Is Flickr Dying
Posted 22/12/2017 - 20:35
Link
Share your images where-ever you wish to on-line, but store them locally on Hdd's or Sdd's or even CD as imo much more secure than cloud based servers u have no idea where they are or even if they will exist next year or the year after.
Chris
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Posted 23/12/2017 - 00:05
Link
Is Flickr Dying?
No, it's just pining for the fjords!
Seriously: There are many alternatives to Flickr, including SmugMug (which I don't use but is well patronised) and Pbase (which I do).
Use these types of cloud services as a back-up to your own back-ups, and to display those images / galleries you are happy to make public.
No, it's just pining for the fjords!
Seriously: There are many alternatives to Flickr, including SmugMug (which I don't use but is well patronised) and Pbase (which I do).
Use these types of cloud services as a back-up to your own back-ups, and to display those images / galleries you are happy to make public.
Posted 23/12/2017 - 22:39
Link
i-Berg wrote:
Is Flickr Dying?
No, it's just pining for the fjords!
Seriously: There are many alternatives to Flickr, including SmugMug (which I don't use but is well patronised) and Pbase (which I do).
Use these types of cloud services as a back-up to your own back-ups, and to display those images / galleries you are happy to make public.
Thanks for the pointers and yes all I want is an easy way of sharing albums and video as I used to be able with Flickr but their up-loader is just awful. So I'm looking for an alternative all my photos and documents are automatically backed up to hard drives so backup isn't the reason I use online storage, its just to share my photos easily. I've looked at your images on Pbase some smashing photos on there and its quick to respond, I will have to have a serious look at Pbase and Smugmug. I'm not adverse to paying a bit for a good service but from what I see the payers on Flickr seem to be getting an equally bad service me a free user.
Is Flickr Dying?
No, it's just pining for the fjords!
Seriously: There are many alternatives to Flickr, including SmugMug (which I don't use but is well patronised) and Pbase (which I do).
Use these types of cloud services as a back-up to your own back-ups, and to display those images / galleries you are happy to make public.
Posted 24/12/2017 - 07:09
Link
Flickr works perfectly for me, with no problems at all with the uploader. If you're having such problems I suspect it's more likely to be a problem with your computer.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Posted 24/12/2017 - 09:31
Link
I have no problem with Filckr either.
This space deliberately left blank.
Posted 24/12/2017 - 11:08
Link
No problems for me on Flickr, I don't upload very often, but when I do it works flawlessly.
Regards
David
Regards
David
Posted 24/12/2017 - 12:39
Link
Flickr works a treat for me as well
Try using the old uploader that Might be better for you
Try using the old uploader that Might be better for you
cheers Neil
pentax k3
DA* 300 f4 DA* 50-135 f 2.8 smc DA* 16-50 f2.8 50mm f1.7 pentax1.4xhd converter
Panasonic Dmc Fz200
pentax k3
DA* 300 f4 DA* 50-135 f 2.8 smc DA* 16-50 f2.8 50mm f1.7 pentax1.4xhd converter
Panasonic Dmc Fz200
Posted 24/12/2017 - 13:00
Link
Well, bearing in mind that whenever I choose something (goods or services), the manufacturer will soon drop the product from their catalogue , change it out of all recognition or even go out of business. And also that I transferred recently from Photobucket to Flickr for one of those reasons...
But it's working fine for me. So far...
But it's working fine for me. So far...
SteveH!
Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Posted 24/12/2017 - 13:56
Link
Flicker is the only place I use to share photos to the public. I use Google Drive occasionally to share to certain images to certain people, but the free account is 15GB. I don't use the Flicker uploader, I use Lightroom to do the uploads and that works fine for me.
Posted 24/12/2017 - 23:07
Link
I use the Unlimited free version of Google Photos (I still have my Picasa index page it is based on - now called 'Google album archive'). reduced by heavy compression but not in image size I then share privately in albums and or to Facebook or my personal web site with links. It works for me. You can allow shared links or not, contributions or not, comments or not.
IF Google would allow an addressed index page it would effectively become a Home page.
IF Google would allow an addressed index page it would effectively become a Home page.
Posted 27/12/2017 - 07:38
Link
I gave up on Flickr in 2013 when they furned it into an unholy mess. On the odd occasions I visit it still seems to be an unholy mess. There have been rumours of its demise for many years but it rumbles on looking like a second rate student programming project. I moved to Ipernity with which I am very happy. Small, community run site, but clean tidy look which allows you to focus on the image. It doesn't have a big enough user base for all the likes etc that you'll get on other sites, but allows for easy photo sharing here and on other fora.
Cheers, Kris.
Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 06/01/2020 - 19:14
Link
Flickr has been much improved in the last year, its cleaner and much quicker to access and for nearly a year all my bulk uploads have gone without a hitch. I can upload videos and 50 plus images at a time without any drop outs so I'm happy, except the price which is now best part of £50 a touch dear but it is advert free and unlimited storage.
Posted 06/01/2020 - 20:15
Link
davidrobinson wrote:
Flickr has been much improved in the last year, its cleaner and much quicker to access and for nearly a year all my bulk uploads have gone without a hitch. I can upload videos and 50 plus images at a time without any drop outs so I'm happy, except the price which is now best part of £50 a touch dear but it is advert free and unlimited storage.
I had it in their recent sale for £26 or thereabouts. Well worth it at that price for me, personally. Flickr has been much improved in the last year, its cleaner and much quicker to access and for nearly a year all my bulk uploads have gone without a hitch. I can upload videos and 50 plus images at a time without any drop outs so I'm happy, except the price which is now best part of £50 a touch dear but it is advert free and unlimited storage.
I agree, it’s not been buggy for me at all and is easy to organise, quick and no issues uploading.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


276 posts
15 years
Can anyone recommend a reliable safe place to store and share images?
Regards David