Interesting article about photographing winter Olympics
Posted 18/02/2014 - 12:47
Link
this time with link!
http://gizmodo.com/the-inside-story-of-how-olympic-photographers-capture-s-15217...
Phil
http://gizmodo.com/the-inside-story-of-how-olympic-photographers-capture-s-15217...
Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses
My Flikr Page link
My Flikr Page link
Posted 18/02/2014 - 21:12
Link
Yes interesting - some great shots - I especially like the Ice Hockey one. Thanks for the link.
Posted 19/02/2014 - 01:36
Link
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 19/02/2014 - 01:39
Link
swarf wrote:
I'm afraid that there is nothing about Pentax in this article, but it's v.interesting nonetheless. Amazing the speed at which the agency teams get their images out to the world.
Phil
Yes indeed. I'm an impulse shooter and can rattle them off if there's a lot of stuff that inspires me on a shoot, btu I'm veyr slow at editing and compiling a best of gallery out of the frames.I'm afraid that there is nothing about Pentax in this article, but it's v.interesting nonetheless. Amazing the speed at which the agency teams get their images out to the world.
Phil
For that reason I'd never compete in this game. However to be fair how can one man compete against an industrial sized team where other people are selecting and editing.
Not sure I'd like that either as editing is part of the creative process for me and I wouldn't like to farm it out
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 19/02/2014 - 02:17
Link
You can't compete, thats whats killing off pro photography. Getty and AP are tying up nearly all the major events to give them exclusive access, be this sports, entertainments or even news.
Its amazing how many cameras in sports are now just shot by remote and rattled off at 15 fps. Whilst I acknowledge the skill involved in setting up, I can't just help feeling that it all seems so mechanical and soul less. The other problem with Getty and AP is that the national press have subscriptions with them that give the press access to all AP and Getty's images at no extra cost and in these cash strapped times Nationals are using these two agencies purely on a cost factor basis. I know on a number of occasions last year festivals that I have covered regularly for years unhindered have started to be covered by Getty and AP resulting in zero sales for me or other freelance photographers, it truly is a race to the bottom.....
Its amazing how many cameras in sports are now just shot by remote and rattled off at 15 fps. Whilst I acknowledge the skill involved in setting up, I can't just help feeling that it all seems so mechanical and soul less. The other problem with Getty and AP is that the national press have subscriptions with them that give the press access to all AP and Getty's images at no extra cost and in these cash strapped times Nationals are using these two agencies purely on a cost factor basis. I know on a number of occasions last year festivals that I have covered regularly for years unhindered have started to be covered by Getty and AP resulting in zero sales for me or other freelance photographers, it truly is a race to the bottom.....
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 19/02/2014 - 22:03
Link
cabstar wrote:
You can't compete, thats whats killing off pro photography. The other problem with Getty and AP is that the national press have subscriptions with them that give the press access to all AP and Getty's images at no extra cost and in these cash strapped times Nationals are using these two agencies purely on a cost factor basis. I know on a number of occasions last year festivals that I have covered regularly for years unhindered have started to be covered by Getty and AP resulting in zero sales for me or other freelance photographers, it truly is a race to the bottom.....
They'll take over taking our family snaps next.
You can't compete, thats whats killing off pro photography. The other problem with Getty and AP is that the national press have subscriptions with them that give the press access to all AP and Getty's images at no extra cost and in these cash strapped times Nationals are using these two agencies purely on a cost factor basis. I know on a number of occasions last year festivals that I have covered regularly for years unhindered have started to be covered by Getty and AP resulting in zero sales for me or other freelance photographers, it truly is a race to the bottom.....
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



850 posts
14 years
Woking
Phil
My Flikr Page link