Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Hello and a Request For Help Please!

GBR
Posted 04/03/2016 - 19:30 Link
Hello Everyone,

Well I have just joined and must admit that I already feel like a bit of a fraud because I do not own a camera. However, I have joined this forum in the hope of some unbiased information please.

I am without question a complete beginner, just taking the odd holiday snaps with my Panasonic bridge camera, but promising myself one day to purchase a DLSR and get more in it.

Ok, you can all have a laugh but my fascination is old Railway Stations, Railway Lines and landscapes, and these are the subjects in which I want to develop my skill.

I couple of years ago I picked up a magazine that was doing a review f the Pentax K 50 and it was quite a rave review too. This is the camera for me I thought, and when the time comes this will be my camera of choice.

So some years later I find myself in a position to have enough time now to start putting things into action. So off I trot to the local large camera shop and ask if I could look at the K50? This was immediately greeted with the salesman giving me a grin, “ You don't want to touch that sir, the lenses have very little choice, and the company have gone backwards, what you should go for is the Nikon D5300”. Yes but it has received rave reviews in the magazines, to which he told me that Pentax pay the magazine to give it a good review.

So off to the next largest outlet where again I got a chuckle and story that Pentax were in trouble, there product was far behind that of Nikon and Canon and once again the concern about the lenses was raised.

I want home a very unhappy man but the next day decided I would phone the on line dealers on a national basis. I think I phoned a total of nine during the course of the weekend and every single dealer without exception recommended the Nikon D5300 as being far superior by way of lenses, quality of picture, oh and how noisy the Pentax was in operation. Nobody, suggested that I go for the Pentax.

I still like the look of the K50 and the weather proofing is a fantastic feature, especially as I'm going to be outdoors mostly.

But as I said at the beginning, I am a complete beginner, don't know an F stop from a Iris. I have no idea ho and what to believe, I'm never going to be a professional it's just a casual hobby.

So as you guys are the Pentax users, I just wondered why are all the retailers against me purchasing the K50, in the Nikon D5300 really that superior?

Well hope you don't mind, or to this effect, not offended by my request, and of course I do than you in advance for any help and advice you can give.

Regards,

GBR
gtis
Posted 04/03/2016 - 19:51 Link
Hi
This is typical sales talk if you live in the UK I suggest you phone SRS Microsystems in Watford
And see if you get the same answer and as far as the Pentax being noisy I get many a complement On my Pentax having a quite shutter
cheers Neil
pentax k3
DA* 300 f4 DA* 50-135 f 2.8 smc DA* 16-50 f2.8 50mm f1.7 pentax1.4xhd converter

Panasonic Dmc Fz200
Edited by gtis: 04/03/2016 - 19:52
ilovesaabs
Posted 04/03/2016 - 20:03 Link
Welcome GBR - I think you ought to name these dealers, just as a reminder for others to avoid them. Even the most experiences users have to deal with misinformation from the sales staff.

What does the D5300 have the K50 doesn't - tilt screen. 24Mp vs 16Mp, some Wifi/NFC abilities.

Did the sales staff ask what you want? Does not sound like they did.

You are more likely to receive the most unbiased selling of any Nikon gear from somewhere like Grays of Westminster who sell only Nikon gear.

What they say you get with Nikon D5300 that you wouldn't get with Pentax - greater range of lenses. Actually at the price level the choice is no better . Someone who can pay £8000 for a Nikkor 500mm f4E would not be using a D3/5/7*00 series camera. Also someone looking at that price point (£400-500 for camera body) aren't likely to looking for a
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Gwyn
Posted 04/03/2016 - 20:03 Link
Apart from SRS, and the guy in Albuquerque who sold me my first Pentax (Thank you guy in ABQ!) that is exactly the reaction I have received whenever I have bought a new camera or a new lens. I have lost count of the times over the years that I have been told Pentax will be broke in six months and my gear will be worthless, and why not switch to Nikon/Canon/Son whoever is paying them more commission.

Pentax cameras aren't perfect, but we all love them. They are intuitive to use, and there are more than enough lenses to keep anyone with LBA (lens buying addiction) happy.

Give SRS a call, say you are a forum member, and see what they can do for you.

When you are ready come bac and as away for help and advice. No such thing as a stupid question, though you may get a few stupid answers
ilovesaabs
Posted 04/03/2016 - 20:04 Link
is there a word limit on here???

I'll finish off the last sentence...

aren't likely to be in the market for a 2.8 telephoto zoom lens
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
RobL
Posted 04/03/2016 - 20:32 Link
I was in exactly your position about 18 months ago, wandered into the local LCE store and was handed a Nikon. My only knowledge of brands was from many years ago and Nikon was a brand I really fancied but couldn't afford. So, with one finally in my hand I felt quite underwhelmed; it felt cheap and plasticky. How about Pentax, I asked? He handed me a K50 and it felt far more like a 'real' camera; he was quite knowledgeable and said any older Pentax lens would be fully compatible so I was hooked. I ended up getting a white one from Clifton Cameras on a good deal and have never regretted it. Big pluses over the competition are the weatherproofing and the 100% prism viewfinder - the competition at that price point use a cheap mirror arrangement which needs costly cleaning and only gives a 95% view through the viewfinder so you don't get what you see. On top of that the shutter count is 50% higher which indicates a more robust and durable construction.
SteveLedger
Posted 04/03/2016 - 20:45 Link
gtis wrote:
Hi
..as far as the Pentax being noisy I get many a complement On my Pentax having a quite shutter

The flagship DSLRs (K-*) all have a nice quiet shutters by comparison to the K-** consumer models which could wake the dead. The K-50's shutter is loud. I had one after the K-7, the difference was extreme.
Also much louder is the dust removal system. The K-* models use UltraSonics while the K-** models shake the sensor plate which is quite alarming.

Having said that, those retailers who spout disinformation mostly do so as they are under instruction to promote another brand.
The K-50 is a fine camera and feels better than any Nikon/Canon.
Yes the lens selection is very high, but this 'Available Lenses' card is a red herring, no-one sets out to own them all. You buy what you need and that's it.
Edited by SteveLedger: 04/03/2016 - 20:48
Northgrain
Posted 04/03/2016 - 22:11 Link
I've a spot of deja vu reading this - I was here 5 years ago.

When you take the leap into 'serious' cameras, and dslrs or other types of systems, it's a big deal which brand you pick . You need to work out what is most likely to work best for you.

I had the same experience, lots of folk saying why go for Pentax? All brands can help you step up to more serious photography. But for me the answer was that the kit felt right for me when I handed it - so well made and solid - and I knew I would enjoy using it. It feels good to use, so much better than the rival brands, and that's half the fun of it. I knew I would be focusing on landscape photography, so the WR was a big draw.

So I've used Pentax gear for 5 years now, it's been great to use and as a 'learning' photographer I've been delighted with the cameras I've used and the whole Pentax system. There's no sign that the brand is declining - indeed recent developments suggest it's on the up and being invested in... And the fact you can use a whole tonne of legacy lenses on the system is great when you move beyond the starter set/kit lens.

It's completely up to you what system you go for, but IMHO Pentax is for a discerning clientele who don't automatically believe the hype. Pentaxians are individuals... we don't follow the crowds.

And we really enjoy our photography
Nigelk
Posted 04/03/2016 - 22:36 Link
I've no experience with Nikon and Canon cameras. All I can say is I've never regretted choosing Pentax. Great handling cameras, a joy to use and a selection of reasonably priced weather sealed lens to go with your weather sealed camera. The current camera that I would say has replaced the K50 is the K-S2 which I bought a few weeks ago with the 18-135mm wr lens, what a great bit of kit. I think you can buy with confidence.
JohnX
Posted 04/03/2016 - 23:49 Link
At the price point you're looking at you won't buy a bad camera from Nikon and others, but there's something that just feels right when you pick up a Pentax that the others don't have.

More to the point, the K50 is weather resistant, which I don't think is the case with similarly priced models from other manufacturers, as are many Pentax lenses, and given your outdoor interests would seem better suited.

You'll end up like the rest of us; standing in the rain happily making photographs whilst the Nikon shooters are huddled under the nearest shelter with all the other non-Pentax togs!

I've always felt that Pentax make all their cameras for photographers, whereas the others make plenty of cameras for people who just want to feel safe with a camera that everyone else has.
Edited by JohnX: 04/03/2016 - 23:54
SteveLedger
Posted 04/03/2016 - 23:52 Link
*Provided you use WR (Weather Resistant, not Sealed) lenses.
GBR
Posted 05/03/2016 - 09:53 Link
Hello Everyone,

I really am overwhelmed with the kindness of your responses! Thank you so much.
It's a pity that the retailers cannot be more impartial with the advice they give to beginners and their prospective customers, it really doesn't help their reputation in the long run.
Well you have all certainly all managed to put my mind mind at ease regarding my purchase, I was so pleased to hear that the horror stories I had been hearing were just not true.
I will be over in the Watford area in a couple of weeks time on business so I will, as suggested, make a call at SRS where I will hopefully complete the purchase.
It really was a timely event in finding this Forum, because after all the duff advice I had received during the past few weeks I was set on buying the Nikon this very weekend! Phew, a very timely intervention.
Anyway, really cannot thank everyone enough for their kindness and taking the time to impart such fantastic advice.

Sincerely,

GBR
PeterE
Posted 05/03/2016 - 11:01 Link
I can only endorse what everyone has said here. I have been taking photos for quite a while and have changed brands, I started off years ago with a Pentax k 1000, used Olympus OM and used Canon for a long time. I've been using Pentax for the last five years now and don't regret it. The truth is that all the cameras will produce great images, but the defining factor is the person handling the camera. I own a K 50 , it is a good camera and will do everything and probably more you need it to do very well. I have returned recently from .iceland where it was hit with freezing rain, snow and coped with very cold temperatures perfectly.

If you are in a short distance from Hampshire I am happy to loan this to you for a day and go through the controls and operation.

Pete
K3, K50

Only doin' it for fun
davem
Posted 05/03/2016 - 11:02 Link
Hello,

Keep watching the' local meets' section of the forum as you could meet some of us and see what the different Pentax systems are like to handle. There are also lots of good deals and kit to be found in the 'classified' section and in the 'Leads to deals'.

Ask as many questions as you can here as there is an incredible amount of knowledge and experience. No question is considered daft. I have learned loads over the last few years.

Above all relax and enjoy you photography some people take it far too seriously

Dave
sportyman531
Posted 05/03/2016 - 11:03 Link
You did the right thing by asking Pentax owners and users what it's really like to have a Pentax. My first Pentax was the KX which I got a good deal on 5 years ago. I really chose it for it's light weight and compact size, I still have it now with the Pentax 18-135 "walkabout" lens. When I am out photographing trains I have two K5's, one with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and the other with the Pentax 55-200 f4-5.8. These two go into a Tamrac bag and are reasonably compact and light when tramping over the hills and moors. The comment that there aren't many Pentax lenses is a complete red herring, there are more and more Pentax lenses coming out and all K lenses are compatible. As you can see I use three lenses, If it's dull and I'm struggling with the 55-300 I revert to the 17-50 with it's f2.8 maximum aperture and leave the long zoom until another day. I couldn't justify £1,000 - £2,000 for a telephoto zoom with a wide maximum aperture, nor would I be prepared to lug it around with me. I know my equipment and what it can do. Just as important I also know it's limitations and work within them.
SRS will give you impartial advice, they won't try to sell you something you don't really want. Good luck and show us your results in the gallery!
flickr ID: SteveW46243 or sw46246
DA AL 35mm f2.4, K3,18-135 WR, DA 55-300, Pentax KX, K5 x 2, 18-50 50-200 kit lenses, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Fuji X10, 2x Mamiya 1000s 2x 80mm f2.8, 150mm f3.5, 210mm f4, Yashica 124G TLR, 2x Yashica FX3 Super 2000, Tamron 28mm f2.8, 90mm SP f2.5, 135mm f2.5, Olympus 35RC, 2x Yashica FX2, Kodak Pocket Instamatic, Kodak Box Brownie

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.