K-7 battery advice
Posted 25/01/2010 - 15:57
Link
put them both on charge until the green LED goes off. THey will be fully charged and work for long hours allowing you to shoot all day (or almost) without depleting.
Posted 25/01/2010 - 16:01
Link
thanks nathan.
am i not risking reducing the capacity of the battery by charging before it's empty?
or can i effectively 'reset' the capacity by draining the battery fully next time?
am i not risking reducing the capacity of the battery by charging before it's empty?
or can i effectively 'reset' the capacity by draining the battery fully next time?
Posted 25/01/2010 - 16:04 - Helpful Comment
Link
The K7 Lithium Ion Battery does not have a "memory" therefore recharging from half charge is not a problem. I expect you are thinking of older generation batteries that had to be completely discharged at each re-charge. So if I were you - and I have done this with my K7 battery, I would stick it on charge tonight and it will be ready to go in the morning. You will find the K7 battery does take a little longer to charge than say K10 or K20 versions!
Hope this helps...
Hope this helps...
Regards
David
Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:
David
Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:
Posted 25/01/2010 - 16:09
Link
thanks david that's extremely helpful. believe it or not this is my first ever camera with a lithium battery like this (only used AAs before).
roughly how long does a full charge take?
roughly how long does a full charge take?
Posted 25/01/2010 - 16:19
Link
I usually plug it into the charger and leave it over night or all day - the light goes out when it's done, and there is no danger of "cooking" the battery!
Regards
David
Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:
David
Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:
Posted 25/01/2010 - 16:40
Link
It takes up to a few hours to charge the battery, depending on the state.
Although there's no memory effect, it's still a good idea not to charge unnecessarily as every charge shortens the life of the battery, whether it be from empty or half full.
Store your spare batteries in a cool place when possible as well.
Although there's no memory effect, it's still a good idea not to charge unnecessarily as every charge shortens the life of the battery, whether it be from empty or half full.
Store your spare batteries in a cool place when possible as well.
~Pete
Posted 25/01/2010 - 18:06
Link
dml82 wrote:
thanks david that's extremely helpful. believe it or not this is my first ever camera with a lithium battery like this (only used AAs before).
roughly how long does a full charge take?
Charge time is quoted in the manual...
thanks david that's extremely helpful. believe it or not this is my first ever camera with a lithium battery like this (only used AAs before).
roughly how long does a full charge take?
Good luck
Bob
Pentax user since 1978, Digital since 1997.
Kit includes: K-7, K20D, K10D, *istDS, full set DA* lens, etc
Bob
Pentax user since 1978, Digital since 1997.
Kit includes: K-7, K20D, K10D, *istDS, full set DA* lens, etc
Posted 26/01/2010 - 17:05
Link
iceblinker wrote:
Although there's no memory effect, it's still a good idea not to charge unnecessarily as every charge shortens the life of the battery, whether it be from empty or half full.
Only partly true - with lithium ion batteries it is the total amount of charging done, not the number of times you charge the battery, that counts, thus if you charge from half discharged it only reduces the life by half as much as if you charge it from fully discharged (if you see what I mean) so you can regularly 'top up' your battery without detriment to its overall life. Also Lithium bateries hold their charge very well (unlike NiMH) so a fully charged battery stays that way (or pretty much)Although there's no memory effect, it's still a good idea not to charge unnecessarily as every charge shortens the life of the battery, whether it be from empty or half full.
Finally, if you are going to store a lithium ion battery for any length of time, they are best left about half charged (probably why they usually come that way when you buy them). They should not be stored 'empty'
Tony Milner
Super A, ME Super, MZ6, K5II, Ricoh GR & lenses from 8-500mm
www.amilner.org
www.flickr.com/photos/tonymilner
Super A, ME Super, MZ6, K5II, Ricoh GR & lenses from 8-500mm
www.amilner.org
www.flickr.com/photos/tonymilner
Posted 26/01/2010 - 18:44
Link
amilner wrote:
Only partly true - with lithium ion batteries it is the total amount of charging done, not the number of times you charge the battery, that counts, thus if you charge from half discharged it only reduces the life by half as much as if you charge it from fully discharged (if you see what I mean) so you can regularly 'top up' your battery without detriment to its overall life.
I doubt it works like that in practice because I have noticed that with a 75%-full battery, for example, the charger takes more than 25% of the time than it takes to charge an empty battery. In other words, it takes disproportionately longer to charge a partly charged battery, for some practical reason.Only partly true - with lithium ion batteries it is the total amount of charging done, not the number of times you charge the battery, that counts, thus if you charge from half discharged it only reduces the life by half as much as if you charge it from fully discharged (if you see what I mean) so you can regularly 'top up' your battery without detriment to its overall life.
I suspect that the charger overcooks the battery somewhat at the end of the charge, therefore you want to minimise the number of over-cooks by fully charging rather than topping up, when you can.
I have noticed with the Li-ion batteries I've used in various devices, it's the ones that I top-up rarely that last the longest.
~Pete
Posted 02/03/2010 - 12:37
Link
Useful information. I have been scouring the web for a spare K7 battery and there are some that are not Pentax makes but are, I suppose, compatibles.
The prices of some of them seem extremely cheap compared with the Pentax battery - well under £20 - does anyone have any experience of these cheap compatibles?
Are they worth buying or will they discharge quickly or possibly not be good in cold weather?
Cheers
John
The prices of some of them seem extremely cheap compared with the Pentax battery - well under £20 - does anyone have any experience of these cheap compatibles?
Are they worth buying or will they discharge quickly or possibly not be good in cold weather?
Cheers
John
On a dark desert highway, cool Pentax K5 in my hand.
My Kit
K5 & 18-55 Kit lens, K7, Pentax 18-250mm lens, Sigma 10-20mm lens, Sigma 105mm Macro lens, Pentax 50mm 1.7 lens, Cokin P Series Filters
My Kit
K5 & 18-55 Kit lens, K7, Pentax 18-250mm lens, Sigma 10-20mm lens, Sigma 105mm Macro lens, Pentax 50mm 1.7 lens, Cokin P Series Filters
Posted 02/03/2010 - 13:03
Link
Kenty wrote:
Useful information. I have been scouring the web for a spare K7 battery and there are some that are not Pentax makes but are, I suppose, compatibles.
The prices of some of them seem extremely cheap compared with the Pentax battery - well under £20 - does anyone have any experience of these cheap compatibles?
Are they worth buying or will they discharge quickly or possibly not be good in cold weather?
Cheers
John
I swap between the Pentax and 3rd party battery continuously and I've never noticed any difference... works fine, fraction of the cost, no brainer
Useful information. I have been scouring the web for a spare K7 battery and there are some that are not Pentax makes but are, I suppose, compatibles.
The prices of some of them seem extremely cheap compared with the Pentax battery - well under £20 - does anyone have any experience of these cheap compatibles?
Are they worth buying or will they discharge quickly or possibly not be good in cold weather?
Cheers
John
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Posted 02/03/2010 - 21:04
Link
I have just got an Inov8 from SRS for my K20. I haven't had it long enough to say that it is good or bad, but I reckoned that wouldn't sell a duffer.
Posted 03/03/2010 - 08:59
Link
I have an Inov8 battery in my K20D. As I have found with quite a few Li_ion batteries it does take a three or four discharge/charge cycles to give maximum usage and accurate reporting of the state.
.
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


45 posts
17 years
I've not had my k-7 long enough yet to drain the battery and I need a full charge tomorrow.
I also have a spare battery made by INOV8, which I just tested and the camera claims it's fully charged. Any experience with this third party battery? Can I rely on it for a half day solid shooting, and should it be pre charged?
My Pentax battery says it's half empty. I don't want to put it to charge now without it being drained first.
Any advice anyone please?