Just a little showcase

Posted 02/08/2008 - 15:06 Link
Hi all,

Here are some of my pictures taken using K10D using either 18-55 lens or a Tamron 70 - 300 lens.

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g138/ocha84/LadyPhotographer.jpg[/IMG]
Candid Shot

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g138/ocha84/EdinburghCathedral.jpg[/IMG]
Edinburgh

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g138/ocha84/ChurchRemain.jpg[/IMG]
Edinburgh

I'd appreciate your comments and critics
beachboy2
Posted 03/08/2008 - 05:14 Link
Hi OC_P
Like No 1. No 3 doesn't look very sharp.

No2 cries out for transformation to remove skew and level adjustments to brighten buildings in shadow and darken blown clouds. Takes 2 minutes or less in PSE.
cheers
bb2

K5, K20D, Bigma, Sigma EX 105, Sigma EX 10-20, Sigma EX 28-70 F2.8, Sigma Ex 1.4TC,
Pentax 135 F3.5, Pentax 30mm F2.8 , Pentax 50mm F1.7, Pentax 55mm F1.8,
Super Taks: 35mm F3.5, 50mm F1.4, 135mm F3.5, 200mm F4
Vivitar TX 200mm F3.5,Vivitar (Komine)135mm f2.8, Vivitar 2X TC, Vivitar T4 400mm F6.3
Tamron SP 35-80,80-210 F3.8, Helios 44M, Mir 1B 37mm F2.8, Jupiter 9 85mm F2, Chinon 28mm F2.8, 3M-5A 500mm F8 etc etc
pschlute
Posted 03/08/2008 - 08:44 Link
Hi

I love number 1 !! The angle, the subject, the look in her eye..... great shot.

I am afraid it goes downhill for me from then on. Number 2 is holiday snap-ish in my opinion. Not sharp and the Leaning tower of Pisa on the left doesn't add to the scene.

Number 3 is also unsharp (perhaps 1/90 was not fast enough at your focal length) and the cut off chimney and lamp ? at the bottom dont help either. I always find old Abbeys wonderful places to visit but find my photos of them always lacking something, dont know why.

ps. did i mention how much i liked number 1. ?
George Lazarette
Posted 03/08/2008 - 15:01 Link
When taking buildings, one technique I sometimes use (with a suitably wide lens) is to take the picture with the camera held level (not pointed up).

This produces a lot of foreground, which needs cropping out later, but it also means that the buildings no longer lean in or back.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 03/08/2008 - 22:40 Link
Cool, thanks for the tips.

After reading the comments I've had a look at my other pictures taken at 300mm were a little out of focus.

I use manual focus all the time because that way I can choose quicker which areas I want to focus on.

It looks like I still need a lot of practice with manual focusing. Any tips???
hefty1
Posted 03/08/2008 - 23:21 Link
If you're serious about manual focus then you'll probably end up buying a Katz-Eye focus screen. At $105 (more if you start adding optional grid lines and coverings) these aren't cheap, but everyone who has one seems to swear by it. It utilises a split prism (like the old MF film cameras) which makes manual focussing a much more precise affair.

Here's a tip that's specific to the lenses you're using; both are consumer zooms which aren't at their best when used (a) wide open or (b) at the extremes of their focal range. For instance, the Tamron will give much better results at (for example) 250mm/f8 than it will at 300mm/f5.6. As a rule of thumb you'll get better results if you back off slightly on the zoom and stop down 1 or 2 stops on the aperture.

Both lenses are capable of very good results (the Pentax 18-55 is probably more forgiving than the Tamron) but you need to realise their limitations and work within them - once you do you'll find that your results will improve quite dramatically.
Joining the Q
Posted 04/08/2008 - 09:59 Link
Thanks for that, I'll definately consider the Katz-Eye focus screen.
But, does a viewfinder magnifier help with manual focusing?
pschlute
Posted 04/08/2008 - 10:25 Link
The viewfinder magnifier O-ME53 will give a 1.2x magnification. This is useful if you do a lot of close up work, but you will have to shift your eye around slightly to see all sides of the frame and wiewfinder displays.

The split prism screen is a much better option in my opinion, and I have used both.
ChrisA
Posted 04/08/2008 - 10:29 Link
OC_Photobug wrote:
I use manual focus all the time because that way I can choose quicker which areas I want to focus on.

It looks like I still need a lot of practice with manual focusing. Any tips???
Since you have AF lenses, you might consider using AF as follows:

- set the AF mode selection to centre spot
- half-press* to achieve focus with the camera pointing at what you want sharpest
- and then reframing to take the picture.

I find this is quicker than focusing manually, and still lets you choose what's sharp.

You can choose (in the Custom menu) to either lock the exposure with the focus or not.

Using a split-prism to focus manually still requires the camera to be pointing directly at the part of the frame that you want sharp, so reframing is still needed.

Therefore I don't see any advantage in modifying the camera, unless you start using MF-only lenses.

________
*Alternatively, again in the Custom menu, you can uncouple AF from the half-press, and use the AF button on the back to focus if you prefer.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Edited by ChrisA: 04/08/2008 - 10:32
pschlute
Posted 04/08/2008 - 10:46 Link
OCPhotobug

To add to what Chris has said regarding using autofocus. I use the method he describes of centrepoint focus and then re-frame. With the Pentax lens you have (18-55), after the auto-focus has locked on(in single AF mode) you are still able to turn the focus ring to "fine tune" the focus if needed.

It might be worthwhile doing some experiments to see which is better , the AF or your eyes !
Posted 04/08/2008 - 11:20 Link
Thanks guys.

I'll try out the reframing method today.

I'll be out in Hyde Park to take some pictures. I'll definately put them up for comments. I'm learning more in 1 day in this forum than reading books.

Thanks a lot, really appreciated it.
ChrisA
Posted 04/08/2008 - 11:22 Link
pschlute wrote:
With the Pentax lens you have (18-55), after the auto-focus has locked on(in single AF mode) you are still able to turn the focus ring to "fine tune" the focus if needed.
I find doing this quite fiddly with AF coupled to the half-press, since you have to hold the button half-pressed while doing this. If you let go, then it just auto-focuses again when you reframe and take the picture.

With AF-decoupled from the half-press, this isn't the case, of course.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
mikew
Posted 04/08/2008 - 20:27 Link
I found that using the focus and reframe led to out of focus shots and then I found this:

http://visual-vacations.com/Photography/focus-recompose_sucks.htm

and this

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/focus_recompose.html

Why not use one of the multiple focus points? I do this on my K100D and while I may get rotten photos they are usually in focus.

Comment Image


If I had used focus and recompose I'm pretty certain that the oil container would have been out of focus. Incidentally pixel peeping says it's in focus but maybe at 1/20th second there may be a tad of blur.

Mike
ChrisA
Posted 04/08/2008 - 21:48 Link
mikew wrote:
I found that using the focus and reframe led to out of focus shots and then I found this:

http://visual-vacations.com/Photography/focus-recompose_sucks.htm
Well, sure. The closer you are, and the wider the subject, the larger these errors.

But once you get a decent distance away, they're insignificant.

The point I was making was that using a split prism will require the same reframing - and will give rise to exactly the same errors, for the same reason.

So if focus speed is the issue, MF won't help, unless you can see the sharpness of the off-centre subject clearly enough and quickly enough, which isn't always very easy.

Using the multiple focus points is fine when you have the time.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Edited by ChrisA: 04/08/2008 - 21:51
mikew
Posted 04/08/2008 - 22:05 Link
Chris I totally agree with your point about the MF screen. I was very surprised when I had focus issues when I first got my 10-20 zoom which were resolved by using the multiple focus points. Personally I don't find them any hassle to use as I can use the thingy on the back of the K100D to set the point to use.

Sad individual that I am I took shots of a brick wall at about 12-15 feet and could just about detect a difference in focus depending on where the focus point was set. The tell tale is often revealed when you hear the focus resset as you change focus point.

Mike

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo