Inside a K2

womble

Link Posted 04/06/2011 - 16:38
Some of you might be interested in this.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Dangermouse

Link Posted 04/06/2011 - 17:22
Aside from the ISO selector ring an excellent camera. Speaking of which, does anyone have advice on getting that part to operate as intended? Quite often when you press the black tab in it doesn't release the film speed selector properly.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Algernon

Link Posted 04/06/2011 - 17:27
Modern Photography certainly knew how to review camera's..... Take them Apart!!!

This wasn't a review, but an article that followed a review of a stripped down K2. They later merged with Popular Photography and stopped taking things to bits
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Kim C

Link Posted 04/06/2011 - 17:27
It's generally due to dirt. Is yours "truly" stiff or just awkward. I always had difficulty with mine until I found the knack of doing it and then it became quite easy.

Kim

Dangermouse wrote:
Aside from the ISO selector ring an excellent camera. Speaking of which, does anyone have advice on getting that part to operate as intended? Quite often when you press the black tab in it doesn't release the film speed selector properly.

Kim C

Link Posted 04/06/2011 - 17:34
BTW, If you want to know what else is inside, the full repair manual is on my website here:

http://pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/servicemanuals.htm

Kim

hefty1

Link Posted 05/06/2011 - 17:16
Excellent article - I hadn't seen that before.

Kim C wrote:
It's generally due to dirt. Is yours "truly" stiff or just awkward. I always had difficulty with mine until I found the knack of doing it and then it became quite easy.

Kim

Dangermouse wrote:

Hello Kim, nice to see you back after all this time - I still have your old FA43 in my kitbag.

My K2 was "truly" stiff when I bought it and could only be moved using both hands and a lot of swearing. Eventually I sat down for half an hour and just rotated it both ways until it started to free up - now it fits in the "awkward" category (which is still a huge improvement). Fortunately I have a box of ISO200 film to work through so the last few rolls have seen it just sit where it is, the rest of the camera works like a dream so it's a small price to pay.
Joining the Q

Dangermouse

Link Posted 05/06/2011 - 17:42
I'm not actually sure. It's my Dad's K2 which has sat unused for some years and is unlikely to see more use in his hands since he bought a K7, so I've given it a good clean and new light seals with a view to borrowing it for a roll or two of film over the summer (as it's the only original K-body I haven't used).

I can get it onto ISO 200 or 400 with some effort but it's nothing like as easy as the selector on my KX or KM. I did try a few drops of lighter fuel but they didn't seem to make any difference.
Matt

Kim C

Link Posted 05/06/2011 - 20:49
Glad to hear it. Well mostly - I've just got a silver K5 and it would lovely on that LOL

good to have some time to be back!

Kim
hefty1 wrote:

Hello Kim, nice to see you back after all this time - I still have your old FA43 in my kitbag.

Kim C

Link Posted 05/06/2011 - 20:53
Mine was like that until Michael Spencer worked his magic on it! I think the stiffness comes from general dirt rather than dried grease which is why the lighter fuel didn't work on mine either.

You'll find it a bit different from the other K's even though it was supposed to be part of the family. All the other's along with spotties shared the same case but the K2 had it's own. The finder is similar to the KX but despite looking similar in many way, it just seems to handl differently to me.

Kim

Dangermouse wrote:
I can get it onto ISO 200 or 400 with some effort but it's nothing like as easy as the selector on my KX or KM. I did try a few drops of lighter fuel but they didn't seem to make any difference.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 05/06/2011 - 22:42
It does seem to be a cross between an ME Super and a KX, in terms of functionality. I just wish they'd fitted the aperture indicator window to the K2 as well (it's on the K2DMD but not the plain K2, weird!) That camera shot all the holiday slides and negatives throughout my childhood, and is the main reason I have Pentax now (bought a K1000 so I could borrow lenses, and went from there).

I narrowly missed a tidy black non-working K2 a couple of months ago, at the price it went for having it CLA'd would have been worthwhile to end up with a perfectly functional clean K2 for very sensible money compared to what I've seen them go for. I don't feel any urge to buy a chrome one as there's already one of those in the family collection.

As for cases, I was given to understand that there was a new design for all three K bodies which is subtly different from the Spotty case. I have one for my KM, which is very close to mint and has been reunited with a 55/1.8 lens to make an original outfit. I have since seen a mint, boxed example of this case which advised that it was for the KM, KX and K2.
Matt

Last Edited by Dangermouse on 05/06/2011 - 22:51

Kim C

Link Posted 05/06/2011 - 23:08
My K2 is a black one and was beutifully serviced a few years ago. I know what you mean about the judas window. Never looked for it in the KM or K1000 but whenever I use the K", I do. I think it is because the finder looks like the KX one.

As far as the cases are concerned, the case for the K2 is different. For a start the tripod bush is in a different place. I saw one on eBay from Germany not long ago. I was tempted but in to forthcoming thin out, the K2 may have to go.

I still have the original case for the KX my wife bought me in the 70's but like so many it has ended up cracked. Better than the M series cases but still very tatty. It now lives in a Spottie case. Those seem to go on forever like the LX cases!

I suspect the ad you saw was for someone who didn't know the difference. In much the same way it took me a while to get an MX case. The redlined case for the ME and MV series were all the same but the MX was different and yet not long ago many if not most of the ads on that auction site stated they were MES/MX cases

Kim

Dangermouse wrote:
It does seem to be a cross between an ME Super and a KX, in terms of functionality. I just wish they'd fitted the aperture indicator window to the K2 as well (it's on the K2DMD but not the plain K2, weird!) That camera shot all the holiday slides and negatives throughout my childhood, and is the main reason I have Pentax now (bought a K1000 so I could borrow lenses, and went from there).

I narrowly missed a tidy black non-working K2 a couple of months ago, at the price it went for having it CLA'd would have been worthwhile to end up with a perfectly functional clean K2 for very sensible money compared to what I've seen them go for. I don't feel any urge to buy a chrome one as there's already one of those in the family collection.

As for cases, I was given to understand that there was a new design for all three K bodies which is subtly different from the Spotty case. I have one for my KM, which is very close to mint and has been reunited with a 55/1.8 lens to make an original outfit. I have since seen a mint, boxed example of this case which advised that it was for the KM, KX and K2.

hefty1

Link Posted 05/06/2011 - 23:20
As we're showing some love for the inside of a K2 here's the outside of one too (taken a few weeks ago) - I have the proper case and strap but keep meaning to get some strap protectors to avoid damaging the finish.

Joining the Q

womble

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 12:19
Very tidy looking hefty especially with the 1.2 lens on it.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

womble

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 12:23
Kim C wrote:
I suspect the ad you saw was for someone who didn't know the difference. In much the same way it took me a while to get an MX case. The redlined case for the ME and MV series were all the same but the MX was different and yet not long ago many if not most of the ads on that auction site stated they were MES/MX cases

I've just ordered an MX case and am hoping it is the right one! It looks different in the photo from the others I have for the ME Super etc. and the ad did explicitly say MX. I discovered that the ME-F uses a different case to the rest of the M series too. The standard M series back/bottom half case doesn't fit.

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

Kim C

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 12:36
The MX cases generally had a greyish blue lining whereas the others had a red lining

I have an "proper" MEF case and apart from the MEF lettering on the bottom, it doesn't seem any different from the other cases. I used to keep the MEF is a "normal case until I got that.

Kim

womble wrote:

I've just ordered an MX case and am hoping it is the right one! It looks different in the photo from the others I have for the ME Super etc. and the ad did explicitly say MX. I discovered that the ME-F uses a different case to the rest of the M series too. The standard M series back/bottom half case doesn't fit.

K.

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.