How to get more views on flickr.com?

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 19/05/2012 - 17:52
I'd like more views on flickr... Feedback would be good too...

I know the answer is to add to more groups but with the sheer amount of groups on there I stuggle to work out which ones are worth posting to and which aren't...

I usually post to Pentax-related groups but quite often get more response on this forum, although that too is sporadic...

Any tips or flickr-groups I should pay attention to?
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

puma

Link Posted 19/05/2012 - 18:15
The idea of showing your photos in public places is to get Feedback! You have to forget flickr its more I like yours so you should like mine? If you’re looking for Feedback then ask for it. You will get Comments like this: “Very good! Well Done! Super! Cool! “Etc. is worse for you, because they are focused on your ego not on your photos.
Very few people can write good comments like: “I like this because ….. It is not well composed because Evaluation of feedback is a difficult thing, especially if comments are not coincides with your opinion, Comments should help you make your future pictures better. So I Think if you post photos on any forum you should ask for constructive aimed to help you. . I hope that does help.

Thanks Shaun

stub

Link Posted 19/05/2012 - 18:23
Most people will only comment on the images they really like. As negative type comments will annoy the poster. I think it would also help in your quest for feedback. If indeed you add a small amount of narrative, about your image and what you were trying to achieve.

matwhittington

Link Posted 19/05/2012 - 19:22
You might get more views (and maybe therefore more comments) if you add lots of tags to your pictures; that way perhaps the pic gets picked up more in searches; also you'll probably get more if you have more contacts, as then some of your new uploads will appear in their homepage. But in general I agree with Shaun and Stub. I find that the number of views of my pics goes up a lot (normally about 50-fold) if/when someone (almost always my sister) links to one of my pictures through facebook or similar... but she's much more tech-savvy than I am and has LOADS of contacts on her various social media sites.

annieogg

Link Posted 19/05/2012 - 20:14
I'm not very good at leaving comments because I feel I'm not good/experieced enough to comment on other peoples work and often I like something but can't express why and on the other hand I might find something in an image distracting or off and yet again cant express why, so I dont often comment.
Have added you to my contacts on flickr though Dave.
All roads roam to Leeds
linklink

Pentax K-5 18-55mm Tamron 70-300mm
Pentax 35mm
a few filters Manfrotto tripod and monopod Silk tripod and a bumbling approach on how to use them

Whizzkiddwill

Link Posted 20/05/2012 - 08:12
I've put a few photo's up in here and had some good comments and feedback. I inspires me to look differently and maybe try again or try to improve. I'm just a beginner so the is helpful. I have also left comments for others but mostly to say that I like the image as I don't feel confident to criticise with not knowing much myself. As people are individuals and have individual taste if I don't get feedback, I still liked my photo enough to share it. I don't have enough to fill a flickr page so wouldn't use it for now.

Will

ChrisR

Link Posted 20/05/2012 - 09:10
In answer to your poll.

I don’t use Flicker, as I can't understand the site, far to complicated for my little brain.

Having said that, its not just Flicker, that’s a complete mystery to me, most sites are, including this one to some extent.

Take care.

nass

Link Posted 20/05/2012 - 10:04
You tend to get better feedback on forums than you do on Flickr although you can use views and favourites as a gauge. Ie if I get a lot of views and a lot of people favouriting a particular photo I know it's probably ok. In terms of more views, seek out and get to know other like minded people on there. As in if you're a *obscureSubject* nut do searches to see who is posting a lot of *obscureSubject* photos and engage with them. Also, do some QC. Post good photos, don't bother with mediocre.

Here is my stream
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Last Edited by nass on 20/05/2012 - 10:11

cabstar

Link Posted 20/05/2012 - 10:27
To get more views on flickr or you must use metadata particularly title and description. You must also keyword. It amazes me on Flickr how many times o see title dsc00000 how can you hope to get views without description??? Once you have uploaded to Flickr with all the metadata and keywording in then you can tweet and share on Facebook straight from Flickr.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Last Edited by cabstar on 20/05/2012 - 10:28

Smeggypants

Link Posted 20/05/2012 - 13:28
try 500px.com or 1x.com

Both better than Flickr IMO
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Stuey

Link Posted 20/05/2012 - 14:46
Take pictures of naked women

That seems to up the view count
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

nass

Link Posted 20/05/2012 - 15:24
Stuey wrote:

hahaha, so true
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

timbo

Link Posted 20/05/2012 - 16:57
Stuey wrote:

It doesn't I'm afraid

But then again I don't join any groups. I find the feedback on this forum much more useful.

cabstar

Link Posted 20/05/2012 - 18:35
Naked ladies followed by this weeks in favour teenage heart throb. I did a quick portrait session with some guy called Connor Maynard at the beginning of April, hits where amazing. Still getting around 200 a day on those shots... All from lovely google searches. Thanks to keywording and metadata...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Blythman

Link Posted 20/05/2012 - 18:42
Simplest way would be to add photos to those groups which say "post one, comment on four". They usually have a logo that you copy and paste when commenting. What a waste of time.

Best way is to get involved with like minded people. Either in person or in flickr groups. Critical comments are rarely expressed. So if you receive a comment saying "Nice shot" don't take it as fact. However, when people you come to respect over time suggest one of your pics is top quality, then maybe it is.
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.