ist DL... newbie....zoom lens question

sports_mad2004

Link Posted 29/12/2005 - 12:03
I have a new ist dl....what a camera !

Sorry if this has been dealt with before but can anyone point me in direction of a powerful zoom lens for sports photography? I saw a 500m on e bay, an opteka 500mm HD Lens for Pentax *ist DL DS D ZX-L ZX-60 ZX-7...will this do it?

Thanks for any advice

John

Kimbo

Link Posted 29/12/2005 - 15:55
Well I guess the answer is 'yes and no'.

A fixed 500mm can be very useful but also somewhat limiting. It's a serious telephoto length and becomes a 750mm on an *ist DSLR, which makes it very tricky for hand-held shots. You'll need a fast shutter speed, plenty of light and preferably a decent tripod.
You asked about a zoom and although I can't recommend a specific model, I would have thought that either a 70-200 (105-300) or 100-300 (150-450) would be more usable and versatile.

There are loads of zooms in the 70-200 ish range that you could pick up quite cheaply to experiment with before investing in a more specific choice.
I'd look for a Pentax A series (manual) or F/FA series (autofocus) zoom - general rule, stick with Pentax
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!

niblue

Link Posted 29/12/2005 - 16:09
A versatile (although more expensive) option for sports photography would be to get an F2.8 80-200 and a 2x convertor.

sports_mad2004

Link Posted 29/12/2005 - 21:35
Thanks for the advice. Is Ebay a good place to look?

johnriley

Link Posted 29/12/2005 - 22:07
IMHO eBay is always a good place to look - I have found some fantastic items at reasonable prices.

Just read the descriptions carefully, check the sellers feedback and ask questions if in doubt. With care, eBay can be excellent.
Best regards, John

Kimbo

Link Posted 30/12/2005 - 02:58
I agree with John - eBay is always worth checking out.
Don't restrict yourself to just looking for a lens though, you'll be surprised at how cheaply you can pick up the lens you want plus a camera body - which if you don't want to keep, you can sell on.
I recently picked up a cracking F 50mm 1.7 at a real bargain price because no one seemed to want the SFXn that came with it. I only really wanted the lens but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the camera and I think of it as an added bonus
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!

niblue

Link Posted 30/12/2005 - 12:24
I'd also agree that Ebay can be a good source as long as you're careful about who you buy off by checking the feedback. Also anything that looks too good to be true probably is.

I sold a couple of lenses myself there recently (FA* 24mm F2 and Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70 F2.6-2. and I'd have said the purchasers got bargains compared to what either lens would have cost elsewhere, even used.

niblue

Link Posted 30/12/2005 - 12:40
An item I was watching on Ebay just finished and, assuming it's genuine, it looks a decent bargain:

Z1p body, Pentax 28-80mm AF, Tokina 60-300 MF, Chinon 35-70 MF, Tokina 28mm F2.8 MF, 2x convertor, Cobra flashgun and omni-bounce, carrying bag, film, all for 100 plus postage

If I didn't have a Z1p already I'd have bought it myself!

SPB

Link Posted 06/03/2006 - 20:58
From my limited Pentax experience, I would recommend the DA 50-200, I wondered whether to buy a zoom at all, so I bought a fixed plus this zoom, and I am really pleased with the results of this lens. Very light and I have no difficulty hand-holding most of the time.

Check out these pages:-

http://web.mac.com/stevenbutterworth/iWeb/Animals/Sheep.html
The first 5 shots are all taken with the DA 50-200 with the standard flash in a dark barn.

All shots on this page shot with this zoom lens, in very bright fresh snow conditions.
http://web.mac.com/stevenbutterworth/iWeb/Switzerland/Rotkreuz2.html

MattMatic

Link Posted 06/03/2006 - 21:16
I've tried a few zooms, and have now settled on the Pentax SMC-FA 80-320.
Very cheap, second hand from Jessops in the UK. Not very bright wide open, but razor sharp and wonderful colour, especially on the *ist-D.

Matt

sports_mad2004

Link Posted 06/03/2006 - 23:13
thanks chaps.

sports_mad2004

Link Posted 15/03/2006 - 21:54
Ok sorry if I am dim, but can I assume that the standard pentax zoom lens from the slr camera range will work with my ist DL ?

I want to shoot sport and wonder if this 80-320 will do the job well?

Thanks again

George Lazarette

Link Posted 15/03/2006 - 22:26
If, by the words "standard zoom lens" you mean one of the dozen or so that have an A setting on the aperture ring, then, yes, it will work properly with your DSLR.

If it doesn't have an A setting, then you will have to use it in manual mode, or Av mode at full aperture.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Mannesty

Link Posted 15/03/2006 - 22:35
You need to be more specific about which sport(s) you want to shoot. Outdoor or indoor? Close-up or long distance? High speed action or slow?

The FA 80-320 is an excellent lens but if you want to shoot relatively dimly lit , indoor, longish distance, high-speed action - that lens probably will not be fast enough to stop the action and record a correct exposure.

So, what sports are you interested in photographing ?
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

sports_mad2004

Link Posted 15/03/2006 - 22:42
Thanks.I must apologise for my lack of knowledge. It seems therefore that all non digital pentax lenses fit but will only work automatically with the dslr if there is an A setting on the aperyre ring.Is there an easy way of knowing this when I come to buy second hand on ebay etc?

Like wise if there is no A I can stil use all pentax slr fitting lenses but in manual, which is still ok I guess.

John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.