Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Hockey shots

Mongoose
Posted 14/05/2007 - 17:36 Link
I mentioned these over in the lenses forum, thought perhaps people might like to see them.

The Stadium people didn't mind us taking photos but didn't like our long tele lenses, so I mounted my secret weapon. The Tamron 90mm F2.5 macro, which they seemed to be just about happy with (and so they should be, they weren't hassling people with compacts some of which were packing a lot more than 90mm).

Little did they suspect the shear cropping potential of the K10D when combined with this battered old gem of a lens.

This shot was taken at 1/90th, ~F4 and ISO 400. It is a crop measuring ~1650x1100 (1.8MP) which I then blew up to 3000x2070 using the cubic scaling mode in GIMP. It has also had a little bit of GIMP USM and Noisninja dealt with the noise. This one is my favourite shot from the evening.

Comment Image

The second one is really pushing the limits of what is possible, but I like it anyway and I still reckon it will print at 5x7. Taken at 1/125th and ~F4, ISO 400 this is a central crop at ~1250x833, just over 1MP. This time blown up to 2255x1515 with GIMP set to cubic, and again given some USM.

Comment Image

I enjoy sports photography but unfortunately don't get to do it very often, so any tips welcome.
George Lazarette
Posted 14/05/2007 - 17:49 Link
Hats off to Tamron, Gimp, K10D, Noise Ninja, and, of course, the man who pressed the shutter button.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Classvino
Posted 14/05/2007 - 18:10 Link
You did very well - I never got the hang of hockey photos - the big expanse of white ice always seemed to blow out my exposure... Colours showed up well in your pics...

Jerseys had me stumped until I realized it might not be NHL... AHL? ECHL?
--------------
MZ-6,K10D,K20D,Grip,DA*Zooms,DA 18-55-200 Kit,FA50,1.7TC,AFZ360
For Saleentax FA28-90,FA100-300,Sigma EX28-80,DC18-200,
Makinon 500mm Mirror
Mongoose
Posted 14/05/2007 - 18:39 Link
thanks guys K10D makes it easy TBH, the first few shots were made somewhat difficult by the ice, but with it being indoors once I did find the right setting it just stayed there on M mode the whole time. Praise the lord for Digital photography and it's instant feedback.

it was my first hockey game so TBH I have no idea what league they are in. I do know the guys in white are the Victoria Salmon Kings, and I think the blues are the Roadrunners, not quite sure where they are from but I think it was either Dallas or Phoenix.
Ammonyte
Posted 15/05/2007 - 11:14 Link
When I saw the title to this thread I thought "Hooray! Pictures of women in short skirts"
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
Mongoose
Posted 15/05/2007 - 11:40 Link
sorry for getting your hopes up Tim, I should have specified Ice Hockey
Classvino
Posted 15/05/2007 - 14:08 Link
Ammonyte wrote:
When I saw the title to this thread I thought "Hooray! Pictures of women in short skirts"

No - hockey over here is played by tough individuals who sometimes have a little bit of a violent streak...

Oh...wait.... 'Hockey' over there is too...

(Remembering one year way back in high school rugby where the only game we lost all year is when the girls field hockey team at our school got tired of our success (well, tired of us talking about it anyway) and challenged us to a match of each - rugby and hockey. We were pretty confident before the match, but were humiliated by the end of the first one (rugby).... Injuries (and fear) caused us to concede the hockey match without actually playing it... They played tougher than any men's team we'd beat all year...)
--------------
MZ-6,K10D,K20D,Grip,DA*Zooms,DA 18-55-200 Kit,FA50,1.7TC,AFZ360
For Saleentax FA28-90,FA100-300,Sigma EX28-80,DC18-200,
Makinon 500mm Mirror
Mongoose
Posted 15/05/2007 - 15:33 Link
lol I remember playing mixed field hockey at school one term. Unfortunately our games teacher was obscenely competitive so that "mixed hockey" became "a bunch of guys who don't know what they are doing vs the school girls hockey team"

My ankles will never be the same again.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.