Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Help for Scotland

puma
Posted 22/05/2011 - 21:52 Link
Quote:
urrently 57 years and haven't even started on the landscapes yet.

lol you should come with me then lol
PPG link
johnriley
Posted 22/05/2011 - 22:35 - Helpful Comment Link
It's not possible to do Scotland in two days, or probably in a lifetime. We've been back many, many times and hope for many more, but still we've only scratched the surface.
Best regards, John
puma
Posted 22/05/2011 - 22:38 Link
Well John you made my mide up i will have to go for the week and i will. there are so many places to go phoooooooow still not made my mind up on were yet you have all given me food for thought
PPG link
doingthebobs
Posted 22/05/2011 - 23:03 - Helpful Comment Link
One thing about the Scotland, the roads are usually good. If you keep an eye on the weather forecasts and can be mobile then there is alway somewhere that is good.

The west coast is spectacular with fantastic light at times but if the weather comes in it can be very wet and visibility is nil. Pentax cameras suit Scotland with their weather proofing but there can be times when it is a bit too wet even for them.

Went up last year in September, intending to kayak around Knoydart and take in the mountains. Ended up storm bound in Mallaig for 3 days!

June should be a much better time to go. If your going up, I shall look forward to seeing your pictures when you get back.
Bob
Edited by doingthebobs: 22/05/2011 - 23:04
johnriley
Posted 22/05/2011 - 23:18 - Helpful Comment Link
Midges. Beware the midges in summer, they are vicious and have no mercy. A supply of good insect repellant is essential, especially near water, but do keep it out of contact with plastics, including parts of your camera kit!
Best regards, John
puma
Posted 22/05/2011 - 23:35 Link
Going to take K7 with Sigma 10-20mm lens and Pentax 50-135mm lens with a back up of kx and the wife lol do you think that will be ok ??
PPG link
Pentaxophile
Posted 22/05/2011 - 23:58 Link
Are you going to take an 18-55mm to cover that range?
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
puma
Posted 22/05/2011 - 23:59 Link
Quote:
Are you going to take an 18-55mm to cover that range?

didnt think about that?
PPG link
davidtrout
Posted 23/05/2011 - 10:30 Link
johnriley wrote:
Midges. Beware the midges in summer, they are vicious and have no mercy. A supply of good insect repellant is essential, especially near water, but do keep it out of contact with plastics, including parts of your camera kit!

If you go in summer take a liberal supply of Avon Skin So Soft it repels the midges. The guys who maintain the overhead power lines across the Highlands use it.
As John and Gartmore have said you need a lifetime to 'do' Scotland, its a vast and varied country. Most people head for the Highlands, say Glen Coe or Skye but much further north there is the spectacular scenery of Glen Torridon and north of Ullapool there's the Inverpolly area.
But there's a lot to see in Scotland in addition to the Highlands. Fife has some wonderful fishing villages and the heritage village of Culrose.
The Borders are beautiful, from where I live I can pop up there in the car for a day trip as easily as I can visit the English lakes.
Like I said earlier, two days just aint enough.
David
Edited by davidtrout: 23/05/2011 - 10:32
Blythman
Posted 23/05/2011 - 10:37 Link
davidtrout wrote:
If you go in summer take a liberal supply of Avon Skin So Soft it repels the midges. The guys who maintain the overhead power lines across the Highlands use it.

Caravan contains umpteen bottles David. Works for me too
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Edited by Blythman: 23/05/2011 - 10:37
jeff0000
Posted 23/05/2011 - 11:02 Link
sounds like great fun
playing firm but fair all the way
gartmore
Posted 23/05/2011 - 14:31 Link
Midges = Bodyshop Mens Moisturiser
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
gartmore
Posted 23/05/2011 - 14:35 Link
davidtrout wrote:
johnriley wrote:

As John and Gartmore have said you need a lifetime to 'do' Scotland, its a vast and varied country. Most people head for the Highlands, say Glen Coe or Skye but much further north there is the spectacular scenery of Glen Torridon and north of Ullapool there's the Inverpolly area.
But there's a lot to see in Scotland in addition to the Highlands. Fife has some wonderful fishing villages and the heritage village of Culrose.
The Borders are beautiful, from where I live I can pop up there in the car for a day trip as easily as I can visit the English lakes.
Like I said earlier, two days just aint enough.
David

Dumfries and Galloway is one of my favourite areas and people zap by it heading north up the M74. Kirkcudbright is a beautiful little town. It still has the jougs (scold's bridle) chained to wall of the tolbooth.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Northgrain
Posted 23/05/2011 - 14:44 Link
Quote:
Dumfries and Galloway is one of my favourite areas and people zap by it heading north up the M74.

Weirdly, I was about to say exactly the same . And the benefit of it being closer to the 'southlands' is less time driving and more time for photography / fun

Quote:
Oh the landscapes have got to been well out of the way from any people at all.

I've walked in the Galloway Hills all day sometimes, and not seen a soul...

I'm off to Arran on Saturday for half-term week, so also looking forward to some Scottish landscapes
johnriley
Posted 23/05/2011 - 18:41 Link
Quote:
Dumfries and Galloway is one of my favourite areas

Us too, wonderful place. We had a great time staying in a flat in Kirkudbright about 18 months ago.
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.