Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Images from MX-1

MrB
Posted 04/02/2014 - 22:23 Link
The MX-1 compact cameras were on a special deal last week at Amazon (£180 and free post) so I decided to get one. It arrived yesterday and I am very impressed and pleased with it. These are some of the first images that I snapped this afternoon at Apsley Lock - a marina and housing complex beside the Grand Union Canal. Hope the photos, and that they were taken with the MX-1, are of interest.

1. The marina is packed with narrow boats:
Comment Image

2. A narrow noat at its berth:
Comment Image

3. The housing extends alongside the canal:
Comment Image

4. Boats also moor along the canal at Apsley:
Comment Image

5. The bow of one of the narrowboats:
Comment Image

6. Some boats have their heating fuel stored on the roof:
Comment Image

7. The bridge in the background is the pedestrian route to the pub:
Comment Image

8. The local pub is on the former site of a paper company:
Comment Image

9. Baskets of flowers even in February:
Comment Image

10. The barrels outside the pub are used to support ashtrays:
Comment Image

Philip
johnriley
Posted 04/02/2014 - 22:38 Link
It's versatile and the quality is great. My MX-1 travels everywhere with me.

Nice images!
Best regards, John
Gravelrash
Posted 05/02/2014 - 00:43 Link
Just snagged the same deal and await delivery. Your pictures convince me I made a good decision. I'm sick of not having a good camera with me at extraordinary moments. Hopefully that will no longer be the case

Nicely done with the pics...cheers
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
MrB
Posted 05/02/2014 - 19:13 Link
John and Steve - thank you for viewing and for your positive comments.

Philip
judderman62
Posted 05/02/2014 - 22:39 Link
Nice shots sir
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
MrB
Posted 06/02/2014 - 13:38 Link
Thank you, Mike.

Philip
eenymac
Posted 06/02/2014 - 15:15 Link
Eeeeee... I remember when I were a lad, it was all John Dickinsons, as far as the eye could see!

Nice down there, especially for summer evening walks and sitting outside the pub. It's nice walk along that stretch to Winkwell and beyond.

Have the MX-1 as well and it's a great camera. I added a Flip-bac grip to mine and it adds a nice additional bit of purchase for one handed operation.
mcpieman
Posted 06/02/2014 - 15:34 Link
I too partook in the Amazon £180 offer, not had much chance to use it yet but judging by your images it was a good deal.

Quote:
I added a Flip-bac grip to mine and it adds a nice additional bit of purchase for one handed operation.

Have you got any details for the Flip-Bac grip you bought eenymac? I'd be quite keen to get one too.
Edited by mcpieman: 06/02/2014 - 15:35
eenymac
Posted 06/02/2014 - 15:50 Link
I got the Flipbac G1 grip, see link below:

http://flipbac.com/camera-grip-1-2-3-difference.htm
mcpieman
Posted 06/02/2014 - 16:24 Link
Quote:
I got the Flipbac G1 grip, see link below:

http://flipbac.com/camera-grip-1-2-3-difference.htm

Thanks eenymac, did you order it from them direct?
eenymac
Posted 06/02/2014 - 17:07 Link
Yep! Ordered from them direct and took a couple of weeks I think by snail mail from across the pond.

I also got the Kiwifotos lens adapter so I can use 58mm filters. Basically an aluminium tube, push fit and held in place with a couple of hex-head grub screws, then just screw in a filter.
I did get a short lens hood too but it vignettes at the wide-angle end.
Just need to add a protective cover on the rear screen now.

Comment Image
MrB
Posted 07/02/2014 - 00:57 Link
Thank you for your comment on the images Stephen, and thanks also to Ian for the info. on those useful extras for the MX-1.

Philip
McGregNi
Posted 07/02/2014 - 11:00 Link
Thats clearly a very useful little camera to have Philip! I can appreciate how it might encourage more picture taking - I imagine it makes the process all very painless.

I especially like your telephoto shots here - the perspectice compression works very well, and there is impressive shaarpness with no obvious camera shake - and I'm assuming you were hand-holding.

The wider ones with skys clearly exceed the dynamic range of the camera - but then the DR of any camera may have benn challenged here. Do you think the results would have been different with your DSLR?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
MrB
Posted 07/02/2014 - 11:48 Link
Thank you for your comments, Nigel.

My first impressions are that it really is a great camera of its type - bigger than other compacts but beautifully constructed and small enough to have with me all the time, so no excuses for not taking pictures in dry weather! It is easy to use, the tilting screen being a useful feature that I hope Ricoh-Pentax put on the next DSLR; however, as with other cameras without a viewfinder, it can be more difficult to compose shots in bright conditions.

The shots were all hand-held, and the combination of SR and shutter speed kept them sharp. You are right about DR - the conditions were rather unusual, most of the sky being bright, but with a cloud bank moving over the sun so it was not lighting up the ground. Perhaps the effect would have been better corrected had I thought to switch to the camera's HDR Mode, but my brain mode can be a bit slow to react properly nowadays!

If the rumours that the MX-1 is discontinued are true, then anyone thinking of getting one should go for an end-of-line bargain - it is a great value compact camera.

Philip
Gravelrash
Posted 07/02/2014 - 12:11 Link
I did mean to ask if you had used the ND Filter. No idea what that stands for but on video reviews appears to work like a polariser, or certainly gave that impression.

That first image appears to have turned out well considering the contrast challenge given to the camera, hence wondering about this ND thing
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.