How to avoid back-focus problem when focus-recompose?

pengbai

Link Posted 12/10/2010 - 17:27
Hi guys

I just realized when you are using a telephoto lens to shoot a portrait, 'AF first and then recompose' brings a back-focus problem. Could you explain how I can lessen the 'out of focus' effect? MF?- -!

Thank you.
Peng

MrCynical

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 14:05
MF is the answer I'm afraid, either that or put the feature in question (eyes or whatever) directly on one of the AF points.

johnriley

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 16:24
With DA lenses the answer is to AF and then tweak the focus manually using the Quick Shift feature. No need to change to MF to do this. The exception within the range will be the 18-250mm and the DA-L lenses.
Best regards, John

pentaxian450

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 16:33
If your AF is accurate, you shouldn't have a back focus problem when you focus and recompose. Your AF might need to be adjusted. If your camera pre-dates the K20D, or any model that doesn't have a focus adjustment, you should send it with the lenses to Pentax to have it re-calibrated.

On the other hand, if your AF is up to spec, maybe your technic is not.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Smeggypants

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 20:53
pentaxian450 wrote:
If your AF is accurate, you shouldn't have a back focus problem when you focus and recompose. Your AF might need to be adjusted. If your camera pre-dates the K20D, or any model that doesn't have a focus adjustment, you should send it with the lenses to Pentax to have it re-calibrated.

You don't have to send it back to Pentax. You can enter debug mode and calibrate the focus yourself

http://www.pentax-hack.info/documents/debug.html

with the modset file on your SD Card root switch the camera on with the card door open to enter the debug menu. Once the debug mode is enabled he AF calibration appears as an extra parameter in the regular set up menu.

The AF calibration you set will remain in force even when you leave debug mode. For pre-K20D cameras it applies to ALL lenses. I leave my K10D permantenly in debug mode so I can alter AF cal everytime I switch to certain lenses.

Hope that helps
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Anvh

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 20:56
pentaxian450 wrote:
If your AF is accurate, you shouldn't have a back focus problem when you focus and recompose.

That's not true i'm afraid, unless the DOF of your lens isn't flat... telephoto fisheye maybe?

Here is an image of the problem to make it clearer.

If you've an AF with multiple focus points you can also of course use the correct focus point or can't you do that?
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

myles

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 23:42
Does it help to use the menu option to disable focussing on half-press of shutter release and use the AF button to focus on the subject? You can then re-compose without the camera trying to focus again.

Just a thought

Myles

johnriley

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 23:48
The camera won't refocus if you keep the half pressure on the shutter release.
Best regards, John

pentaxian450

Link Posted 14/10/2010 - 00:10
Anvh wrote:
pentaxian450 wrote:
If your AF is accurate, you shouldn't have a back focus problem when you focus and recompose.

That's not true i'm afraid, unless the DOF of your lens isn't flat... telephoto fisheye maybe?

Here is an image of the problem to make it clearer.

If you've an AF with multiple focus points you can also of course use the correct focus point or can't you do that?

99% of the time, the error is going to be so small, it won't be noticeeable.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Anvh

Link Posted 14/10/2010 - 19:48
pentaxian450 wrote:
99% of the time, the error is going to be so small, it won't be noticeable.

That depends on so many things i don't want to say a percentage.
I do agree with you that the error is small most of the time but if you've only millimetres of playing room that small error will be noticeable.
Just try to recompose with macro photography or portrait with a very fast lens that gives a very small dof.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

ChrisA

Link Posted 14/10/2010 - 23:15
Anvh wrote:
Just try to recompose with macro photography or portrait with a very fast lens that gives a very small dof.

Or indeed, with extreme wide angle lenses.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

Father Ted

Link Posted 30/01/2013 - 10:42
Smeggypants wrote:
pentaxian450 wrote:

You don't have to send it back to Pentax. You can enter debug mode and calibrate the focus yourself

http://www.pentax-hack.info/documents/debug.html

with the modset file on your SD Card root switch the camera on with the card door open to enter the debug menu. Once the debug mode is enabled he AF calibration appears as an extra parameter in the regular set up menu.

The AF calibration you set will remain in force even when you leave debug mode. For pre-K20D cameras it applies to ALL lenses. I leave my K10D permantenly in debug mode so I can alter AF cal everytime I switch to certain lenses.

Hope that helps

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'd like some more info on this please.

My K10 which ( admittedly) has been dropped, has an occassional focusing problem...or does it?

I have to use lenses with an A ring, but I can live with that. The main lens I use is an SMC Pentax - F 28-80mm. I find that many times the AF can't find focus with the lens all the way out at 28mm. I have to zoom i slightly, re-focus, then zoom out and set my aperture to give a slightly longer DoF to cover the fact that the focus point has now moved.
Is this a known problem with this lens, or is my camera at fault.

It's not a major issue, but can be a little frustrating at times. If it is as simple as calibrating the AF, then I'm willing to give it a go.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.