Help with bird identification

Stuey

Link Posted 30/11/2010 - 19:40
Thank you all for your help.

I have made the error of trusting my little collins gem book a little too much - my fault - I'm not blaming the book.

The markings in that book do not relate to the bird in the photo.

Mayday, appears to have got it spot on and made me realise that I should have checked the RSPB site first again - my error.

My girlfriend, who bought the collins gem mentioned above for me, bought this as she was sick of my habit of taking photo's of birds without me having a clue what they were/are.

Following this post she has now bought me a rather large hard back edition of 'Birds of the British Isles' (or similar title) - I am off to improve my knowledge now, however the cormorant in that book also has different markings to the one in the photo (no orange) so confusion may reign for some time to come

Thanks again folks.

Stu
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

fatspider

Link Posted 30/11/2010 - 20:00
The answer is to join the RSPB and get the handbook for free although mine didn't really help in identifying your Cormorshagrant
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

pentaxanne

Link Posted 30/11/2010 - 22:39
defo a cormorant.
no crest, and yellow near the bill.
Last Edited by pentaxanne on 30/11/2010 - 22:41

i-Berg

Link Posted 30/11/2010 - 22:42
fatspider wrote:
The answer is to join the RSPB and get the handbook for free although mine didn't really help in identifying your Cormorshagrant

I was positive it was a shagmorant?
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

Mannesty

Link Posted 30/11/2010 - 23:10
It's a Cormorant.

The main differences in appearance between a Shag and a Cormorant are:-

1: Cormorant has a white throat
2: Shag has a crest on its head
3: Shag has a steeper forehead than a Cormorant
4: Shag is smaller than a Cormorant (but that's of little help unless you see the two species together).

Remember also that males and females of most bird species look significantly different to each other and to their respective genders at various times of the year. The breeding season produces the biggest variation in appearance.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 30/11/2010 - 23:10
Gwyn wrote:
Where's Daniel when you need him?

Not sure, I missed this.

Anyway, I am far from a bird-watcher, and even further from a coastal bird-watcher, but I thought Cormorant when I saw this. Throat looks a bit whitish.

Could be a juvenile, or just winter plumage I guess.

Seems like I wasn't needed anyway.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

saltholme

Link Posted 30/11/2010 - 23:18
100% (great) cormorant Phalacrocorax carbo. Adult - juvenile has pale belly and chest. Beloved by fishermen!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.