iPad app, syncs to Lightroom

thoughton

Link Posted 12/08/2011 - 12:34
http://photosmithapp.com/ (see here for features)

I only heard about this recently and gave it a try this week. It's amazing! Well worth the 13.

At the moment it only allows you to import images from your camera (Pentax PEF 100% supported!) using Apple's Camera Connection Kit (I finally got a chance to use the kit which I bought 18 months ago!). Once you have the images on the iPad you can reject, tag, put into collections etc, then when you get home it syncs everything back to Lightroom over wifi. This is great if you go on extended photography trips etc, so you can get started sorting through the photos without having to bring your laptop with you. It even allows 100% zoom (and it is amazingly quick, faster than doing it on my admittedly-ageing Core Duo laptop). You can also upload to Flickr, Facebook and DropBox directly from the iPad.

However IMO the best part is still to come. A new version due for release soon (the next couple of weeks, allegedly) will allow two-way syncing, so you can sync jpeg versions back to your iPad where you can do all the sorting and keywording before syncing all the metadata back to Lightroom. I'm looking forward to this so I can do this tedious (to me) job while lying on my sofa

One minor issue is that due to the differences between DNGs from different cameras, you have to import in PEF, or JPG, or DNG + JPG, to use the app properly. DNG alone isn't recommended.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Last Edited by thoughton on 12/08/2011 - 12:37
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.