k-50 or k-s1

wozfromcov

Link Posted 20/08/2015 - 20:31
so after losing interest after my k-30 and most of my kit got stolen a couple of years ago a recent trip to hatton locks has given me the bug again. Now i've decided on a k-s2 with the 18-50mm wr lens.
so thats me sorted.

now my other half has never owned a dlsr but wants to get into the hobby also its a nice way of spending some quality time together.

so my question is as a first time dslr would the k-50 or k-s1 be a better option
looking at both with the 18-135mm wr lens as this would give her a good walk around lens so she could concentrate on the photography (and i could nick it once in a while)

stu62

Link Posted 20/08/2015 - 20:38
every one will tell you the k-s1
but i would say the best thing to do is go to the shop that as both in stock and let your other half play with them both because they are both different bodys so they will feel difrent to handle
and if it dont feel right that could put her off and you dont want that if you want to pinch the lens

Helpful

wozfromcov

Link Posted 20/08/2015 - 20:46
the reason i'm thinking the k-50 as it is from what i've read a very capable camera.
the k-s1 has had negatives from its design an move away from traditional dslr design.
but as my other half has never owned one it might not make a difference.

richandfleur

Link Posted 20/08/2015 - 21:54
Ideally you should buy two of the same...

As for the two in your post though:
They each have strengths and weaknessss. Which one to buy depends on what your requirements are.

Biggest point of difference is probably the weather sealing.

Helpful

wozfromcov

Link Posted 20/08/2015 - 23:02
yes its disadvantage of the k-s1
two k-s2's is a possiblity.

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 20/08/2015 - 23:12
Two K-S2s are a lot more expensive and she might not take to it or use all the features on that. For the same money as a second K-S2 you could get the K-50 + 18-135WR..both suitable for outdoor walking and it doesn't matter if you get them wet.

I've just got the K-50 having had the K-x and it is an excellent camera...even a complete novice couldn't fail to take well exposed , focused shots...this will encourage further use in my view. Value for money as well...its unbeatable.

That's my take on it anyway!

Helpful

wozfromcov

Link Posted 20/08/2015 - 23:24
that was my original thinking with regards to the k-50 you can get a good deal with the 18-135mm

richandfleur

Link Posted 21/08/2015 - 00:54
They really are very similar

When the K-S1 came out I didn't see a lot of difference between the two. You get a higher res sensor and no AA filter, which is pretty cool. The body looks different and has a weird control layout that didn't sell. Price wise it should be on clearance now so it's quite a bargain really.

The K-50 is a more traditional Pentax WR body. I have a K-30 so I can confirm it's excellent really, and suitable from beginners and up.

Either would be fine, and you can share lenses etc. We used to have two Pentax bodies but dropped to one when the kids were young. I'm considering this purchase decision myself at the moment

Helpful

wozfromcov

Link Posted 21/08/2015 - 00:59
i had a white k-30 and i loved it.
until it got stolen.

richandfleur

Link Posted 21/08/2015 - 01:06
wozfromcov wrote:
i had a white k-30 and i loved it.

K-50 is essentially the same camera.
That makes it pretty old tech these days.

Pros and cons either way. Agree with others you should get an example camera of each design into the end users hands. That's potentially the biggest difference between the two in practical terms. If your fingers don't fit the grip then it doesn't really matter about anything else.

Helpful

wozfromcov

Link Posted 21/08/2015 - 01:13
the city in which i live coventry uk believe it or not doesnt have a camera shop.
gonna have to do a bit of travelling.

jeallen01

Link Posted 21/08/2015 - 12:19
wozfromcov wrote:
the city in which i live coventry uk believe it or not doesnt have a camera shop.
gonna have to do a bit of travelling.

The Currys' and Jessops branches sometimes carry Pentax DSLRs (our local Currys did, but now does not) - have you checked these as there are quite a few around your area?
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 with the Hacked K-50 f/w to being a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 21/08/2015 - 12:21

Helpful

johnriley

Link Posted 21/08/2015 - 12:27
The K-S1 is currently on offer at Selfridge's at 299 including a bag. The three alternatives are the "sweets" colour range. Still love that Lime Pie!
Best regards, John

Helpful

McGregNi

Link Posted 21/08/2015 - 15:51
I handled and used a K-S1 in a John Lewis shop a while back ... Out of curiosity, it's not really the model type I would consider .... But I found it rather impressive, in build and it's interface and feel in use. More ideal for smaller hands of course, but real quality. The menu system and interface is a clear big jump up from my K7, and anyone must accept that for the money it has an extraordinary sensor and image quality.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Helpful

richandfleur

Link Posted 21/08/2015 - 21:31
McGregNi wrote:
anyone must accept that for the money it has an extraordinary sensor and image quality.

Agree.
Not long ago AA filterless sensors were the thing of flagship 's' models, so to see it at these prices are impressive.

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.