just noticed this when importing pics from both cameras into Lightroom 4

seems strange to me?!?!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/strumstrum/

Pentax K50

Mannesty

Link Posted 25/04/2013 - 11:26
Could you explain please?

What is it that seems strange to you?

The topic title suggests that your K-30 is setup to save RAW files in DNG format whilst your K5II is set to save them as .PEF (default).

If that's the issue, change one or the other in the menu system.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 25/04/2013 - 11:28

strumstrum

Link Posted 25/04/2013 - 12:08
its not an issue.. both cameras are set to RAW but one is .dng and t'other .pef which for the 2 current cameras I find strange.. not had the k-30 long so will check the menus but as far as I am aware no option to change .dng to .pef
http://www.flickr.com/photos/strumstrum/

Pentax K50

cabstar

Link Posted 25/04/2013 - 12:21
Sure you can choose dng or pef in both bodies
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Gwyn

Link Posted 25/04/2013 - 12:23
The K-30 only supports .dng as a RAW format. The K-5II supports both formats. You can change the format in the K-5II in the menus. PEF is the default RAW mode.

I use .dng with my K-5 II.

michaelblue

Link Posted 25/04/2013 - 12:34
[quote:3496ace15f="Gwyn"] The K-30 only supports .dng as a RAW format.

That's right, no PEF on the K30
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link
Last Edited by michaelblue on 25/04/2013 - 12:34

sussexwolf

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 22:40
Could DNG have the added benefit in that you wouldn't need the specific camera RAW to use programmes such as Lightroom? For example the K5 is not supported in LR3 but DNG is.
K30, K-x, *ist DL. Pentax 60-250 F4, Sigma 18-125 & 70-300

cabstar

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 22:41
Yes dng is standard raw file so will work with nearly all image / raw editors
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

myles

Link Posted 29/04/2013 - 23:41
Er.. My copy of LR3 has no problem with PEF file from my K5!

StephenHampshire

Link Posted 30/04/2013 - 09:23
cabstar wrote:

The DNG files from my K30 and K5 are different, DCU4 will open those from the K5 but not the K30 ones. The third party editors I use (Helicon Filter, RAWTherapee and Sagelight) can open both with no problems. Silkypix Developer Sudio3 will open the K30 files but not the K5 DNGs!!
Quite why Pentax supplies software that is camera specific is beyond me, as you say most other applications can cope with whatever it is that varies between the "standard" DNGs that Pentax models produce.
Everything Changes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/

johnriley

Link Posted 30/04/2013 - 09:41
DNG is supposed to be universal. PEF, like all other RAW formats, will be camera specific.

JPEG can be read by everything, which is the direction I have gone from the start. This has advantages for forwards and backwards compatibility.
Best regards, John

sbrads

Link Posted 30/04/2013 - 19:05
StephenHampshire wrote:
cabstar wrote:

The DNG files from my K30 and K5 are different, DCU4 will open those from the K5 but not the K30 ones. The third party editors I use (Helicon Filter, RAWTherapee and Sagelight) can open both with no problems. Silkypix Developer Sudio3 will open the K30 files but not the K5 DNGs!!
Quite why Pentax supplies software that is camera specific is beyond me, as you say most other applications can cope with whatever it is that varies between the "standard" DNGs that Pentax models produce.

The paid for Silkypix can open both K-30 and K-5 DNGs. It's only the freebie versions that are limited.

aliengrove

Link Posted 30/04/2013 - 21:58
johnriley wrote:
DNG is supposed to be universal. PEF, like all other RAW formats, will be camera specific.

JPEG can be read by everything, which is the direction I have gone from the start. This has advantages for forwards and backwards compatibility.

DNG is universal as you said, John, so forward and backwards compatibility is not an issue.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

StephenHampshire

Link Posted 30/04/2013 - 22:15
sbrads wrote:
StephenHampshire wrote:
Quote:

The paid for Silkypix can open both K-30 and K-5 DNGs. It's only the freebie versions that are limited.

Thanks for that update, I didn't know that. I'm not a fan of the Silkypix software that comes with the K30 but I quite like DCU4, especially the ease of applying the lens corrections. I have tried DXO Optics but wasn't a great fan of that either. I find RAWTherapee pretty good and Sagelight very useful and easy to use too.
Everything Changes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.