If you could only keep one....
Posted 24/11/2011 - 21:47
Link
Well, up until yesterday I would have said either my vivitar or sigma manual macros, but ..... having received my first pentax prime a M 200mm f4 I would choose that now.
Posted 24/11/2011 - 22:22
Link
froeschle wrote:
Hmmm, there are lots of K, M(*), A(*), F(*), FA(*) alternatives. Why would anyone choose a mediocre DA or DA* solution? Just forget about everything, which starts with D...
1.read the questionHmmm, there are lots of K, M(*), A(*), F(*), FA(*) alternatives. Why would anyone choose a mediocre DA or DA* solution? Just forget about everything, which starts with D...
2.tell us which lens YOU would keep
Posted 24/11/2011 - 22:38
Link
My SMC Takumar 135mm F3.5, a humble little lens, but boy is it good! I love the challenge of manual operation with the lens and have had some spectacular results - I don't know if I'm lucky to own a particularly good copy but it's fab. Close second would be my 55-300mm and my Pentax-M 28mm F3.5, another manual focus gem of a lens.
Regards
David
Regards
David
Posted 25/11/2011 - 09:38
Link
Ouch this is difficult.
Between the 15Ltd (oh how I would hate to give up this lens), the Sigma 30/1.4, 43 Ltd or Sigma 50-150 I think.
From those I have now I think the Sigma 30/1.4 as it's incredibly sharp (so cropping is a joy and hardly impacts IQ) and a great all round lens. However I'm supposed to pick up a Contax Zeiss 35-70 next week and from all accounts it's Zeiss prime quality at every focal length so that may usurp the Sigma 30.
Between the 15Ltd (oh how I would hate to give up this lens), the Sigma 30/1.4, 43 Ltd or Sigma 50-150 I think.
From those I have now I think the Sigma 30/1.4 as it's incredibly sharp (so cropping is a joy and hardly impacts IQ) and a great all round lens. However I'm supposed to pick up a Contax Zeiss 35-70 next week and from all accounts it's Zeiss prime quality at every focal length so that may usurp the Sigma 30.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 25/11/2011 - 09:38
Link
Can I keep adapters etc?
If so I think it would be the FA43 which could be combined with extension tubes/a Raynox adapter for macro.
I would cry when I went on a wildlife holiday though...
If so I think it would be the FA43 which could be combined with extension tubes/a Raynox adapter for macro.
I would cry when I went on a wildlife holiday though...
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...
Posted 25/11/2011 - 09:40
Link
Gwyn wrote:
There is nothing wrong with DA lenses. Why would I want to put an ancient old lens onto a superb modern piece of machinery like the K-5?
It's like putting a Hillman Minx engine in a modern car, all looks, still works but doesn't make use of the full potential of the vehicle.
Ha ha - oh you are so wrong Gwyn !froeschle wrote:
Hmmm, there are lots of K, M(*), A(*), F(*), FA(*) alternatives. Why would anyone choose a mediocre DA or DA* solution? Just forget about everything, which starts with D...
Maybe because we don't own any of those. Hmmm, there are lots of K, M(*), A(*), F(*), FA(*) alternatives. Why would anyone choose a mediocre DA or DA* solution? Just forget about everything, which starts with D...
There is nothing wrong with DA lenses. Why would I want to put an ancient old lens onto a superb modern piece of machinery like the K-5?
It's like putting a Hillman Minx engine in a modern car, all looks, still works but doesn't make use of the full potential of the vehicle.
However so is Froeschle because there are some stunning DA* lenses (the 300mm is a fantastic lens and wins over the the F, FA and A* IMHO).
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 25/11/2011 - 10:41
Link
The DA40.
Teeny tiny thing of splendour and joy, a key pentax characteristic for me, and excellent IQ. I also like the FOV (although I know others don't) and just seem to produce a higher proportion of 'keepers' with this than other lenses.
Teeny tiny thing of splendour and joy, a key pentax characteristic for me, and excellent IQ. I also like the FOV (although I know others don't) and just seem to produce a higher proportion of 'keepers' with this than other lenses.
Posted 25/11/2011 - 17:27
Link
Close call between FA31Ltd for its versatility and M50/1.7 for its sharpness.
But I think I'd rather jump of that big wheel in London than parting of any of my lenses.
But I think I'd rather jump of that big wheel in London than parting of any of my lenses.
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)
Posted 25/11/2011 - 17:32
Link
Frogfish wrote:
Ha ha - oh you are so wrong Gwyn !
However so is Froeschle because there are some stunning DA* lenses (the 300mm is a fantastic lens and wins over the the F, FA and A* IMHO).
Tongue was firmly in cheek at the time Frogfish. Ha ha - oh you are so wrong Gwyn !
However so is Froeschle because there are some stunning DA* lenses (the 300mm is a fantastic lens and wins over the the F, FA and A* IMHO).
However modern lenses are designed for modern cameras and offer some of us things older lenses don't - SDM or it's equivalent, water resistance, even simple AF for those of us with less than 20/20 vision is a godsend.
Posted 25/11/2011 - 19:19
Link
Gwyn wrote:
However modern lenses are designed for modern cameras and offer some of us things older lenses don't - SDM or it's equivalent, water resistance, even simple AF for those of us with less than 20/20 vision is a godsend.
I knew that Gwyn - so was mine
Frogfish wrote:
Ha ha - oh you are so wrong Gwyn !
However so is Froeschle because there are some stunning DA* lenses (the 300mm is a fantastic lens and wins over the the F, FA and A* IMHO).
Tongue was firmly in cheek at the time Frogfish. Ha ha - oh you are so wrong Gwyn !
However so is Froeschle because there are some stunning DA* lenses (the 300mm is a fantastic lens and wins over the the F, FA and A* IMHO).
However modern lenses are designed for modern cameras and offer some of us things older lenses don't - SDM or it's equivalent, water resistance, even simple AF for those of us with less than 20/20 vision is a godsend.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 27/11/2011 - 20:29
Link
Too tough to call but either one of two DA (yes that is D rather than F, K, M etc) but probably the DA* 50-135mm F2.8 - a stunner of a lens and one lens I use most of the time. But it hurts me to not have the DA 35mm F2.4 or my FA 50 F1.4 with me too............
Now If I had any of the FA limiteds, then it may be a different matter......
Now If I had any of the FA limiteds, then it may be a different matter......
Some Cameras
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


10344 posts
20 years
The Netherlands
Hmmm, there are lots of K, M(*), A(*), F(*), FA(*) alternatives. Why would anyone choose a mediocre DA or DA* solution? Just forget about everything, which starts with D...
There is nothing wrong with DA lenses. Why would I want to put an ancient old lens onto a superb modern piece of machinery like the K-5?
It's like putting a Hillman Minx engine in a modern car, all looks, still works but doesn't make use of the full potential of the vehicle.