Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Higher Hills walk

LennyBloke
Posted 19/04/2020 - 16:22 Link
Most of our walks over the last couple of weeks have been around the lower slopes, taking in the wooded areas and shaded slopes - today we moved up a level and walked mainly above the tree line to see some of the more classic views.

And any guesses as the lens used?

1. Malvern Link and the Link Common
Comment Image

2. Bench and Beacon (the Worcestershire Beacon in the distance)
Comment Image

3. Happy Valley and Worcestershire Beacon
Comment Image

4. North Hill (Herefordshire Beacon)
Comment Image

5. Contrasty Tree
Comment Image

6. The Beacon approach
Comment Image

7. Bluebells under the Tree
Comment Image

8. Fern and Moss
Comment Image

9. Descent through the woods
Comment Image

10. Bluebell clearing
Comment Image

LennyBloke
08tiger
Posted 20/04/2020 - 07:29 Link
Nice, last time I ventured up there it was pushing dad in a wheelchair.
Love those Malvern hills
C&C welcome.
Don.
johnriley
Posted 20/04/2020 - 09:48 Link
Great images, but a bit too big to enjoy properly, on my screen anyway. I have to scroll each image to see all of it. Limiting to 1000 pixels on the longest side would be a better viewing experience.
Best regards, John
Lubbyman
Posted 20/04/2020 - 11:08 Link
johnriley wrote:
I have to scroll each image to see all of it.

Same here. But then I turned the screen through 90 degrees, auto-rotate took care of orientation and the images fit perfectly. And well worth doing, too. A lovely set.

No idea what the lens is, though... but who cares, a good photographer can produce good pictures from almost any lens.

Steve
ronniemac
Posted 20/04/2020 - 11:29 Link
Another nice set of pictures, John.

I like to look at your photos by going to your Photostream on Flickr - this way I can easily view them to fit in the screen and click to zoom in if I want to.
Glad I did today because I found one that I really do like - the birch tree on the bracken hill (IMGP373. Lovely colour combination.
LennyBloke
Posted 20/04/2020 - 21:15 Link
Thanks for the comments - this nasty virus thing has certainly encouraged us to take our exercise and health more seriously, as you can see I live within easy walking distance of the Malvern Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty but last year I probably ventured up them less than half a dozen times, we are now up there around three times a week!

Glad these images have brought back some memories Don, from your shots you've clearly got plenty of Natural Beauty in your neighbourhood

I don't think there is a photo size solution that suits everyone John - for me there's nothing more frustrating than seeing what is clearly an excellent photo but at a size that just doesn't do it justice - that's why I tend to overdo the size a bit!

Thanks Steve - very generous comments And for the record the lens is the Pentax-FA 24-90mm F3.5-4.5 AL [IF] - far from a perfect lens, but it's range and light weight make it an excellent choice for walking with.

Cheers Ronnie - I tend to go to peoples Flickr Photostreams too, for the same reasons. It's funny choosing which images to put into a post, I often find my least favourites or misfits are preferred by others - I think perhaps I should have included the one you like in the set, so here it is as an afterthought

Comment Image
LennyBloke
cardiffgareth
Posted 21/04/2020 - 12:39 Link
Been up there once before and it certainly is nice. Isn't there a hill fort up there from memory?

No idea of lens but 2 looks wide angle with the bench and you've got good reach so I'm thinking something daft like a 28-200mm!!

PS - That last image with the deep blue sky against the silver birch tree
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
LennyBloke
Posted 21/04/2020 - 14:33 Link
cardiffgareth wrote:
Been up there once before and it certainly is nice. Isn't there a hill fort up there from memory?

No idea of lens but 2 looks wide angle with the bench and you've got good reach so I'm thinking something daft like a 28-200mm!!

PS - That last image with the deep blue sky against the silver birch tree

You're right Gareth - there is a hill fort towards the other end of the range ("British Camp"), but t hat's for another walk

The lens is the Pentax-FA 24-90mm F3.5-4.5 AL [IF]
LennyBloke
redbusa99
Posted 21/04/2020 - 20:42 Link
some lovely images John, not been to the Malverns since getting married but do remember climbing up to British camp.
odd lens or 2

Flickr
jvs
Posted 22/04/2020 - 06:59 Link
Lovely set, John.
John
pschlute
Posted 22/04/2020 - 07:09 Link
Lovely light in the latter pictures

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.