Holy Moly

DrOrloff

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 00:36
I need to rationalise my lens collection due to some new arrivals competing for bag space so I'm giving each a good workout before deciding its future. Filthy weather today, rain and wind made it difficult, and I was photographing any old thing but nonetheless I was rather taken with some of these results. It seems to be one of those lenses that can get something out of nothing and can give you that 3dish effect reserved for lenses sprinkled with pixie dust. All wide open or a stop down:

I'll give it a proper workout in more favourable conditions. I wonder if anyone recognises the look of the lens or would hazard a guess as to its identity. Or indeed thinks it's not as good as I do. The dog is not as cute as he looks, in fact a right pita.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 07:43
No idea which lens is being used, Doc, but its effect is lovely.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Mannesty

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 08:13
Given those results, it's not a lens I would part with, whatever it is .
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

AndrewH

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 09:56
I would say that you clearly need to dispose of this one...in my direction

Great shots btw
flickr

Northgrain

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 14:16
We await the great reveal. What's the lens

Of course, the photographer's skills no doubt help. Maybe you'll end up finding out you want to keep all your lenses

Tim

ps. Particularly cute Spaniel!
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

DrOrloff

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 16:45
It's the SMC Takumar 55mm 1.8 M42, circa 1972.

Not much point selling it as it's only worth 20. Built like a tank, very smooth to focus. Forty years old and it looks brand new. Seems to be on the cool side colours wise, but that's my preference anyway. Just got to work out how to best utilise its character now. It's been sitting unused for the last two years.

darkskies

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 16:57
Not half bad!
This space deliberately left blank.

Galoot

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 18:45
I'll be the first then, 25 take it or leave it !!!

I suspect you will, "leave it ", after these images

A keeper I think. Great stuff !!!!!

John
link

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 19:02
SMC Tak 55mm F1.8? Don't for heavens sake get rid of it, it is one of the greats! Mind you, get rid, it's horrible, I will take it off your hands......

Seriously though, I cannot understand why these lenses go for so cheap? Maybe people are put off the M42 screw mount, because optically they are really one of the great Takumars, period!
I have the first of the K-mount versions of this lens, same optics, but with the bayonet, and I am always surprised how seriously good it is when I put it on my DSLR's. Currently it is sat on my MZ-5n at the moment, which makes a cracking combination.

A vastly underated lens IMHO.
Some Cameras

AndrewH

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 20:10
Think the second-hand value of these lenses just increased a tad
flickr

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 23:41
DrOrloff wrote:
It's the SMC Takumar 55mm 1.8 M42, circa 1972.

This is the lens I have paired up with my Spottie... Mine is in lovely nic too...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

johnha

Link Posted 22/04/2012 - 00:12
I've recently acquired several Super/SMC taks, they're all in excellent condition. I can only conclude they were treated with great care in an era when throwing things away (or replacing them at the drop of a hat) wasn't an option. An era where owning a camera (with metering - possibly not open aperture metering!) and three prime lenses was probably the most many photographers could afford.
PPG Flickr

K10D

Link Posted 22/04/2012 - 01:08
Good work. N0. 5 stands out from the bunch for me. Well photographed.

p.s. I like the Ken Rockwell thread title.

Best regards
Last Edited by K10D on 22/04/2012 - 01:10

DrOrloff

Link Posted 22/04/2012 - 15:05
Offertonhatter wrote:
SMC Tak 55mm F1.8? Don't for heavens sake get rid of it, it is one of the greats! Mind you, get rid, it's horrible, I will take it off your hands......

Seriously though, I cannot understand why these lenses go for so cheap? Maybe people are put off the M42 screw mount, because optically they are really one of the great Takumars, period!
I have the first of the K-mount versions of this lens, same optics, but with the bayonet, and I am always surprised how seriously good it is when I put it on my DSLR's. Currently it is sat on my MZ-5n at the moment, which makes a cracking combination.

A vastly underated lens IMHO.

Obviously very common but I can't find many photos. There aren't many on the flickr Pentax SMC lens tag required group and only 26 in the PPG (that number will increase soon). Maybe it's not paired with a digital camera much. A few more, the first three wide open the last at f8 or 11, can't remember which:

Massive crop (I wasn't even focused on the tree it was just a rough bit of hyperfocal guesswork):

All handheld. The portrait of my daughter was very unpromising, dingy conditions and a very close background of brambles and scrub, but it has come out with some 'pop'. The fern was very dark too and not far off the ground. I'm not saying these are particularly good shots but initial results are hugely promising, definitely worth sticking on a tripod. I might see how this lens performs head to head with FA Ltds and the DA*50-135.

20, unbelievable.
Last Edited by DrOrloff on 22/04/2012 - 15:08

darkskies

Link Posted 22/04/2012 - 15:39
I'm going to get one!
This space deliberately left blank.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.