Help needed on Pentax timeline.
Posted 20/09/2012 - 11:55
Link
Matty
You'll find everything you need at http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/index.html
He gives the production lifespans for all the kit.
Good luck - intriguing project.
You'll find everything you need at http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/index.html
He gives the production lifespans for all the kit.
Good luck - intriguing project.
Posted 20/09/2012 - 12:38
Link
unfortunately that web site only covers K mount cameras which appeared in 1975, for 1973 I suggest a Spotmatic F
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 20/09/2012 - 13:09
Link
Thanks for your help,do you or anyone know how to find the exact year of manufacture of the camera via its serial number or is that just asking to much or have I taken this challenge/compition abit to serious.
Posted 20/09/2012 - 13:14
Link
Pentax serial numbers follow little logical progression, probably intentionally to disguise production numbers from competitors.
Best regards, John
Posted 20/09/2012 - 13:21
Link
johnriley wrote:
Pentax serial numbers follow little logical progression, probably intentionally to disguise production numbers from competitors.
Thanks John, so what you are saying is I will be lucky to match camera and year up exact, so better off getting the cameras that were in production that year, still the challenge has been set and if anyone has any ideas of what iconic Pentax cameras or even duds that were around those years, that would be great.
Pentax serial numbers follow little logical progression, probably intentionally to disguise production numbers from competitors.
Posted 20/09/2012 - 14:08 - Helpful Comment
Link
My First camera, a Spotmatic 500 was bought on the day I was born in 1973, my Dad claims it was new off the shelf so you could try that.
Paul
Paul
Digital
K-30, GX-10, DA 16-45, DA 18-55 and DAL 55 - 300
Film
ME Super, 2 x MX, SP 500 and SP F
and lense or 2
K-30, GX-10, DA 16-45, DA 18-55 and DAL 55 - 300
Film
ME Super, 2 x MX, SP 500 and SP F
and lense or 2
Posted 22/09/2012 - 11:08 - Helpful Comment
Link
I bought an SPII in summer '73 prior to a safari trip. The Spotmatic F therefore either came out in late 1973 or in 1974.
In 1975 the K series arrived, so you have a choice of K2, KM, or KX. I bought a K2, and it was a superb camera.
G
In 1975 the K series arrived, so you have a choice of K2, KM, or KX. I bought a K2, and it was a superb camera.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


996 posts
14 years
Staffordshire Moorlands
Once we have our cameras, children included, we will be having a little photo competition of our own, using the cameras that were made when we were made, so to speak,
So now I need help, the years I am looking for are 1973, 1976, 2003 and 2006, I am guessing my kids will be having abit of a head start as they will be using digital,
Any help would be welcome and once cameras are bought and pictures uploaded/processed we will post them on this site.