Help external hard drive jiggered.

abesad

Link Posted 02/06/2010 - 06:59
JohnX wrote:
Hi Sue!

From what I've read here it appears that the actual HDD is ok; it's the USB connection thats failed.

If that's the case it will be possible to transfer the drive from its existing case to another and get it working again. Replacement cases are quite cheap and can be bought on-line or in shops like Maplins, or a computer repairers will help.

Oyen only seem to make one ext HDD; I see they also sell the external enclosure separately so with luck they'll send you one. All you'll need to do then is swap the HDD itself from the old enclosure to the new one.

Hi, I have been in touched with Oyen, they suggested to try a cheap casing from ebay which I have now bought, and if it worked then they will send a new casing. If doesn't work then they said about sending it back to them, so will have to wait and hope it is just the casing and not the hard-drive that is jiggered. Thanks again everyone for all your help.
regards susan

Helpful

whelmed

Link Posted 02/06/2010 - 16:04
Huge warning for you sending your drive back. Often manufacturers don't guarantee that you'll get your data back - what they normally do is just send you a brand new unit and junk the one you sent them. I'd be hesitant to send them anything and if the ebay solution doesn't work I'd probably go to a local computer store and see what they say next.
K-5; Siggy 10-20 f4, 30mm f1.4, 18-50mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8; Tammy 400mm f4, 500mm f8

Helpful

abesad

Link Posted 02/06/2010 - 16:07
whelmed wrote:
Huge warning for you sending your drive back. Often manufacturers don't guarantee that you'll get your data back - what they normally do is just send you a brand new unit and junk the one you sent them. I'd be hesitant to send them anything and if the ebay solution doesn't work I'd probably go to a local computer store and see what they say next.

Thanks for the warning, might do that if doesn't work, although I hope it sorts itself out.
Thanks again
regards susan

Helpful

abesad

Link Posted 03/06/2010 - 13:19
Hi everyone, Just to let you know, getting that casing from ebay, put my external drive into it and I have all my photo's back, also other stuff which I forgot I put onto the external drive as well. So all ok again. Thanks everyone for all the help, I knew if I came onto here with my problem, I would get help.

johnriley

Link Posted 03/06/2010 - 13:28
Fantastic news, really pleased to hear all is restored.
Best regards, John

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 03/06/2010 - 14:36
Good news indeed! Now just make sure you have at least two copies of everything.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

Helpful

abesad

Link Posted 03/06/2010 - 14:39
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Good news indeed! Now just make sure you have at least two copies of everything.

Dan

I will, I have bought another external hard-drive, so will be putting them on both. Thanks
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.