Japan May 2014

jamieallan
Posted 30/05/2014 - 12:55 Link
I've been visiting my daughter in Kyoto for the last 2 weeks - got home about 9pm last night after 20-odd hour journey home. My time clock is shot so these might not be the best I've got from the trip.

Engyoji Temple - I liked this - this is my daughter silhouetted by a balcony door of the temple

Comment Image


Toji Pagoda and gardens

Comment Image


Heian Shrine
Comment Image


Roof Decor

Comment Image


Yasaka Shrine - the old and the new

Comment Image


Temple Water Fountain

Comment Image
Jamie
McGregNi
Posted 30/05/2014 - 13:20 Link
A beautiful & peaceful looking place, lucky you ! I like the silhouettes and detail in 'Roof Decor' in particular.

What camera / lens do you use? The outdoor shots are quite contrasty, giving quite black shadows I find. If they are camera JPEGs do you have a contrast control that could be reduced, and a 'low contrast' slider (the K7 has it with a small downward pointing triangle symbol). A couple of notches up on this would help the shadows I feel.

Look forward to seeing more from this great trip!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
jamieallan
Posted 30/05/2014 - 13:40 Link
Greg,
I used the K-30 and only took the 18-55 and 55-300mm for normal day shots. I also had the 50mm M f1.7 and my KAX macro convertor with me. Builders in Kyoto in the old days perfected a blackening of wood process to preserve the wood from burning and from insects so many of the temples are actually really dark/black in colour. Added to that the light was often harsh and on the day I was in Toji it was 31°C with 91% humidity at one point - it wasn't even raining.
Jamie
Edited by jamieallan: 30/05/2014 - 13:40
Gamka
Posted 30/05/2014 - 14:33 Link
Your threads are bringing back memories.

I have a very similar set of pictures - taken way back in 1994 when I spent two weeks travelling through Japan. In those days it was Ektar film (I believe) and high quality printing. The album still resides in my lounge.
Gravelrash
Posted 30/05/2014 - 16:21 Link
In contrast to Nigel (pardon the pun) I don't have a problem with your dark shades. I prefer the look. I am my Father's son though. Was raised with making high contrast images, to the point of, often, complete absence of detail. Same reason my daughter likes 80's music lol.

Great set. You have brought some of your trip back with you for us all to share
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
Smeggypants
Posted 31/05/2014 - 07:38 Link
I like high contrast images, but high contrast and dark shadows/blacks don't have to be mutually inclusive.

Having said that the first silhouette shot does need some adjusting IMO to make it work as a silhouette. The problem is the non-silhouette element if far too contrasty and too deep blacks so that parts of it look connected to the silhouette areas which it shouldn't be. this could be a quality image with some processing work applied to it. As it stands it doesn't cut it.

As for the rest, except for the last one, they are all "holiday snap"

Quote:
My time clock is shot so these might not be the best I've got from the trip
I really hope so. I'm looking at the image labelled "Yasaka Shrine - the old and the new" and I can see a multitude of inspiring things and perspectives to shoot.


Gravelrash wrote:

Great set.
No it isn't a great set. The only shot with any inspiration is the first one and that suffers badly from the background being an over-contrasty saturated distraction to the intended silhouette.


If we're going to help each other improve our photography we need to stop saying "great set" just to be polite and start giving constructive criticism that's in the same ball park as the quality of the pics offered up for comment.

We've just had a lengthy thread(s) on the aspect of appraising each others images. Let's turn this forum into a place where people can post images and get some honest, straight up, no nonsense analysis.

This is a photography forum, not Facebook where people post holiday snaps. Please let's have a Quality Control level that's befitting of a photography forum and not Facebook
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Gravelrash
Posted 31/05/2014 - 11:54 Link
Smeggy...I would say that quoting my opinion on a subjective matter in order to deny it's validity and maintain some level of superiority or all knowing omnipotence is the height of arrogance.

I will however "see" your subjective majesty and "raise" you a more factual argument.

You say this is a Photography Forum and yet it's more of a Post Processing competition with half of the images being empty and uninspired taken with an expensive camera/lens and made unrecognisable through a computers digital processing.

I couldn't care less about bugs and birds yet I can appreciate the enormous effort put into taking some of the images.

I've never been to Japan, I loved seeing the pictures and made a nice change from birds and flys. The OP gave me an experience of his trip with photos that captured the mood. Why wouldn't I think they were great and I'm still gobsmacked that you would have the temerity...

"not Facebook where people post holidaysnaps"

Someone may take the greatest picture the world has ever seen but not post it because Smeggy might get out the burning torches and pitch fork.

Re-reading your "critique" it went well until you quoted me and then Mr. Hyde pops up and goes off like some deranged Sociopath. Take a chill pill and show some respect for others, even if they have less talent or knowledge.

This New World Order of critique is not an excuse to belittle, undermine and generally exercise your frustrations.

Love you Smeggy but wind your neck in

Smeggypants wrote:
I like high contrast images, but high contrast and dark shadows/blacks don't have to be mutually inclusive.

Having said that the first silhouette shot does need some adjusting IMO to make it work as a silhouette. The problem is the non-silhouette element if far too contrasty and too deep blacks so that parts of it look connected to the silhouette areas which it shouldn't be. this could be a quality image with some processing work applied to it. As it stands it doesn't cut it.

As for the rest, except for the last one, they are all "holiday snap"

Quote:
My time clock is shot so these might not be the best I've got from the trip
I really hope so. I'm looking at the image labelled "Yasaka Shrine - the old and the new" and I can see a multitude of inspiring things and perspectives to shoot.


Gravelrash wrote:

Great set.
No it isn't a great set. The only shot with any inspiration is the first one and that suffers badly from the background being an over-contrasty saturated distraction to the intended silhouette.


If we're going to help each other improve our photography we need to stop saying "great set" just to be polite and start giving constructive criticism that's in the same ball park as the quality of the pics offered up for comment.

We've just had a lengthy thread(s) on the aspect of appraising each others images. Let's turn this forum into a place where people can post images and get some honest, straight up, no nonsense analysis.

This is a photography forum, not Facebook where people post holiday snaps. Please let's have a Quality Control level that's befitting of a photography forum and not Facebook
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
jamieallan
Posted 31/05/2014 - 12:06 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
I like high contrast images, but high contrast and dark shadows/blacks don't have to be mutually inclusive.

Having said that the first silhouette shot does need some adjusting IMO to make it work as a silhouette. The problem is the non-silhouette element if far too contrasty and too deep blacks so that parts of it look connected to the silhouette areas which it shouldn't be. this could be a quality image with some processing work applied to it. As it stands it doesn't cut it.

David,

I've attempted to reduce the contrast of the background but I don't think the image is better for it. Any suggestions ?

Comment Image



Smeggypants wrote:

As for the rest, except for the last one, they are all "holiday snap"

I'm curious as to why you excepted the last image from your statement.


Smeggypants wrote:

I really hope so. I'm looking at the image labelled "Yasaka Shrine - the old and the new" and I can see a multitude of inspiring things and perspectives to shoot.


If we're going to help each other improve our photography we need to stop saying "great set" just to be polite and start giving constructive criticism that's in the same ball park as the quality of the pics offered up for comment.

We've just had a lengthy thread(s) on the aspect of appraising each others images. Let's turn this forum into a place where people can post images and get some honest, straight up, no nonsense analysis.

This is a photography forum, not Facebook where people post holiday snaps. Please let's have a Quality Control level that's befitting of a photography forum and not Facebook
I don't think I agree with your last statement - who would decide what's 'quality' and what isn't? I'd rather have a poor image but with some background detail of interest than no image at all. Surely this forum is open to all Pentax camera images - irrespective of their 'quality'. With regard to my recent Japan trip most - if not all - of my images could be described as 'holiday snaps' - but I'd hope that some people might find the subject matter of some interest. I know that's what I want when viewing an image or thread - to be interested in it.

I'll happily take on board any advice offered to improve my image taking however this is still only a hobby of mine so I'm not prepared to get too anal about it.
Jamie
kirstyj
Posted 31/05/2014 - 16:54 Link
Jamie, thank you so much for sharing your images - I for one, love them! I have been to Japan before and your pictures brought back memories, which surely what photography should be all about - but I'm not going to get involved in that argument!

I'm lucky enough to be going back to Japan in September, which I'm very excited about! Last time I went I only had a little point and shoot camera and a vague interest in photography (still managed to get some good shots though!) this time I'll have my k7, k3, a selection of lenses from 10mm to 700mm and hopefully more knowledge about composition and set up etc and come away with some good images.

Visiting Japan in May I can appreciate how harsh the light was (I went previously in June) and also how difficult your first shot was - I for one struggle to do shots like that and I think you did really well and also caught the essence of Japan in the other shots.

Here are some of mine!

Asakusa, Tokyo
Comment Image


Himeji Castle
Comment Image


A bomb dome, Hiroshima
Comment Image


Peace flame, Hiroshima
Comment Image


Hiroshima
Comment Image


Toji Pagoda, Kyoto
Comment Image


Mount Fuji
Comment Image


I think the most important thing to remember is that photography is so subjective and as long as you enjoy taking photographs and enjoy your images, that's all that matters! We can't all be lucky enough to photography full time as work and life often get in the way. I recently had a butterfly picture that I'd taken critiqued in that it would never make a natural history shot as the depth of field was too shallow and not all of the butterfly was in focus. Well, although I took it on board, it wasn't meant to be a natural history shot and I like the image so much that it is framed on the wall in my house and my Mum has it framed in her house too! To me it didn't matter - I love the image!

Apologies Jamie for taking over your thread with some of my images - will look forward to seeing some more of yours when you've recovered from your jet lag!
Gravelrash
Posted 31/05/2014 - 18:01 Link
This thread just got doubly controversial but anyway...I also like your pictures Kirsty despite your, ahem, compact camera's limitations. Japan would appear to be very photogenic.
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
jamieallan
Posted 31/05/2014 - 18:10 Link
kirstyj wrote:


Apologies Jamie for taking over your thread with some of my images - will look forward to seeing some more of yours when you've recovered from your jet lag!
Kirsty,
No need to apologise - your images are welcome - it's such a beautiful country with so many photo opportunities isn't it? Despite it being 31°C in Tokyo and Kyoto Mt. Fuji still had snow on it this week.
Himeji Castle is having major work done on it at present

Comment Image


but what a wonderful 400 year old building. I reckon it was designed by a cakemaker. Looks like we've been to the same places - where are you going to on your next visit? My daughter lived in Tokyo for 2 years from 2008-2010. She is now working for Kyoto University on a 5 year contract so I've got my holidays sorted for the foreseeable future. She could be a tour guide - I calculated that one day we walked near 20km.
Jamie
jamieallan
Posted 31/05/2014 - 18:16 Link
Gravelrash wrote:
Japan would appear to be very photogenic.
Steve,
Thanks for your previous comments. If you ever get the chance I'd urge you to go. The mix of new and old architecture is breathtaking. The people are the friendliest you'd ever come across and are really appreciative of visitors. Added to that I've just eaten my way through Japan - the food is delicious.
Jamie
kirstyj
Posted 31/05/2014 - 18:46 Link
Steve, I too urge you to go if you ever get the chance, it's an amazing country and as Jamie said, the Japanese are so welcoming and friendly. I went to Japan for my honeymoon and I can't wait to go back! Thank you for your comments on my pictures, it really was a very basic point and shoot, as you can probably tell!

Jamie, I loved Himeji castle - mainly because it is one of the few remaining original castles, as most of them have burnt down and been rebuilt many times. We also went to Osaka castle and stayed near Hiroshima castle, but Himeji really stood out for me - it's so beautiful and will hopefully look even better after the facelift! Mount Fuji is just magical. When we set out it was very cloudy and we didn't expect to see much, but when we walked out of the train station (near lake Kawaguchi I think!) the clouds parted and there it was. Definitely want to go back there again, contemplating climbing it and seeing the sunrise but I'm not sure yet! Think it might not be the climbing season when we go at the end of September.

We are flying directly into Tokyo so I'd like to spend a few more days there exploring the theatre district near Asakusa - apparently there are some kabuki theatres there and numerous traditional restaurants which we missed first time round. I'd also like to go back to Kyoto and see if I can spot a few geisha to photograph - as beautiful as the temples and shrines are I think we saw too many of the when we first went there!! But I would like to go to the Fushimi Inari Shrine in Kyoto and photograph the tunnel of torii gates, I'd also like to go further north into Hokkaido and photograph the macaques and I believe the F1 is happening when we're there too! There's so much I want to do, especially now I'm into photography!! When I came back from my last visit I got really interested in Japanese culture and food and I know a lot more about Japan than I did first time round, luckily we're going for 3 weeks so I should get to see a lot more! I think we did go to the same places! What were your highlights and recommendations?

How much does your daughter charge as a tour guide?
Edited by kirstyj: 31/05/2014 - 18:57
McGregNi
Posted 31/05/2014 - 19:33 Link
jamieallan wrote:

David,

I've attempted to reduce the contrast of the background but I don't think the image is better for it. Any suggestions ?

Comment Image
It is a technical & creative improvement for sure - very deep shadows in the background (makes up the high contrast) were distracting - the softer contrast now complements the silhouette better.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 31/05/2014 - 19:33
jamieallan
Posted 31/05/2014 - 20:01 Link
Kirsty,
If you are planning to move around I'd suggest you buy a JR rail pass. You'd need buy it in the UK as you cannot purchase it in Japan. You can use it on the Shinkansen Hikari service and the Narita Express as well as all the local JR trains. You can't use it for the subway in either Tokyo or Kyoto though. You can also use it on JR buses and you get a discount if you are staying in JR Hotels. I booked all my hotels last minute whilst in Japan - I had my Android tablet with me - through Booking.com and was amazed at the deals I got. I averaged less than £35 per night for 3 and 4 star accommodation including a 4 star hotel across the road from Nijo castle.
Eating wasn't a problem - I'll eat almost anything - though baby octopus on a stick was a step too far. We eat in local small restaurants. Almost all have open cooking areas so you can see your food being prepared. I've never had a problem in all my visits. It's a myth that Japan is expensive for eating - £3 gets you a European cooked breakfast and coffee - even at the airport.
For things to see outside the cities I'd suggest
Arashiyama - monkey mountain and the bamboo forest
Miyajima - tori gates and unbelievably tame deer
Kinkaku-ji - Golden Temple
Kawaguchiko Station and the 5 lakes at the base of Mt. Fuji - remember Fuji is only open for climbing in July and August each year but the lakes give spectacular views.
Yokohama for it's Chinatown
Nara/Kamakura - the giant Buddha
Hakone - black egg mountain, sulphur springs and an other world landscape. The cable car ride is something else - it passes over the hot sulphur springs.
I could go on - Tokyo itself could take up your 3 weeks. I think it's got every known museum type - it's even got the Yebisu beer museum where you sample the delights - been there - will go again.
Jamie

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo