Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Image usage

This topic has a poll - login to enter
SPB
Posted 09/07/2008 - 10:41 Link
I would like to get some opinions. When I did film or slides in the past, I either made slide shows or filled albums with printed images. Within the family we like both. I prefer slide shows.

So, I turned digital ages ago, and have a hard disk with loads of images.

Digital I find encourages one, because of lack of costs (processing in particular) to take more images.

So, is it worth to buy a DLP projector if one does not have a wide-screen TV and not likely to get one any time soon?

Or if one has a wide screen TV, one could buy AppleTV and be able to show the contents directly from iPhoto.

Can one use AppleTV without a wide-screen TV?

What does everyone think about this?
Gwyn
Posted 09/07/2008 - 10:54 Link
I can't really vote in your poll as I do a few things. Nor can I answer your questions. I haven't a clue what AppleTV is for instance

I print some photos. I also make albums of some using jalbum and put them on line for friends and family to look at if they so wish. I have made a couple of printed albums - of my sons weddings and of our grandson. I never was into slides or more accurately into slide shows so I would never think of showing my photos in that way at home.
SPB
Posted 09/07/2008 - 10:59 Link
Thanks for your comments, no problem, a vote is not necessary I wanted comments just as much. AppleTV is a box attached to the TV, which allows viewing of images in iPhoto. This is where I do some of my editing at least when nothing much has to be done. So for each shoot there is a gallery. Very convenient therefore to be able to play that back on a TV. However, it is my belief that to use it you MUST have a wide-screen digital TV, which I do not. Hence why I wonder whether a DLP projector would be a good idea.
Mike-P
Posted 09/07/2008 - 11:17 Link
I put all of my finished pictures on to the hard drive of my Xbox 1 which has been modified to play video, music and jpeg files. When anyone comes round I can just switch it on and show them (or should I say bore them to death) on the widescreen 42" lcd in hi definition.
Works very much like a appletv actually.
SPB
Posted 09/07/2008 - 11:21 Link
Seems like I have to eventually buy a widescreen TV.
George Lazarette
Posted 09/07/2008 - 11:31 Link
If you are going to run a poll, you need to provide a full set of options, not just the things that appeal to you.

Failing that, provide an "Other" option.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
SPB
Posted 09/07/2008 - 11:36 Link
Sorry, how does one alter a poll and include an OTHER option after creation of said poll?
Unlocker
Posted 09/07/2008 - 11:40 Link
Apple TV has Component video out as well as HDMI. As long as your display can handle one of those, it doesn't matter what it is, i.e. tv or projector no problem.

If you prefer a projector, then buy one and use it as a widescreen telly! We did when we had a bigger place than we do now, picture was measured at over 120 inches for a few hundred quid!

Thing to remember is, all you are doing is attaching a display. Just make sure the display can handle the signal. Easy peasy.
SPB
Posted 09/07/2008 - 11:47 Link
Unlocker wrote:
If you prefer a projector, then buy one and use it as a widescreen telly! We did when we had a bigger place than we do now, picture was measured at over 120 inches for a few hundred quid!

What format do you use for projecting? All seperate JPG or RAW or all images as a quicktime movie?
George Lazarette
Posted 09/07/2008 - 11:48 Link
SPB wrote:
Sorry, how does one alter a poll and include an OTHER option after creation of said poll?

I don't know, but as you have only had two replies so far, it wouldn't be a disaster to start a new one.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Unlocker
Posted 09/07/2008 - 12:18 Link
SPB wrote:

What format do you use for projecting?

Think you must be either thinking too much or getting confused! It's a video signal, that's it. (Please guys don't get uber technical here, just describing the basics!) If I was to ask you what format do you need to use to view photos on your computer monitor, you would probably have a confused look on your face!

The display, wether it is a computer monitor, projector, TV, Plasma screen etc etc, just displays the signal that it is given. This could be connected by component video, HDMI, DVI, or horror of horrors a SCART lead. Obviously the display has to be able to handle the signal it is given, i.e. a 20 year old telly, sure ain't gonna handle a 1080P HD signal!

SPB wrote:

All seperate JPG or RAW or all images as a quicktime movie?

JPG, RAW etc. etc. just doesn't matter for this purpose. The only thing that matters is wether the device that is producing the signal for your display, can handle whatever you are putting through it. E.g. A VHS player cannot show DVD's, iTunes doesn't handle WMV files etc.

Basically, if you can view it on your Mac screen, that's all you need to know. Just imagine replacing the screen you have for a projector, thats it, it's just a display.
SPB
Posted 09/07/2008 - 12:22 Link
Simple as that! Must be thinking too much! Or rather counting up how much money I need to spend. Thanks for all the comments. Makes interesting reading.
Don
Posted 09/07/2008 - 12:38 Link
I use an apple tv with my digital projector!
that way I can stream media from all my macs to the projector/stereo.

(waiting for an iphone/ipod touch application that works as a remote control!!! to be written)

much easier to do a presentation without having to set up the computer also.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Unlocker
Posted 09/07/2008 - 13:07 Link
That's what happens when you become a gadget freak!

Personally, I have always handled picture and sound seperately in the living room. We have a 40" HD telly, Denon amplifier and 7.1 surround sound using KEF speakers. That handles the picture & the sound, everything alse just plugs into it.

Connected to that lot at the moment are:-

SKY HD Box
PS3
XBox 360
Wii
DVD Player
Ipod dock
Laptop

Enough there to keep you going, but basically everything that you should need! (Might get an Apple TV soon too!) PS3 is used for watching DVD's upscaled, Bluray, games and also can be used to store and watch photos, video files, music etc as well as being able to use the internet, so You Tube, BBC iPlayer etc.etc. Xbox can also handle Photos, video & music and movie downloads. Wii for gaming, iPod dock can also handle video, so friends can come round and just drop their iPod / iPhone in, Laptop can be plugged in too, so anything that can handle. Oh yeah, the Sky box for watching telly! You can even watch the footy on Sky, whilst listening to the commentary on Radio Five Live if you wanted to. The picture source and the sound source can be totally different!

Not trying to show off there, but just trying to show that, for me at least, the display (like a DSLR) can quite easily be the disposable part of the system. Could very easily just take out the telly and put a projector screen in, the only thing to think about is getting a projector with all the connections you need, so just do a little bit of homework on that before you buy and you should have no problems!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.