K-01 user feedback

Dr. Mhuni

Link Posted 21/03/2012 - 10:57
I'm surprised that there has yet to be any feedback from any early adopters here at PUF. By this time in a Pentax product's life a lively discussion on its merits and demerits would usually be well established here. Is the lack of discussion of the K-01 an indication that the doubters were right?

Given that I would prefer to use my Pentax glass (small Ltd's in particular) fully functional - ie. without having to resort to an adapter - I really want to like the K-01, as a slightly smaller, more discrete (other than the yellow) alternative to the K5 for street shooting in particular. However, I'm far from convinced - so would be very interested to hear owners' impressions - particularly on size and handling, AF speed and LCD useability.
Mhuni

500px

JAK

Link Posted 21/03/2012 - 11:40
Yes, four days in and nothing. It wasn't like that when the K-5 came out.

John K
John K

johnriley

Link Posted 21/03/2012 - 11:49
I think it's a case of us being certain that image quality will be at least as good as the K-5, so there will be little to add to that. All the reviews confirm that as well, so it's clearly not an issue.

Those who want the K-01 will buy it with confidence I suspect, others will stick with the DSLR range.

Personally I am happy with my DSLRs and the Q, which are used in quite different situations. So there's no imperative to buy a K-01. When our backup K20D finally dies I may consider it as the backup camera.
Best regards, John

Dr. Mhuni

Link Posted 21/03/2012 - 11:59
Sure, we know that we can expect a lot from the sensor, however, given that this camera represents a radical departure for Pentax (in all sorts of ways) I am surprised that there has been no new user discussion on PUF as yet.
Mhuni

500px

petrochemist

Link Posted 21/03/2012 - 12:03
I suspect that a lot of it is dowm to the market segment the K-01 is aimed at. The K5 is very much an enthusiasts camera, the K-01 less so & no great advantage to those who have a K5.
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].FlickrWPFPanoramio

Dr. Mhuni

Link Posted 21/03/2012 - 13:02
Yes, Mike, the thought had crossed my mind. Still I would have thought someone would have posted their first impressions of the K-01, if only to address its video capability.
Mhuni

500px

Don

Link Posted 21/03/2012 - 13:09
it hasn't hit the store shelves yet here...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

aliengrove

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 09:23
Has anyone on here actually bought one? If not then that would explain the lack of comments on it.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

johnriley

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 10:36
I think they've only just become available in relatively small quantities.
Best regards, John

Dr. Mhuni

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 11:38
I assumed that some would have been purchased at the SRS Pentax day. It's a disappointing result for Pentax if none were.
Mhuni

500px

George Lazarette

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 11:46
I disagree.

It's aimed at a different market from the K-mount DSLR market, which is what PUF primarily represents. We have very little discussion about Optios or 645Ds on here. It doesn't mean that Pentax aren't selling any.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

johnriley

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 11:46
You'd have to ask Chris at SRS, but we can't assume either that any purchasers were members of this forum. There's just no information at this point.
Best regards, John

Dr. Mhuni

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 12:06
I wasn't inferring Pentax hadn't sold any. I'm just surprised that some PUFer hasn't acquired one and contributed feedback on the Forum. When new products have been showcased at Pentax days at SRS in the past we usually get quite a bit of feedback on new kit here soon after.

You might be right George, that DSLR users wouldn't be the prime (no pun intended) market - but I would have thought that in keeping the K mount they also hoped it would appeal to at least some existing Pentax users who want to make the most of their glass. I'm certainly curious myself - it MIGHT be a great tool for street shooters like me.

Unfortunately, Depressing Review aren't very complimentary: link
Mhuni

500px

George Lazarette

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 12:08
Dr. Mhuni wrote:

Unfortunately, Depressing Review aren't very complimentary: link

That's usually a good sign!

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Last Edited by George Lazarette on 22/03/2012 - 12:08

womble

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 21:17
I played with one at the SRS open day. Unfortunately, clashing with the rugby, the football and St Patrick's day meant there were very few people there when I was there.

As someone who wasn't really interested in a CSC of any make, I was actually pleasantly surprised with the K-01. The screen was excellent and it was very easy to manually focus an A series lens on it (I made them get an old lens out of the window display!), the autofocus was quick, the new pancake lens ludicrously thin, and it was easy to hold. The last was quite a surprise as I suspected the brick like design would be uncomfortable. The controls are easy to use and familiar to Pentax users. It certainly impressed me more in the flesh than it did on paper.

I'm not in the market to buy a new digital camera of any sort/make at the moment, but I would certainly consider a K-01 more seriously having handled one than I did previously.

Not quite an owners review, but possibly better than nothing.

I also played with a Q and it's five lenses (really cute) and a 645D (oh I wish!).

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.