highs and lows

Simonmac

Link Posted 18/12/2016 - 16:46
Lows? Losing my job and being batted back from interview after interview.

Highs? More time to take photos! (whilst looking at lenses that I have had to let go or cannot afford...)
macmccreery.com
www.flickr.com/photos/simac/
www.500px.com/simac

Unlocker

Link Posted 18/12/2016 - 18:08
Highs

* turning an NHS minibus into a campervan for photography trips
* buying and selling kit to pay for
- K-1, DA*55, 24-70 & 70-200 + new filters etc.
- D500 & 400mm f2.8 VR
* finally expecting our first child after years of trying!

Lows

* Not having enough time to enjoy the new kit more!

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

johnriley

Link Posted 18/12/2016 - 18:34
Quote:
turning an NHS minibus into a campervan for photography trips

That sounds like a fantastic idea!
Best regards, John

Gwyn

Link Posted 18/12/2016 - 19:00
Congratulations on the baby Danny and Fiona, that is wonderful news!
Have fun with the camper too. We bought a ready made one and haven't regretted it.

K30pete

Link Posted 18/12/2016 - 19:14
Low... I thought to be lucky but my 3yr old K30 started to suffer from the well known aperture thingy issue on the second day of my summer holiday. I quickly bought a manual 50mm f1.7 for 19 so I could use the camera anyway. The next day I slipped and fell when trying to reach a waterfall in a gorge and it send the camera flying and repeatedly bouncing at the rock faces. My mate checked if I was okay and then started gesturing towards the waterfall.
As I was quite sore it took me some time to locate and retrieve the camera, luckily it wasn't submerged but it was getting a pretty decent shower.

High... yes it looks tatty now but no large cracks or any major damage and it was still working from the moment I retrieved it and now I've got a excuse to get one of those beautiful Samyang lenses so I can still enjoy my battered K30

McBrian

Link Posted 18/12/2016 - 21:35
Some nice highs here, especially Dannie's news

The high for me has to be the K1 along the DFA/DFA* lens line up (one still to get but I have Mike's trusty screw drive sigma

A few lows, missing out on early retirement with a redundancy package that would have made it worthwhile, 3 photography trips that were spoiled with miserable weather which resulted in a bit a photographic apathy, one more trip organised between Xmas and New Year so here's hoping

Ooh!! another high was seeing my team lift a league trophy
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Last Edited by McBrian on 18/12/2016 - 21:36

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 18/12/2016 - 22:05
Unlocker wrote:
Highs

First off - Congrats!! New muse coming soon then! Danny will be featuring baby portraits soon!

Secondly - I need pics of the campervan conversion, before, during and after
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm ii HSM Macro - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

fatspider

Link Posted 19/12/2016 - 01:09
Unlocker wrote:
Highs

- D500 & 400mm f2.8 VR

Lows

* Not having enough time to enjoy the new kit more!

Fantastic news, you'll really enjoy the campervan
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Northgrain

Link Posted 19/12/2016 - 08:50
Simonmac wrote:
Lows? Losing my job and being batted back from interview after interview

It can be so frustrating, but hang in there Mac. Fingers crossed you get a good opportunity very soon
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

Northgrain

Link Posted 19/12/2016 - 08:51
Unlocker wrote:
Highs

- D500 & 400mm f2.8 VR
* finally expecting our first child after years of trying

Bloomin heck Danny, you don't mess about. A camper and a wee one... fantastic!!! Hope all goes smoothly (on both projects )
Tim

Northgrain

Link Posted 19/12/2016 - 08:56
Lows: An unfortunate file erase incident when I thought I'd lost for ever RAWS of some of my best ever images. Luckily I turned out to be more organised than I thought with backups, but not a nice feeling at all

Highs: I had a really good Photographic 2016 overall (and have already posted on this), but two days really stand out - looking down on early morning fog in the Hope Valley from Mam Tor in September, magical conditions, and a quite astonishing April day of changing weather (and great photo ops) in Snowdonia.
Tim

Simonmac

Link Posted 19/12/2016 - 09:23
Thank you Tim.[.quote:3496ace15f="Northgrain"]
Simonmac wrote:
Lows? Losing my job and being batted back from interview after interview

It can be so frustrating, but hang in there Mac. Fingers crossed you get a good opportunity very soon [/quote]
macmccreery.com
www.flickr.com/photos/simac/
www.500px.com/simac

Gwyn

Link Posted 19/12/2016 - 10:02
Oh, sorry Simonmac, I missed your lows and highs. I hope you find something soon, and no longer have to stand with your nose pressed to the window but can afford some of that new glass you desire.

Unlocker

Link Posted 19/12/2016 - 18:23
Thanks for the kind words, we are very very chuffed!

Just for you Gareth I've done a thread on the campervan! 3k to spend on photography, so we bought a minibus! We are already having a lot of fun with it and looking forward to many trips next year.

Best of luck in the new year Simon, hope the job hunt goes well.

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

Stuey

Link Posted 19/12/2016 - 19:43
Firstly, I hope all of people's lows become highs or are accompanied by highs sooner rather than later.

Life, very much like my photography is OK, that sounds a bit boring but no real lows is something to be thankful for ☺

I'm milling along being grateful for what I have and just generally being contented - it feels good ☺

I have some fairly unambitious photographic plans and the means to realise them - just need the opportunities now ☺

Bring on 2017.
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.