Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K/M Series Body Construction

mdc
Posted 29/03/2012 - 03:51 Link
Anyone know what the K2-K1000 and MX-MG bodies were made of, metal-wise?

I'm assuming they're die-cast aluminium, but if they were, surely they wouldn't suffer from brassing?
K10D
Posted 29/03/2012 - 06:04 Link
Have a read through this. link

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
mdc
Posted 29/03/2012 - 06:10 Link
Unfortunately that's for the LX, and specifically says that the alloy used is unique to the LX; whether that means that the older bodies are steel, brass, or just a different aluminum alloy isn't clear
gartmore
Posted 29/03/2012 - 10:19 Link
mdc wrote:
Anyone know what the K2-K1000 and MX-MG bodies were made of, metal-wise?

I'm assuming they're die-cast aluminium, but if they were, surely they wouldn't suffer from brassing?

I think you may be confusing the body with the top and bottom covers. The body is like a chassis and is internal, the top and bottom covers are brass with a satin chrome finish
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
mdc
Posted 30/03/2012 - 03:42 Link
I'm referring to the chassis itself, specifically what material it is under the leatherette. I know it's been given a lick of black paint, but when I strip that off, am I likely to find aluminium, steel or brass?

EDIT: On certain bodies I've seen brassing through the black-painted rear door, which is yet ANOTHER component made of an unknown material.
Edited by mdc: 30/03/2012 - 03:44

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.