, and want to check out a couple of things before taking the plunge

No. 1

I currently use a Samsung GX10, sometimes with old 50mm f1.7, and 28mm f2.8 manual focus lenses, with no 'A' position on the aperture ring. I set exposure by setting required aperture on the ring, pushing On Off button past On to DoF preview, and adjusting speed with thumb wheel to correct exposure. This seems to work well.
I have read somewhere the mount on the K01 is not coupled to the aperture ring. Would I still be able to use this technique, or some other method with the green button, to take photos at less than maximum aperture e.g. f8, with these lenses on the K01, accepting a bit of trial and error to get exposure right?

Anyone any experience of doing this?

Thanks

Peter
ist*DL2, 18-55Mk1, DFA 100 f2.8 Macro, Samsung GX-10, 10-17,18-55,50-200, Sigma 10-20,100-300, 150-500 Tamron 18-200, Jessops 360AFDP
ME Super, MX, 2No. 50mm f1.7, MZ-10, 28-70 f4, 28mm f2.8, Samyang 500 & 800 f8 mirrors, Vivitar 2x TC, K-01, K-30
TonyM
Posted 14/09/2012 - 21:42 Link
Peter

I have just purchased a K-01 because my GX10 is too bulky. It has a green button that you can use to set the correct speed for any given combination of aperture/ISO like other models (unlike others it can also be customised for something else if you're not using manual lenses). You can also customise the red button for DOF preview. What it also has is focus peaking, which is simply sensational! For the first time I can use my 50mm 1.4 and nail the focus EVERY TIME, even wide open!!

At £300 it really is a no brainer, given the spec. I also think it looks good (mine's silver) and handles just fine. BUT, the lack of a viewfinder does have it's downside, especially in bright light, and auto-focus is laboured. Overall though, I'm very pleased with it - if Pentax had launched at this price they might have had a winner!

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Tony
TheVicar
Posted 14/09/2012 - 22:28 Link
Thanks Tony
That definitely helps, makes it even more tempting, and as you say £300 is a no brainer.

My second question is going to be about the video capabilities. Will post separately

Peter
ist*DL2, 18-55Mk1, DFA 100 f2.8 Macro, Samsung GX-10, 10-17,18-55,50-200, Sigma 10-20,100-300, 150-500 Tamron 18-200, Jessops 360AFDP
ME Super, MX, 2No. 50mm f1.7, MZ-10, 28-70 f4, 28mm f2.8, Samyang 500 & 800 f8 mirrors, Vivitar 2x TC, K-01, K-30

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo