K-5 IR conversion

marklj

Link Posted 09/05/2015 - 10:31
Morning folks - I still have a K-5 here and a DA*16-50 lens and wondered about IR conversion. Tried the usual spots but the K-5 doesn't appear anywhere on the list of possible cameras. I tried looking on here but as you might imagine the phrase "IR" doesn't work too well in a search box. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Mark

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 09/05/2015 - 10:41
Yup... Try ACS in Norfolk... had a K30 IR converted (720nm) with them in November, and very happy with it... they can do pretty much any Pentax Camera, so am sure the K5 will be no problem...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Last Edited by thingsthatihaveseen on 09/05/2015 - 10:44

marklj

Link Posted 09/05/2015 - 10:48
They were the first I contacted about 6 months ago and they said they couldn't do the K-5. Not sure of the reason why.

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 09/05/2015 - 10:54
Hmmm... not sure why either... maybe worth another try? Also maybe have a word with Richard Gadd... he knows loads about IR converting Pentax cameras (used to do it himself I think), and was very helpful when I was looking at it last year...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Helpful

marklj

Link Posted 09/05/2015 - 11:08
Cheers for that - I'll give him a shout. I don't really want to sell the K-5 as I have some fond memories of it and took some of my favourite shots. If I can convert it I can keep it. What Pentax lenses do you use for IR?

Blythman

Link Posted 09/05/2015 - 18:05
Mark, could you update us with any info, please. I've got a K5 that I've been thinking of converting
Alan

PPG
Flickr

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 09/05/2015 - 20:02
Hi Mark

Have been trying various lenses etc out over the last 6 months or so... don't have a copy of the 16-50* so unfortunately can't comment on that... most lenses seem to be ok if not stopped down too far... decent performers so far have been the Pentax 17 70, and Sigma 10 20 which are fine in all but the brightest sunlight... same goes for the 18-55 kit lens... Pentax 12-24 has been a complete non starter... massive hotspot at pretty much all apertures... the Samyang 8mm fisheye has been the best of the wide bunch by some distance... no hotspots that I can tell, though prone to slight flaring... Have recently tried the Pentax 55 300, which seems ok thus far... biggest surprise has been the Fa 50 1.4... just started using it for Infra Red out of interest and it's great... best I've found...

Hope that helps...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

spinno

Link Posted 09/05/2015 - 20:38
Do you use filters or just stick the lens on and go?
David

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 10/05/2015 - 18:25
Unless I'm doing ICM etc. I generally just stick the lens on and go...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.