Hi everyone!

aliengrove
Posted 05/01/2010 - 10:42 Link
Hi everyone I have just joined. I am from Bolton, just bought a K7 with the 2 weather sealed lenses to replace my Olympus E520. I just wish the Sigma 10-20 I have for the Olympus would fit it! My wife has the Km which she loves so thought I would join her with my own Pentax.
techno-terminator
Posted 05/01/2010 - 10:52 Link
welcome .

pull up a chair on this snowy morning and settle in
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Greytop
Posted 05/01/2010 - 10:56 Link
Hi Jon, welcome to the forum. So you're another ex Olympus user
I had a E-510, 12-60 SWD & 50-200 SWD and 50 F2 before moving to a K20D and now the K-7. I still like Oly, in particular their zooms which are quite frankly hard to beat.
I jumped ship because I was hoping the E-30 would be weather sealed but unfortunately it was not to be. I ran both systems for a while and in the end found I was using Pentax more so sadly decided to sell my Oly gear.
Any particular reason why you migrated?
Regards Huw

flickr
JonSchick
Posted 05/01/2010 - 11:03 Link
Welcome from another ex-Oly user (in my case an E-1). Have fun with your gear! I agree with Greytop that Oly zooms are hard to beat though.

One thing which may be of interest: the Sigma 10-20 on 4/3 is equivalent to something like a 14-26 on APSC. One lowish cost option that may be worth jumping on while you still can (Park Cameras) is the recently-discontinued Pentax 16-45 f4. If you didn't live near the widest end of your Sigma, you may find the 16-45 a very cost-effective (£229) and decent IQ upgrade from the 18-55 kit lens. It's not WR (but then neither is the Sigma). I recently picked one up secondhand and have been very impressed with the IQ (build is decent but not outstanding).
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link
bforbes
Posted 05/01/2010 - 11:12 Link
Hi and Welcome to the Forum. The only Oly I know is the Owl.
aliengrove
Posted 05/01/2010 - 11:21 Link
Hi thanks for the replies! I changed to the K7 mainly because the Oly suffered from noise above ISO 200. I'd been waiting for them to bring out a weather sealed E3 upgrade but got tired of waiting. I loved the Olympus, got some great pics with it, but the weather sealing and noise issues persuaded me to get the K7. I do a lot of travelling and wanted a more robust camera.
As far as wide-angles are concerned, I'd like to go as wide as possible without going fisheye. Also without breaking the bank! I'd be happy if I could trade my 4/3 Sigma for a Pentax mount one.
Hardgravity
Posted 05/01/2010 - 11:21 Link
Welcome to the forum.

I only have an Olympus XA2 in my collection, oh and a TRIP! and a few Zenits, a lot of Pentax bodies....
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Greytop
Posted 05/01/2010 - 11:32 Link
aliengrove wrote:
Hi thanks for the replies! I changed to the K7 mainly because the Oly suffered from noise above ISO 200. I'd been waiting for them to bring out a weather sealed E3 upgrade but got tired of waiting. I loved the Olympus, got some great pics with it, but the weather sealing and noise issues persuaded me to get the K7. I do a lot of travelling and wanted a more robust camera.
As far as wide-angles are concerned, I'd like to go as wide as possible without going fisheye. Also without breaking the bank! I'd be happy if I could trade my 4/3 Sigma for a Pentax mount one.
Pretty much the same reasons as me then although I must admit I wasn't interested in the E-3 or a similar sized up grade (too large for me at least). I'm sure you will be happy with the K-7, it's robust, versatile and capable of excellent images.... a great camera

With regard to wide you could always keep an eye out for a second hand 12-24 in Pentax or Samsung guise.
Another perhaps short term approach is go for something like the 16-45 as Jon suggests and stitch images together using Microsoft ICE or Hugin. Both are free and work very well

Edit: Here is an example of three images (taken with my 16-50) stitched together with ICE

[IMG]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1585/boscastleinletpanorama.jpg[/IMG]
Regards Huw

flickr
Edited by Greytop: 05/01/2010 - 11:36
aliengrove
Posted 05/01/2010 - 11:32 Link
I had a Zenit, used it exclusively for B+W. Also had a Spotmatic, great camera, and a Ricoh KR10. Wish I'd kept the lenses......
I'll look out for the 12-24, how does the Samsung perform? Is it the same lens as the Pentax?
Edited by aliengrove: 05/01/2010 - 11:35
Greytop
Posted 05/01/2010 - 11:38 Link
aliengrove wrote:

I'll look out for the 12-24, how does the Samsung perform? Is it the same lens as the Pentax?
Effectively the same lens
Regards Huw

flickr
RichardDay
Posted 05/01/2010 - 15:01 Link
Hi Jon, and welcome to the forum.

I also have the D-Xenon 12-24 (just can't bring myself to say Samsung! :wink and as far as I can determine it's the same. It's excellent.
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link
mr.mellow
Posted 05/01/2010 - 15:07 Link
Hello Jonathan and welcome to the forum.
The older I get the faster I was.
Dave
K-3 II, K10D, DA16-85, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA18-55, DA 50, Sigma EX DG 70mm Macro, Sigma 70-300mm, Sigma DG 120-400mm APO HSM.
Metz 58 AF-1.

My Flickr link
konrads
Posted 05/01/2010 - 20:41 Link
WELCOME! SO!? WHAT DOES IT FEEL LIKE TO SHOOT WITH A REAL CAMERA? WELL DONE YOU WILL ENJOY IT!
K20D,24-90 3.5-5.6,50-135 2.8 + GRIP. SAVING FOR 60-250 F4
FUJI S6500 + FUJI Z33WP
Konrad
Hyram
Posted 05/01/2010 - 20:56 Link
Welcome

The DA 12-24 is a great lens
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
CoDa
Posted 05/01/2010 - 20:58 Link
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Colin
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)


[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo