K-r @ Macro
Posted 09/11/2012 - 09:09
Link
There is another much simpler option that has not yet been mentioned in depth and should be considered.
That is buying a macro conversion lens such as the excellent Raynox DCR 250 Macro scan conversion lens.
These just clip on to the front of your existing lens (filter thread needs to be between 52mm and 67mm).
These give very sharp true macro results and your lenses can be used as 'normal' in that if you are using an automatic or AF lens - it will still be automatic or AF. Having said that - I always focus macro shots manually.
These can be bought new for around £60 from many on-line retailers including Amazon and this is undoubtedly the cheapest way of deciding whether you like macro photography on a budget without investing in a dedicated macro lens or working totally manually
The link below will take you to some images that have been produced using a Raynox converter:
link
At the end of the day, it is about personal choice - some like tubes and bellows, some like reversing rings, others will only use dedicated macro lenses.Personally I have 2 dedicated macro lenses - but when I want to use any other lens for macro - I use my Raynox.
Regards
Carl
That is buying a macro conversion lens such as the excellent Raynox DCR 250 Macro scan conversion lens.
These just clip on to the front of your existing lens (filter thread needs to be between 52mm and 67mm).
These give very sharp true macro results and your lenses can be used as 'normal' in that if you are using an automatic or AF lens - it will still be automatic or AF. Having said that - I always focus macro shots manually.
These can be bought new for around £60 from many on-line retailers including Amazon and this is undoubtedly the cheapest way of deciding whether you like macro photography on a budget without investing in a dedicated macro lens or working totally manually
The link below will take you to some images that have been produced using a Raynox converter:
link
At the end of the day, it is about personal choice - some like tubes and bellows, some like reversing rings, others will only use dedicated macro lenses.Personally I have 2 dedicated macro lenses - but when I want to use any other lens for macro - I use my Raynox.
Regards
Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Posted 09/11/2012 - 09:18
Link
Actually the DCR-250 is just £38.52 at Amazon at the moment so might well be worth considering.
Posted 09/11/2012 - 10:42
Link
Email sent
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


7650 posts
21 years
Totana,
Spain.
Many third party lens makers tag their lenses as Macro. This can be a bit erroneous because the true definition of macro-photography is the taking of images at 1:1 or higher magnification. These lenses, typically zoom lenses like yours, would be more accurately named as "Close focusing" rather than "Macro" because they cannot achieve 1:1 magnification, normally they are around 1:2 (half life size) or similar. That said, I had a Sigma lens similar to yours, perhaps an older model, and I was able to make some pretty good images of insects, flowers and so on. At least it'll get you started in macro-photography to determine whether you like this branch of our hobby.
True macro lenses are primes offering 1:1 magnification at their closest focusing distance. These range from fixed focal lengths of around 35mm to 200mm. The longer the focal length, the greater the minimum focusing distance, which is handy if you come across stinging or biting creatures and would prefer to maintain a safer distance from them..