How sharp is that 150-450mm


mille19

Link Posted 08/09/2015 - 21:58
I still can't believe how sharp this lens is. I finally had chance to try it out on a tripod in decent light.

1. 270mm F4.5 ISO100 1/500th sec



100% Crop



2.180mm F5.6 ISO100 1/400th sec



100% Crop

Daronl

Link Posted 08/09/2015 - 22:28
i have the same view, mine never ceases to amaze.

Regards,
Daronl
Last Edited by Daronl on 08/09/2015 - 22:28

Daronl

Link Posted 09/09/2015 - 15:47
Tried to post some some examples showing the sharpness of the HD 150-450 but could not insert them in the post so they are posted in the gallery

I think it is fair to say this in one sharp lens.

Regards

Daron


Daronl wrote:
i have the same view, mine never ceases to amaze.

Regards,


Daronl

LennyBloke

Link Posted 09/09/2015 - 15:51
Daronl wrote:
Tried to post some some examples showing the sharpness of the HD 150-450 but could not insert them in the post so they are posted in the gallery

I think it is fair to say this in one sharp lens.

Regards

Daron


Daronl wrote:
i have the same view, mine never ceases to amaze.

Regards,


Any PP sharpening on those, or just out of camera?
LennyBloke

RobL

Link Posted 09/09/2015 - 17:27
I am mightily impressed by the enthusiastic responses from those lucky enough to own this lens so in the light of this I took a somewhat cynical view of an article in this month's Digital Camera (yeah I know, but I wanted something to read on the train), being a comparison of 8 FF-compatible super-telephotos incl. the Pentax 150-450mm. "performance mostly impressive.....autofocus speed is sluggish compared with other lenses in the group, and sharpness could be better." Depends what bodies they were tested on of course and the Pentax was possibly even tested on a 35mm as this was referred to in the final summary. Also, the Pentax uses a DC motor whereas all the others have an ultrasonic ring - does that make a difference? All the others have image stabilization but there was no mention that Pentax bodies have this built-in.

Seeing as this lens is designed specifically for the FF body it will be interesting to see how it performs when that's out.

mille19

Link Posted 09/09/2015 - 20:19
RobL wrote:
I am mightily impressed by the enthusiastic responses from those lucky enough to own this lens so in the light of this I took a somewhat cynical view of an article in this month's Digital Camera (yeah I know, but I wanted something to read on the train), being a comparison of 8 FF-compatible super-telephotos incl. the Pentax 150-450mm. "performance mostly impressive.....autofocus speed is sluggish compared with other lenses in the group, and sharpness could be better." Depends what bodies they were tested on of course and the Pentax was possibly even tested on a 35mm as this was referred to in the final summary. Also, the Pentax uses a DC motor whereas all the others have an ultrasonic ring - does that make a difference? All the others have image stabilization but there was no mention that Pentax bodies have this built-in.

Seeing as this lens is designed specifically for the FF body it will be interesting to see how it performs when that's out.

Autofocus speed sluggish ? I have the Sigma 70-200mm HSM and would say the 150-450mm is as fast as that, I don't take a lot of notice of magazine reviews I take more notice of what 'real user' of the lens say. I already had rugby photos published that were taken with this lens, hows fast does it have to be ??

If I took any notice of reviews for the DA 18-135mm I would never have bought it, but after so many users giving good reports I bought the lens and was glad I did

Daronl

Link Posted 09/09/2015 - 21:20
The photos are as taken, no sharpening, the lens quite stunning as most everything I have taken so far have exhibited sharpness as good as prime lenses and arguably better in some cases than the DA* 300 and DA* 200.

Regards



LennyBloke wrote:
Daronl wrote:
Tried to post some some examples showing the sharpness of the HD 150-450 but could not insert them in the post so they are posted in the gallery

I think it is fair to say this in one sharp lens.

Regards

Daron


Quote:
i have the same view, mine never ceases to amaze.

Regards,


Any PP sharpening on those, or just out of camera?

LennyBloke wrote:
Daronl wrote:
Tried to post some some examples showing the sharpness of the HD 150-450 but could not insert them in the post so they are posted in the gallery

I think it is fair to say this in one sharp lens.

Regards

Daron


Quote:
i have the same view, mine never ceases to amaze.

Regards,


Any PP sharpening on those, or just out of camera?


Daronl

Stoupaduck

Link Posted 20/09/2015 - 13:59
Must admit I'm pretty pleased with this lens too - only thing that has bothered me is quite a bit of chromatic aberration in high contrast situations at 450mm, but I guess quite a few similar lenses would also suffer that way?

Despite the many criticisms of continuous AF, it is possible to get some decent shot of fast moving objects (mind you I did have to throw a fair few away!)


K3;K5;DA*16-50mm;DFA 100mm WR Macro;F4 DA*300mm;DA*60-250mm F4; Sigma 150-500mm; Mecablitz 58 AF-2;K1000/M50mm f2.

ajax

Link Posted 03/10/2015 - 19:00
I doubt you could better them pictures with any other lens, the squirrel looks that sharp you could shave with it,at the moment i will have to stick to my F4DA 300mm

beakynet

Link Posted 05/10/2015 - 13:31
I have been resisting putting this lens on my wanted list as I have the Sigma 120-400 (and it's full frame) that performs well enough for my needs, however, this lens is looking more and more like a significant upgrade!
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon

Conqueror

Link Posted 05/10/2015 - 16:38
the samples here show this is insanely good IMO

the only thing is the bulk
K-3ii
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.