Hugin panorama stitching software - anyone else use it?


Dangermouse

Link Posted 03/02/2011 - 13:45
Anyone else using this excellent bit of free software? Can be downloaded here for Linux/Mac/Windows

Effectively this allows you to carry fewer lenses. Your 35mm prime can now produce huge sweeping landscapes when you take multiple shots and stitch them together at home, although it works best if you have a tripod to make sure the camera doesn't move other than panning between exposures.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

MrCynical

Link Posted 03/02/2011 - 14:18
Dangermouse wrote:
Your 35mm prime can now produce huge sweeping landscapes when you take multiple shots and stitch them together at home, although it works best if you have a tripod to make sure the camera doesn't move other than panning between exposures.

Might be me living up to my username, but most tripods are a lot bulkier and heavier than my Sigma 10-20

EwanBellamy

Link Posted 03/02/2011 - 14:36
Yeah, I use it occasionally. Once you've learnt to use it it's really useful. I have never used a tripod for panoramas and they usually come out fine.
Example
My Flickr

Cuchulainn

Link Posted 03/02/2011 - 14:52
Yeah, it's an excellent bit of software. Also good for HDR processing.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 03/02/2011 - 15:38
Might just be me then - I find I get variable results hand-held (sometimes great, sometimes hopeless) but they always seem good with a tripod. It's all to do with holding everything steady while panning between shots.

The other advantage of doing it this way is that you don't have as much distortion as you get from an ultra wide angle lens, even when shooting subjects which would show it up.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

marklj

Link Posted 03/02/2011 - 18:00
Just tried it and like it. I already have PTGui and it seems very similar. I've got a few big stitches from the tops of various points in the Lake District so I'll have a longer go with it later. I prefer panos with the 50mm to be honest but only maybe carry three lenses when walking - Most decent walks my mate tends to carry the tripod in exchange for 2 points of guinness so no hassle weight wise.
My Pics

Dangermouse

Link Posted 04/02/2011 - 22:22
Cuchulainn wrote:
Yeah, it's an excellent bit of software. Also good for HDR processing.

How do you do that with it? I haven't pressed all the buttons as I've worked out how to do what I want so far (stitch panoramas), but if it can do HDR as well I'll have a go.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Frogfish

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 03:53
marklj wrote:
Just tried it and like it. I already have PTGui and it seems very similar. I've got a few big stitches from the tops of various points in the Lake District so I'll have a longer go with it later. I prefer panos with the 50mm to be honest but only maybe carry three lenses when walking - Most decent walks my mate tends to carry the tripod in exchange for 2 points of guinness so no hassle weight wise.

They have sherpas in the Lake District now ?
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

Cuchulainn

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 17:57
Dangermouse wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
Yeah, it's an excellent bit of software. Also good for HDR processing.

How do you do that with it? I haven't pressed all the buttons as I've worked out how to do what I want so far (stitch panoramas), but if it can do HDR as well I'll have a go.

There's a good tutorial pdf here:
http://www.lightspacewater.net/Tutorials/OSP/enfuse/paper.pdf

Advantage of hugin is that it can also align images for the HDR stage, so you can get acceptable hdr shots handheld. Naturally a tripod is always best!

One example I did (handheld) is here:
http://www.brianpatton.ie/images/20100916113440_hrdrect_blended_fused.jpg?PHPSES...

Dangermouse

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 19:20
Thanks - bookmarked! I'll have a play sometime when the weather is a bit less rubbish.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

SteveEveritt

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 19:56
If you want a simple no nonsense panorama stitching software for free you really ought to try Microsoft ICE. Simply drop your images into its open window and off it goes... what could be simpler.
My Flickr link

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)

marklj

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 22:19
Frogfish wrote:

They have sherpas in the Lake District now ?

Aye - was going to say poorly paid ones but guinness costs a bloody fortune in Buttermere and the Langdales.
My Pics

karcoos

Link Posted 18/04/2011 - 09:40
Hugin is free, you can easily find it on google. But, here is what im really gonna say, free doesn't mean the best. I heard AcroPano Panorama software from "photo forum". I am not saying its the best one, but it works so well for me. Choose whatever fits you best.

here is the link
http://www.acropano.com http://hugin.sourceforge.net

Algernon

Link Posted 18/04/2011 - 09:53
From what I remember Hugin is a front end for the freeware commandline Panaorama Tools and PT Lens was originally developed for use with Panaorama Tools.

AcroPano costs $99
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.