Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K-5 wanted

Posted 31/12/2020 - 15:14 Link
Hi all - first time here ... My K-01 has just died, and I'm looking for a cheap(ish) replacement. Lowish shutter count ideally, but open to persuasion.
K10D
Posted 31/12/2020 - 15:23 Link
Welcome to the forum.
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
Posted 31/12/2020 - 15:42 Link
Thanks - I've been a lurker for many years, and always awe-struck by the knowledge and wisdom on display!
LennyBloke
Posted 31/12/2020 - 17:28 - Helpful Comment Link
I believe MPB.com have a K5 at present - don't know the shutter count but they offer a 6 month warranty and some of there stuff seems fairly priced

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-slr-c...
LennyBloke
Edited by LennyBloke: 31/12/2020 - 17:29
Posted 31/12/2020 - 19:12 Link
Thanks very much, Lenny - that looks ideal!
I'm presuming that it's not a stupid camera to buy? I've had a k100D and K200D, both of which I liked - indeed liked them a lot more than the k-01, which was a disappointment even before it conked out.
But anyway, as I say, this looks perfect.
Cheers.
MrB
Posted 31/12/2020 - 19:13 Link
davidwozhere
Posted 01/01/2021 - 01:20 Link
"I'm presuming that it's not a stupid camera to buy?"

Absolutely not. The K5 is a modern classic and produces excellent results. It's a really reliable workhorse.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Chrism8
Posted 01/01/2021 - 08:54 Link
Its a great camera, we're still using one that must be around 7 years plus, the low light capability of the K5ii is superb
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
LennyBloke
Posted 01/01/2021 - 10:35 Link
The design of the K5 was superb (IMO), but if you can find a K5iis you will get a few significant advantages - most of all the lack of the AA filter leading to naturally sharper images.

I still have a K5iis that doesn't get a lot of use due to owning the K1 MkII, but I took it on a trip about 18 months ago and the results hold up against the K1 (crop equivalent) - it may be getting a little long in the tooth but it is a superb camera
LennyBloke
takuman
Posted 01/01/2021 - 11:07 Link
Agree with comments regarding K5. Bought mine when they first appeared. Now on semi-permanent loan to one of our sons and still performing well.
Just passing thru
K10D
Posted 01/01/2021 - 12:02 Link
Some with a K5

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

I've never had an issue with the camera. I still use it but do agree about a K5 IIs (it's the pinnacle of my Pentax cropped bodies).

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
roberrl
Posted 01/01/2021 - 13:01 Link
I've had several K-01s with generally good results but never happy without an OVF.
I now have a K5iiS and a KS-2 and while I like many of the conveniences of the KS-2 (flippy screen/WiFi) the K5 is significantly better in most respects.
It feels more substantial in the hand, more robust to use and the results are pretty well equal to my eyes.
My dream would be a K5iiiS with KS-2 features but that's not to be.
But I do think it would be worth your while to go for the later model K5 as others have suggested
Posted 01/01/2021 - 15:34 Link
Thanks again for all the brilliant advice. I was about to press go on the K5 at MpB, but thought I'd have one last go at breathing life into the K-01. As I said, it was totally dead, although the battery was fully charged. I bought a second battery just in case, still no luck. I tried various options with the SD cardslot, as recommended on various forums, here included (I think...). It was then I decided to go for the K-5. I'd put my existing card in my old K100. Took it out and put it into the K-01, and then for no good reason I could see, it decided to fire up. Works fine again./ It may collapse in a heap soon, but until it does, I'll persist. Based on the discussion above, it seems worth waiting/watching for a 5ii. So, sorry to have wasted your time - although already I'm very glad I've signed up!
davidwozhere
Posted 02/01/2021 - 00:51 Link
Not at all a waste of time. If nothing else it gave us an excuse to bump up a great camera.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
ilovesaabs
Posted 03/01/2021 - 13:14 Link
I was looking through my archive and amazed as to how well the images from K10D and K-5 stand up compared to images taken with newer kit, just a shame that when something newer comes along the older cameras are suddenly surplus to requirements
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.