K-7 has image distortion and CA correction

golfdiesel

Link Posted 22/05/2009 - 14:22
The sensor could allready cope with prolonged exposure in the K20D which has liveview and in the highest continuous shooting mode it leaves the mirror up and the shutter wide open as well.
I am pretty sure that the still quality hasn't suffered from adding video. I might very well be that because all of the extra processing power allso increased the overall image quality.
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T

Robin128

Link Posted 22/05/2009 - 18:10
I don't have to see it to ask these questions, John.

Adding video to the top of the market may be a mistake...the BEST Pentax stills camera. Maybe it will catch on...its up to the people with cash in their pocket who believe they will not be compromised in buying the best Pentax stills camera, because of the added and perhaps not wanted, video.

In addition, they may perceive they are being forced to pay for something they don't really want....or at least at the buying stage they believe they don't need it.

Furthermore, I think the buying decision will depend on the existence and quality of their current camcorder. Peoples' buying decisions may be different as a function of whether they already have a high quality camcorder or not, and whether indeed they are bothered about video capture...and then depending on the reviews of the K7 when it's in the hands of the experts and then the market. At the top end of the stills market, it will be compared to 3ccd and HD videos...that may be harsh I know.

It's a risky marketing decision...time will tell.

It's just the way I think, I can live with others thinking differently. Let's see the growth rate of the early adopters...but I wouldn't class myself as a laggard....in marketing terms.

The market will decide.

Rob
K20D
MZ 50
Pentax lenses....DA* 55mm f1.4 SDM ....F 35-80 f4-5.6....DA 18-250 f3.5-6.3....F 100-300 f4.5-5.6, D FA Macro 100 WR f2.8.

Centon mirror lens 500mm.

Pentax Flash ....AF 360FGZ

JVC 3ccd GZ MC 500EK camcorder

Don

Link Posted 22/05/2009 - 18:18
Robin128 wrote:
I don't have to see it to ask these questions, John.

Adding video to the top of the market may be a mistake...the BEST Pentax stills camera. Maybe it will catch on...its up to the people with cash in their pocket who believe they will not be compromised in buying the best Pentax stills camera, because of the added and perhaps not wanted, video.

In addition, they may perceive they are being forced to pay for something they don't really want....or at least at the buying stage they believe they don't need it.

Furthermore, I think the buying decision will depend on the existence and quality of their current camcorder. Peoples' buying decisions may be different as a function of whether they already have a high quality camcorder or not, and whether indeed they are bothered about video capture...and then depending on the reviews of the K7 when it's in the hands of the experts and then the market. At the top end of the stills market, it will be compared to 3ccd and HD videos...that may be harsh I know.

It's a risky marketing decision...time will tell.

It's just the way I think, I can live with others thinking differently. Let's see the growth rate of the early adopters...but I wouldn't class myself as a laggard....in marketing terms.

The market will decide.

Rob

Right now I can tell you the improvements from the k10 to the k20 weren't enough to get me to buy...
but the improvements between the k20 and the k7 ARE....

I have three Pentax dslrs and two top of the line Sony video cameras (prosumer lines that is).

And yet I find myself eager to get my hands on a K7... for reasons I've already explained in other threads....

so... I can't imagine anybody refusing to but the k7 because it has video... in the long run
but I can see somebody grabbing a clearence k20 instead of the k7, if they don't want video in the short run...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Greytop

Link Posted 22/05/2009 - 18:55
I agree with Don,
I have a Sony HD camcorder (HDR-SR11) which produces pretty impressive full HD footage but that will in no way influence my interest in the K-7.

The way I look at it, the K-7 will be a fantastic D-SLR with the added bonus of being able to capture HD perhaps when you don't have your camcorder handy.
I think it's a very solid feature that would have been a mistake for Pentax to leave out as quite obviously the capability is there.

Of course IMHO
Regards Huw

flickr

Don

Link Posted 22/05/2009 - 19:04
I see it this way...
I can tripod two video cams....for multi angle cuts..
then without having to switch cameras... grab stills, and shallow dof, rack focus, and fisheye clips from my dslr to add in at the editing phase...

that is like having four cameramen working one scene...
Last Edited by Don on 22/05/2009 - 19:18

Robin128

Link Posted 22/05/2009 - 20:42
Arguments for and against.

It is certainly developing an interest, which of course is key in promoting a new product.

I guess its the pro stills shooter that doesn't want to pay more for something s/he does not really need, but does require the best in the range....ie stills fuctionality...who will influence the market and buy accordingly.

I wonder what the competition are doing in R&D and will do in the future...the lack of video on a top whack Nikon may put the K7 in an uncomfortable niche...on price ie K7 pushed into a top end Nikon price bracket????

The K7 will have to deliver on both fronts. The video will have to be 3 CCD HDV.

Yes, it may well make the K20D more attractive and therefore halt its falling price.

Just MHO.

Pentax has got guts.

Rob
K20D
MZ 50
Pentax lenses....DA* 55mm f1.4 SDM ....F 35-80 f4-5.6....DA 18-250 f3.5-6.3....F 100-300 f4.5-5.6, D FA Macro 100 WR f2.8.

Centon mirror lens 500mm.

Pentax Flash ....AF 360FGZ

JVC 3ccd GZ MC 500EK camcorder
Last Edited by Robin128 on 22/05/2009 - 20:45

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 22/05/2009 - 20:57
Robin, do you not think that Canon are currently working on a 60D with video capabilities? And Tooks has already mentioned that the Nikon D400 is (apparently) going to 'do' video. Pentax have got there first, good for them. And they've done it with autofocus too, which the others, so far, haven't.

There's been a lot of talk about pricing, and I've just had a look to see what the release SRP of the Canon 50D was: 1200/$1399 body only. The K-7 is a whole lot more camera, in my opinion, for less money.

I'm going to love using the video, every now and again, when I get one. The K-7 will be a huge step up from my K10D.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

Greytop

Link Posted 22/05/2009 - 21:55
Robin128 wrote:
The video will have to be 3 CCD HDV.

Why does it have to be 3 CCD HDV? I'm intrigued.....

My HDR-SR11 isn't?
Regards Huw

flickr

Don

Link Posted 22/05/2009 - 22:05
Greytop wrote:
Robin128 wrote:
The video will have to be 3 CCD HDV.

Why does it have to be 3 CCD HDV? I'm intrigued.....

My HDR-SR11 isn't?

The OP has fallen into the "more megapixels = better image quality" myth of the video realm...
my hdr-hc1 and sr 12 are both cmos sensors (not ccd) and can absolutely blow all standard def 3 ccd pro models out of the water, and easily hold thier own against pro high def models.
in fact the sony hdr a1u IS the same camera with a built in mic...and more audio options and very little else compared to the hc1...

once I add my camera bracket and rode video mic, you can hardly tell them apart...

Greytop

Link Posted 22/05/2009 - 22:27
Ah you have an SR12 Don, basically a bigger hard drive version of my SR11.

Lovely cams, must admit I was totally bowled over with the image quality when I got it last summer and still am
Regards Huw

flickr

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 22/05/2009 - 22:34
I have to admit I like the look of the K-7.

Pentax have sorted the niggles of my K20D, whereby bringing to the market a camera which will rival the D300, and better the EOS50D.
Although it does'nt have the 51 point AF of the D300 (what has?) it certainly has plenty of features to knock the spots off the opposition.

Now for the bit which has divided opinion, the movie mode......

Initially I was very sceptic about video in a DSLR, as their prime function is for still photography. And yet......
Recently I was tasked with doing some videos for our company executive roadshow, now I could have used my Canon DV8 camcorder, but to transfer the data, it needs firewire. Now although my desktop has firewire, my laptop does not, yet I needed the laptop for portability and instant transfer whilst I was in our head office in London. Also, the Laptop had my video editing software on it (pinnacle in case you were wondering), so my only option was to use my Fujifilm S6500fd as the video camera instead, with transfer by USB. Now, although the results went down very well with the powers that be, the limitations of the fuji came to light, such as excessive focus hunting at the start of each filming (I got around that) and reduced IQ, not least with the lack of ability to set the DOF.
Therefore, If I had a K-7 with the very fine pentax optics to produce good video, then for future videos (I am sure that I will end up doing more..... ) then it can only be a good addition, albeit a not often used addition.

So to sum up, initially a sceptic, but with hindsight a probable bonus.
Some Cameras
Last Edited by Offertonhatter on 22/05/2009 - 22:37

Don

Link Posted 22/05/2009 - 22:42
Greytop wrote:
Ah you have an SR12 Don, basically a bigger hard drive version of my SR11.

Lovely cams, must admit I was totally bowled over with the image quality when I got it last summer and still am

Not basically.....the EXACT SAME CAMERA with a bigger hard drive....
14 hrs of video with the 14 hr battery means that is one camera I can set it and forget it.... Covers the whole event for sure!
Pros may benifit from the more advanced timecodes, audio options and for high speed subjects faster shutter rates and 24 fps, but the sr series cams are pro quality in every other aspect....
and I do my psuedo 24 fps in final cut, and have yet to have anybody spot the difference, on a large screen flat panel display.

Greytop

Link Posted 22/05/2009 - 23:05
Don wrote:

Not basically.....the EXACT SAME CAMERA with a bigger hard drive....

Yes kinda what I meant to say
Regards Huw

flickr

Anvh

Link Posted 23/05/2009 - 01:05
I wonder how far you can compare a DSLR video function against a consumer camcorder.
I believe they are both different and must be seen that way and not as replacement of each other.

Consumers camcorders are clearly designed to capture moments with your loved ones but when you think about the artistic functions you won't come so far. The lack of lens controll, limits that a lot.
With a DLSR video function you've full controll over your lens so that fill that gap on your holidays. You probable make only max 2 minutes shot but like a documantairy film with creative focus and angles to capture the feeling of a place that you can't capture with a photo.

That's my view on this matter and I would love to use it the way I explained.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Greytop

Link Posted 23/05/2009 - 08:38
Couldn't agree more Stefan
Regards Huw

flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.