Just one

techno-terminator

Link Posted 12/06/2014 - 01:58
of 85 I took today - the morning was difficult - light and rain affected stuff - even Photomonk was struggling with a 1.8 lens so what chance had I !

The afternoon was different - and I learned a lot

let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

MrB

Link Posted 12/06/2014 - 07:43
The photo seems to be at least a stop under-exposed, but does it represent how the scene looked at the time?

Cheers.
Philip

techno-terminator

Link Posted 12/06/2014 - 12:36
Of course everyones' ideas of perfect exposure vary. Actually this is very very near to what it did look like at the time - it's a crop and if you saw the whole pic I think you would agree .

I don't often do much cropping - but one suggestion from yesterday's lesson was when and how to .

gartmore

Link Posted 12/06/2014 - 14:10
Exposure looks fine to me but I'd be inclined to desaturate the foliage at the top whis is drawing my eye away from the icon
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

MrB

Link Posted 12/06/2014 - 18:52
gartmore wrote:
Exposure looks fine to me but I'd be inclined to desaturate the foliage at the top whis is drawing my eye away from the icon

I am here to learn and the exposure did not look right to me, and also the histogram has very little beyond halfway. That is why I asked if the photo represented the scene at the time of shooting - and thank you for answering that point, Techno. However, I do agree about reducing the impact of the foliage.

Cheers.
Philip

Snootchies

Link Posted 12/06/2014 - 21:10
I'd say the exposure is fine. I'd really consider a black and white conversion though. The greenery at the top is arguably a little distracting and a mono conversion would be a good leveller. I also can't help but think it needs rotating clockwise ever so slightly. Or it might just be me.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link

gartmore

Link Posted 12/06/2014 - 21:38
Your right about the rotation, +0.25 CW
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 12/06/2014 - 21:42

gartmore

Link Posted 12/06/2014 - 21:39
MrB wrote:
gartmore wrote:

I am here to learn and the exposure did not look right to me, and also the histogram has very little beyond halfway. That is why I asked if the photo represented the scene at the time of shooting - and thank you for answering that point, Techno. However, I do agree about reducing the impact of the foliage.

Cheers.
Philip

Histograms are fine for judging some things but a naturally dark image will always be to the left
Ken

techno-terminator

Link Posted 12/06/2014 - 22:50
Snootchies - since the subject is what it is there is no way I would consider converting it to B&W , and that's not because I prefer colour photos - icons are never in B&W.

Yes - having looked at it again today - it's still needing a touch of rotation - it's not easy taking things built into a wall going up a sloping path I thought I'd got it correct - using the slab at the bottom - I should have used the sides of the Icon - clearly I need her help - St Paraskevi - patron for eye problems

Stuey

Link Posted 12/06/2014 - 23:15
I like it
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

Gravelrash

Link Posted 17/06/2014 - 13:58
Well I like it the way it is Techno. I like the exposure, the colour and even the greenery gives it the setting. Rotation is fine. The thing isn't straight so what aspect do you use as a baseline? You could spend time in PS making it straight but it is what it is, warts and all. Good picture and I would have made the same choices.
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?

techno-terminator

Link Posted 17/06/2014 - 15:01
Thanks - I have done a little rotation in Aperture - consulted with Photomonk [ by heck I've learnt a lot from him while I've been over ] and having messed about a lot finally decided to use the vertical sides of the Icon .

I've had tremendous fun here I've also taken some shots I'd never have considered trying before and am not too unhappy with the results [ see the ones from a Church ]. I've learnt to think out of the box on occasions .

I've some marvellous shots taken from some wonderful places which make great memories

Blaze

Link Posted 17/06/2014 - 15:56
My eye was drawn straight to the icon and as you'd said the weather/light was difficult, I took the shot as it was. The dark stone makes a nice frame for the strong but not harsh colours of the icon.
I like the greenery (maize?) which gives me the feeling that this icon is at the side of a country road for travellers to stop at.

techno-terminator

Link Posted 17/06/2014 - 16:30
No - it's actually in the grounds of a Monastery - they have lots of external Icons - this was the most striking one , I felt. I have no idea as to what the greenery is.

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.