Just picked up my K7 today!

Lance B
Posted 06/07/2009 - 03:28 Link
Just picked up my K7 this morning.

As some may have read in my other thread, I did previously have a play with one at Sydney's PMA, so I am no stranger to the feel and handling of the K7, but the response of the AF and shutter is better than I remember at the show, probably due to the fact I was indoors but also I was more enamoured with the build quality, overall feel, and getting used to the different button layout etc.

The AF is quite a bit faster and very noticeable, although having said that this is on a bright sunny day. I will need to do further testing later after the battery charges up and when it gets darker.

The build quality is beautiful and feels very solid and dense in the hands. As other's have commented, the new control layout will need some getting used to, but the buttons are all nicely laid out and easy to use.

The selector "wheel" of previous Pentax DSLR's has been replaced with for buttons at north, south, east and west, which is much easier to use due to it being bigger than the previous "wheel" set up.

The VF is very nice! Big clear and easy to use.

Haven't been home to process any photos as I do have other issues to contend with at the moment, so the ubiquitous "first photos" post will have to wait.

That's all for now.
Cameras:K-7/K20D/*ist D/K10D
Lenses:DA14 f2.8, A16 f2.8, FA20 f2.8, FA31 f1.8, DA35 f2.8 macro, FA43 f1.9, FA50 f1.4, A50 f1.4, A50 f1.2, FA50 f2.8 macro, DA*55 f1.4, FA77 f1.8, DFA100 f2.8 macro, A100 f2.8, DA*300 f4, FA*300 f4.5, DA10-17 FE, DA12-24 f4, DA*16-50 f2.8, DA17-70 f4, FA*28-70 f2.8, DA*50-135 f2.8, DA*60-250 f4, FA*80-200 f2.8.
Flashes:AF540FGZ, AF360FGZ
Clarky
Posted 06/07/2009 - 03:47 Link
Well done Lance, look forward to seeing some pics.

I should have mine tomorrow from DCW, at thier advertised price.

BTW, were you able to get a spare battery from Kennedy's, It appears there are none to be had in Aust unless you buy 2 cameras and you can't get any grips either, to utilise it with AA's a little odd, and DCW told me they have no idea when these accessories will become available.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
pnjmcc
Posted 06/07/2009 - 05:11 Link
Very cool Lance,

Looking forward to seeing the pictures when you get a chance to post them

Regards
PaulM
All cameras are equal but.....
Some are more equal than others
Lance B
Posted 06/07/2009 - 05:25 Link
[quote:3496ace15f="Clarky"]Well done Lance, look forward to seeing some pics.

I should have mine tomorrow from DCW, at thier advertised price.[/QUOTE]

Great to hear!

Quote:
BTW, were you able to get a spare battery from Kennedy's, It appears there are none to be had in Aust unless you buy 2 cameras and you can't get any grips either, to utilise it with AA's a little odd, and DCW told me they have no idea when these accessories will become available.
I have my spare batteries and battery grip and ML-60 focus screen on order from CRK, but they have no idea when they will arrive.
Cameras:K-7/K20D/*ist D/K10D
Lenses:DA14 f2.8, A16 f2.8, FA20 f2.8, FA31 f1.8, DA35 f2.8 macro, FA43 f1.9, FA50 f1.4, A50 f1.4, A50 f1.2, FA50 f2.8 macro, DA*55 f1.4, FA77 f1.8, DFA100 f2.8 macro, A100 f2.8, DA*300 f4, FA*300 f4.5, DA10-17 FE, DA12-24 f4, DA*16-50 f2.8, DA17-70 f4, FA*28-70 f2.8, DA*50-135 f2.8, DA*60-250 f4, FA*80-200 f2.8.
Flashes:AF540FGZ, AF360FGZ
Lance B
Posted 06/07/2009 - 05:25 Link
pnjmcc wrote:
Very cool Lance,

Looking forward to seeing the pictures when you get a chance to post them

Regards
PaulM
Thank you, Paul.
Cameras:K-7/K20D/*ist D/K10D
Lenses:DA14 f2.8, A16 f2.8, FA20 f2.8, FA31 f1.8, DA35 f2.8 macro, FA43 f1.9, FA50 f1.4, A50 f1.4, A50 f1.2, FA50 f2.8 macro, DA*55 f1.4, FA77 f1.8, DFA100 f2.8 macro, A100 f2.8, DA*300 f4, FA*300 f4.5, DA10-17 FE, DA12-24 f4, DA*16-50 f2.8, DA17-70 f4, FA*28-70 f2.8, DA*50-135 f2.8, DA*60-250 f4, FA*80-200 f2.8.
Flashes:AF540FGZ, AF360FGZ
Mike-P
Posted 06/07/2009 - 06:57 Link
Congrats, bring on the pics
Lance B
Posted 06/07/2009 - 09:05 Link
Mike-P wrote:
Congrats, bring on the pics
Thank you, Mike. I hope to get into the "test" photo phase soon as I get on top of a few things. It is winter here Down under, so the days are short!

Preliminary IQ results look promising. Nothing of note, just shots of table tops and dirty clothes baskets and the like purley for "testing" purposes.
Cameras:K-7/K20D/*ist D/K10D
Lenses:DA14 f2.8, A16 f2.8, FA20 f2.8, FA31 f1.8, DA35 f2.8 macro, FA43 f1.9, FA50 f1.4, A50 f1.4, A50 f1.2, FA50 f2.8 macro, DA*55 f1.4, FA77 f1.8, DFA100 f2.8 macro, A100 f2.8, DA*300 f4, FA*300 f4.5, DA10-17 FE, DA12-24 f4, DA*16-50 f2.8, DA17-70 f4, FA*28-70 f2.8, DA*50-135 f2.8, DA*60-250 f4, FA*80-200 f2.8.
Flashes:AF540FGZ, AF360FGZ
Unlocker
Posted 06/07/2009 - 10:03 Link
Now you're just making me Jealous Lance!

On a positive note, it's good to see you guys down under getting them so soon.
Clarky
Posted 06/07/2009 - 10:10 Link
Unlocker wrote:
Now you're just making me Jealous Lance!

On a positive note, it's good to see you guys down under getting them so soon.
It must be a first Danny we are usually on the "whatever is left they can have" list

I decided to jump in early in case they made a mistake with the price
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Lance B
Posted 06/07/2009 - 10:34 Link
Unlocker wrote:
Now you're just making me Jealous Lance!

On a positive note, it's good to see you guys down under getting them so soon.
Thank you, Danny.

I think you'll be even more jealous of the price we pay.... about AU$1,550 which is about GBP750-760. That should get your blood boiling. How many do you want me to send over?

Remove our 10% GST and add your vat and freight and I think it would still be cheaper!
Cameras:K-7/K20D/*ist D/K10D
Lenses:DA14 f2.8, A16 f2.8, FA20 f2.8, FA31 f1.8, DA35 f2.8 macro, FA43 f1.9, FA50 f1.4, A50 f1.4, A50 f1.2, FA50 f2.8 macro, DA*55 f1.4, FA77 f1.8, DFA100 f2.8 macro, A100 f2.8, DA*300 f4, FA*300 f4.5, DA10-17 FE, DA12-24 f4, DA*16-50 f2.8, DA17-70 f4, FA*28-70 f2.8, DA*50-135 f2.8, DA*60-250 f4, FA*80-200 f2.8.
Flashes:AF540FGZ, AF360FGZ
Clarky
Posted 06/07/2009 - 10:49 Link
Lance B wrote:
Unlocker wrote:
Now you're just making me Jealous Lance!

On a positive note, it's good to see you guys down under getting them so soon.
Thank you, Danny.

I think you'll be even more jealous of the price we pay.... about AU$1,550 which is about GBP750-760. That should get your blood boiling. How many do you want me to send over?

Remove our 10% GST and add your vat and freight and I think it would still be cheaper!
Good heavens Lance, don't get him going again
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
johnriley
Posted 06/07/2009 - 11:45 Link
That's a fantastic price, unless of course our "street price" turns out to be lower than expected!

Good luck with the new cameras and let's see some pictures soon?
Best regards, John
Unlocker
Posted 06/07/2009 - 12:09 Link
With one supplier quoting a street price of £999 over here it is making me think that there may be a change of heart on pricing, but I'm sure we will find out in a few days!
paullucas
Posted 06/07/2009 - 12:09 Link
I would be interested to find out more on the K7 as at the moment I am not fussed at all which for me is quite strange. When the K20 came out I bought it within 2 weeks same as the previous K10. For some reason I do not have the same urgency to run out and buy one.

I have no use for the HD video, I know that this is the thing of the future and most new cameras will have this facility as standard from now on, to me (and this is personal and not intended to insult anyone so please don't quote me as insulting) I feel it is a gimmick.
I am worried about the body size as it is supposed to be marginally smaller even with the grip attached. To me the K20 is to small. I like big and weighty cameras, especially when there is a larger lens attached. Again that is a personal preference.

I would be very interested to know from others what this camera is like and how it handles.

The only points that I am interested in is the new sensor, the shutter speed, the 5.2 frames a second and the improved shake reduction (which I think is amazing being built into the camera rather than the lens).

I do have funds available but I was going to buy a new K20. If the K7 turns out to be better than my first impressions then I will consider buying it.

So I shall read the reviews that my fellow Pentax User's write rather than what the magazines drivvel on about and I will make my decision then.


Paul

Edited: spelling
Edited by paullucas: 06/07/2009 - 12:12
Unlocker
Posted 06/07/2009 - 12:16 Link
Take it you've read my 2 week test Paul?

If that isn't enough, seriously, just go and try one. Your perspective changes completely!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo