In his face

K10D

Link Posted 27/02/2015 - 10:38
Taken at Fremantle

35mm lens, f/3.5, 1/100s, ISO100

Best regards

McGregNi

Link Posted 28/02/2015 - 01:53
Its a compelling subject, and the narrow depth of field is appropriate. Unfortunately the very bight and complex OOF background on the right acts only as a major distraction. It pulls attention away from the face, which is also not helped by being mostly in shadow.

I think this either needed a different shooting angle with only sea in behind, or if not possible then I think technically its a classic case where some HSS flash would do the trick, with the background brightness pulled right down with underexposure, and the flash lighting the face ... this should also even out the contrast on the face. Its an idea perhaps worth trying if you get another chance .....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Helpful

K10D

Link Posted 28/02/2015 - 03:42
McGregNi wrote:
I think this either needed a different shooting angle with only sea in behind,

I will give the HSS flash a try Nigel as Freo is the Whitby of West Aus as well as the San Francisco of Australia, culturally and I'll be there again today link

Best regards

McGregNi

Link Posted 28/02/2015 - 04:00
It might prove an effective technique I feel with this .... I'd be looking for maybe around 2 stops underexposure on the ambient. There's not much trouble to flash-light this subject as he's all on his own, so there shouldn't be any shadow problems, although I guess some sort of diffuser on the flash head would help.

I like the 2nd one very much as there's more power in the face through it being more in the light and front -on. You've done very well with the OOF effect, it's just that that bright and colourful background is a real challenge!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 28/02/2015 - 04:00

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 28/02/2015 - 07:28
A nice link between the statue and the out of focus ships.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

StephenHampshire

Link Posted 28/02/2015 - 09:04
bwlchmawr wrote:
A nice link between the statue and the out of focus ships.

I think the first shot works well, because the out of focus and bright area IS the subject, the statue is looking towards this, the "lure of the sea" The second shot s just a picture of a statue, the first tells you something about mankind's connection with the oceans.
Everything Changes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/

K10D

Link Posted 28/02/2015 - 15:34
Another variant from today. Tight shot with flash, unfortunately I forgot the diffuser!

Best regards

McGregNi

Link Posted 28/02/2015 - 18:45
That's very nice! I like the contrast balancing and the background can still fulfil it's 'purpose' at a lower brightness level. The fill on the statute evens out the contrast on the face beautifully... Sure, maybe a diffuser would reduce reflections more .. But in any case, great job!
Last Edited by McGregNi on 28/02/2015 - 18:55

StephenHampshire

Link Posted 28/02/2015 - 19:48
McGregNi wrote:
That's very nice! I like the contrast balancing and the background can still fulfil it's 'purpose' at a lower brightness level. The fill on the statute evens out the contrast on the face beautifully... Sure, maybe a diffuser would reduce reflections more .. But in any case, great job!

You see for me, that last one is definitely worse - distracting highlights on the statue's face, (definitely would be improved with a diffuser on the flash) no context to the background at all. The first has a terrific diagonal composition with the line of the statue's eyes, he is throwing a wistful glance at the boats in the background, which are an important part of the overall composition. I would concede that I might run a grad ND filter in software to darken the top right corner a tad, a smidgeon, a whisker, but no more!!
Ah well, each to his own poison etc....
Everything Changes

McGregNi

Link Posted 28/02/2015 - 20:33
The problem I see Stephen, it's that you are viewing this as an ' environmental portrait' , ie with a strong emphasis on the connection of the subject to the environment.

But, this is not how the photographer has crafted the photo ... An environmental portrait demands a much smaller aperture and realistic rendering. The photographer has chosen completely differently, with a wide aperture and tight subject framing. This had the effect (I believe) of reducing the background to a much lower supporting role than the relationship that you are suggesting exists.

This is what I'm not seeing as a result of the photographers choices. In this case then, the positioning and dominant lighting on this secondary background element is only distracting, and needs technical control.

I understand how you want to view the photo, but I feel you are superimposing an alternative interpretation that does not exist in the visual reality of the image.
Last Edited by McGregNi on 28/02/2015 - 20:35

StephenHampshire

Link Posted 28/02/2015 - 22:07
McGregNi wrote:
The problem I see Stephen, it's that you are viewing this as an ' environmental portrait' , ie with a strong emphasis on the connection of the subject to the environment.

But, this is not how the photographer has crafted the photo ... An environmental portrait demands a much smaller aperture and realistic rendering. The photographer has chosen completely differently, with a wide aperture and tight subject framing. This had the effect (I believe) of reducing the background to a much lower supporting role than the relationship that you are suggesting exists.

This is what I'm not seeing as a result of the photographers choices. In this case then, the positioning and dominant lighting on this secondary background element is only distracting, and needs technical control.

I understand how you want to view the photo, but I feel you are superimposing an alternative interpretation that does not exist in the visual reality of the image.

Nope. I'm ust saying I like the first one. Personally I often use a large aperture to blur a background even when it relates to the main subject It makes the viewer work a bit harder to extract the intended meaning. But I could be totally wrong, the OP hasn't actually said what he wanted to convey, I am merely passing on my feeling about the original photo. I've noticed from other posts on this forum that I appear to have a high tolerance for distracting backgrounds. I have a similar "problem" at home, where I often have a radio and a CD on at the same time. My wife just hears a incoherent mess, but I tune my ear to whichever source I want to listen to and filter out the other. I also respond visually to patterns, (which helps when I do crosswords as often I can see patterns in the letters which suggest words to me before I decode the clues)

The original image has a strong gradation from dark (lower left) to light (upper right) The boats are obviously boats without having a mass of distracting detail. The vertical of the head and neck on the left third is balanced by the vertical of the masts on the second right third (using a classical rile of thirds composition) The diagonal of the statue's eye line is married by the diagonal of the rigging (top right)
The wistful look ""in his face expresses the sadness and not being at sea. And you are right, this interpretation is entirely a construct of my imagination, but it is what makes the first picture work for me. But as I said, in my earlier post, each to his own.
Everything Changes

jemx99

Link Posted 28/02/2015 - 22:19
StephenHampshire wrote:
the second shot s just a picture of a statue, the first tells you something about mankind's connection with the oceans.

I agree - I like the 1st shot too. And to me the 3rd shot is just a snapshot of a statue.

McGregNi

Link Posted 28/02/2015 - 23:16
StephenHampshire wrote:
The original image has a strong gradation from dark (lower left) to light (upper right) The boats are obviously boats without having a mass of distracting detail. The vertical of the head and neck on the left third is balanced by the vertical of the masts on the second right third (using a classical rile of thirds composition) The diagonal of the statue's eye line is married by the diagonal of the rigging (top right)
The wistful look ""in his face expresses the sadness and not being at sea. And you are right, this interpretation is entirely a construct of my imagination, but it is what makes the first picture work for me. But as I said, in my earlier post, each to his own.

... and I'm seeing a portrait of a statue shot at in interesting angle, but marred by excessive contrast and shadow on the face and a very domimant, over-bright and complex OOF distraction behind to the right which just pulls the eye back and forward to no purpose !!!

K10D

Link Posted 01/03/2015 - 08:44
Expanding on the subject. The statue is one of two at the seamen's memorial, Fremantle.

The vertical columns are full of name plates engraved with the names of all of those men lost at sea from Fremantle.

I got there early today before the crowds arrived.

The full work

Maybe a subject that can have many facets that appeal in different ways to people.

I've seen shots of this with a sunset, cloudy sky in the background with fill flash, really good work by some one.

Best regards

McGregNi

Link Posted 01/03/2015 - 13:08
Great coverage of a most interesting spot ... Very interesting to see the wider context
... Still love the HSS one best though
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.