How accurate is your k10's exposure system?

Don

Link Posted 16/07/2007 - 05:31
This is a tough question, and believe it or not, a pro may be the last one to notice!
I mentioned in a previous thread, that I'd be putting the k10 through some tough lighting situations this past weekend, and low and behold, I have more questions that will require some serious testing to find out what's going on.

I got more proper exposures with the ds2, and canon g5 than the k10. (using flash on av, m, and p modes.).

Part of the explanation goes to the habits of the photographer (Gerri, uses automation more so than I. since the k10 was used mostly by Gerri, that would be one factor. (but aren't the ones who use the automated features the reason the auto modes exist?).

My use of grey cards, flash meters and manual modes would say the camera's functioning properly as far as apertures and shutters and capturing is concerned, but the flash and program shots seemed a little more "All over the board" than I expected.

a walk through the park with the camera on green and on p confirmed it....both the canon g5 and the ds2 were more consistantly aacurrate.....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

MattMatic

Link Posted 16/07/2007 - 09:22
Just to add to the melting pot...

One thing that's often overlooked when discussing exposure errors is the white balance setting. A variation in WB can skew the histograms all over the place and affect the judgment of exposure.

There is also the question in my mind as to the spectrum sensitivity used for the metering - for example, whether it's sensitive to IR or UV - and whether the metering "sees" more light in these regions which the sensor does not.

And finally... the focus screen. I think I might try swapping the *ist-D focus screen onto the K10D and check out what difference that makes (apparently it makes a big difference for the manual metering, so maybe it affects the other metering modes too??)

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Tyr

Link Posted 16/07/2007 - 10:42
Consistently 1 stop underexposed on mine, which makes it very easy to correct for in manual mode. Green mode and P seems fine on a bright day, I only know because I lent the camera to my dad.

Mine spends most of its time on M, sometimes P when I really need to be quick (people are so impatient nowadays).
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

myrdinn

Link Posted 16/07/2007 - 21:49
Very often the pics I make with my K10D, are a bit overexposed. (I always make pics in the tv-modus). As I know this I underexpose m pics half a stop, and then I finalize them with Pextax lab. That works fine.
I also have the impression that the WB has some influence. Very often the pics that are to blue, look better exposed than pics that are to red or yellow.

Don

Link Posted 17/07/2007 - 03:36
perhaps user error contributed to my earlier problems....
custom function was set to link AF point to AE.....
AF point set to center.....

at some point during all my testing, I must've forgotton to turn that off....

That would certianly explain the exposure problems I encountered....will try to shoot some tests tomorow to confirm.....

while it is easy enough to overlook a detial like that when you're running six cameras at an important function. There's NO F##$%% EXCUSE!!!.....
DOH!!!!

javascript:emoticon('')

Tyr

Link Posted 17/07/2007 - 08:26
Don wrote:
perhaps user error contributed to my earlier problems....
custom function was set to link AF point to AE.....
AF point set to center.....

at some point during all my testing, I must've forgotton to turn that off....

That would certianly explain the exposure problems I encountered....will try to shoot some tests tomorow to confirm.....

while it is easy enough to overlook a detial like that when you're running six cameras at an important function. There's NO F##$%% EXCUSE!!!.....
DOH!!!!

javascript:emoticon('')

I generally have it linked to AF point, not always the best strategy as it is looking for something 'neutral'.

The main reason I think it is consistently under by one stop is user error on selecting metering type.

I think I'd also do a lot better with a gray card (or just an exposure meter).
Regards,
Dan

Don

Link Posted 17/07/2007 - 13:57
Hence the reason a pro would not likely notice, I do use grey cards and a flashmeter....

However Gerri does not. I'm more the sniper type, prefering one perfect shot. Gerri is more the marine type prefering to blast away furiously with an automattic weapon.

At the end of the day, we both wind up with about the same amount of good shots....so you can't argue with the results...even if I do sometimes grumble about the amout of images I have to wade through.....(Apertures auto stack feature is GOD's gift to photographers!).

Me using her camera for some studio shots, then leaving the settings in such a manor that it interfered with her, doing her thing, her way, was incredibly thoughtless on my part.

but I intend to shoot some side by sides today with several cameras to see if the problem is sorted!

Tyr

Link Posted 17/07/2007 - 14:03
Don wrote:
However Gerri does not. I'm more the sniper type, prefering one perfect shot. Gerri is more the marine type prefering to blast away furiously with an automattic weapon.

US Marine then (hope there is no friendly fire), British Commandos (Marines) are very fast accurate and deadly.

I think once I am fully used to the exposure metering system I'll know how it behaves. Also need to get used to switching metering modes, I sometimes forget.
Regards,
Dan

Don

Link Posted 17/07/2007 - 14:16
beleive me Gerri can get the job done....she has a very good eye, for capturing intimate candids, that our clients love. She isn't very technical, but is people oriented, and does her thing very well if the equipment doesn't get in her way....

The job got done and done well, my main concern was I had expected the k10 to outperfom the other three digtal still cameras, and it didn't.

I think I now know why.
still got plenty of good shots, but also a few more exposure adjustments in post than I'd like to have to deal with.

stevejcoe

Link Posted 17/07/2007 - 14:54
Don, it would be good see some of your side by side comparison shots when they are available

Ammonyte

Link Posted 17/07/2007 - 22:06
Tyr wrote:
British Commandos (Marines) are very fast accurate and deadly.

The British have to be accurate as we don't have enough ammunition to go round.

Not funny, just sad and true.

I have "friends" in Aldershot, and well, one of them won't be coming back
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.