I don't do landscapes

Mike-P
Posted 16/08/2013 - 17:07 Link
I don't do landscapes, whenever I attempt one they just seem to look a bit on the amateurish side when I see everyone else's.
Anyway, was in Sturminster Newton on Wednesday and passed a water mill so stopped for a quick explore and took a couple of shots including this one which I was quite pleased with.

So now please feel free to pick it to bits, tell me what's right (if anything) and what's not ...

Comment Image
steven9761
Posted 16/08/2013 - 18:00 Link
Well... It's either a dead pixel, or a very small fly in the far distance of the horizon that needs to be cloned out, because it's so annoyingly obtrusive!!

Seriously though - I like it!! Perhaps given the overcast sky, the building is "overexposed"..??

If I find anything I don't like in this shot, don't worry - you'll be the first to know, Mike!!
bforbes
Posted 16/08/2013 - 18:08 Link
Am I being too picky, but how many people have been lead straight to the bright water between the two trees and missed that beautiful brickwork?
Gamka
Posted 16/08/2013 - 18:21 Link
You needed to be 4 metres to your right and 3 metres forward from the position you were in. Then rotate 15 degrees to the left to get a little more building.
Edited by Gamka: 16/08/2013 - 18:22
McGregNi
Posted 16/08/2013 - 18:48 Link
Its not too bad at all really . If the building is going to be part of though, then yes, it has to be more centrally placed somehow, and ideally we want to see the whole building - it looks odd being cut off I think.

But colour and texture wise its great - nice muted tones, well balanced exposure .....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Mike-P
Posted 16/08/2013 - 19:32 Link
Ok, thanks for the input.

So would you say this was a better view/angle?

Comment Image
McGregNi
Posted 16/08/2013 - 20:52 Link
hmmm, not really for me. I think the main problem with both composition-wise is that you're splitting the scene in the middle - building on the left then receeding view on the right. The two don't quite 'gel' IMO. Much better to try and get the building across more of the frame, not just on one side - worth a try I guess
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 16/08/2013 - 20:53
Smeggypants
Posted 16/08/2013 - 21:13 Link
Both of them look fine to me.

All you need now is a dirty great "© MIKE-P PHOTOGRAPHY 2013" splattered all over them ...


Comment Image
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
McGregNi
Posted 16/08/2013 - 21:20 Link
Thats right, that'll make them look real pro! But come on Smeggy, have you forgotton your composition rulebook?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
dcweather
Posted 16/08/2013 - 21:26 Link
I thought I'd posted the original Mike! That's how I am with landscapes. I can't seem to get that extra something like some of the others on here.
Anyway, I like the first one the best and I agree a little cropped off the bottom will help. I wondered about flipping horizontally so the eye leads into the building?
Father Ted
Posted 16/08/2013 - 21:33 Link
bforbes wrote:
Am I being too picky, but how many people have been lead straight to the bright water between the two trees and missed that beautiful brickwork?
Me
I prefer the second one as the wall leads me to the buildings first.
Although it does seem to be two pictures; the building and the lake.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
1stEverPentax
Posted 16/08/2013 - 22:07 Link
I find landscapes to be very subjective. Four people viewing a landscape could come out with four different opinions on it. Unless you are looking to sell them then whatever works for you is 'right'.

Having said that, I much prefer your first shot to your second as i think the end of the building in No.2 is a bit too much 'in yer face' and the rest of the image doesn't really have much to compensate with. I also like 'cut-off' buildings and things to the side of the scene...they don't have to be complete for me although i know many people would disagree.

I suppose ultimately its down to what interests you and lots of practice..which you can do with digital!

Karlo
Smeggypants
Posted 17/08/2013 - 00:45 Link
McGregNi wrote:
Thats right, that'll make them look real pro! But come on Smeggy, have you forgotton your composition rulebook?
'Rulebook' ?


LOL
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Opethian
Posted 17/08/2013 - 00:55 Link
Far from an expert, but the white balance doesn't seem right for me. But that's only because you asked! Otherwise a very picturesque photograph!
jules
Posted 17/08/2013 - 09:11 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
Both of them look fine to me.

All you need now is a dirty great "© MIKE-P PHOTOGRAPHY 2013" splattered all over them ...


Comment Image


Looking at the second shot I think it may well not have been possible to get "ideal!" landscape compositions without ending up in the drink!
Given that, I think the first is fine and the white balance adds to that old mill feel..

You do, do landscape Mike!
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo